Texas Fishing Forum

Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation?

Posted By: coolj

Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 01:54 AM

Bring out the spears and shoot away! No, back and forth for defending why individuals support the organization.

Also, please don't use derogatory or personal attacks in the post. If you stopped supporting the organization because of people please keep it professional as possible.

Looking for answers to why individuals (that were over 1000 members) have stopped supporting this organization.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 01:58 AM

Thought about fishing it next year. Have too much scheduled this year.
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 02:14 AM

Looked at it a couple of times. Maybe I'm just slow but seems like they make it way too complicated. Can't just go to one website and sign up.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 02:24 AM

I won't be fishing this year due to the combined regional championships. I prefer a championship with each region as it's been done for years.

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 02:28 AM

Not to mention b.a.s.s. reduced the number of classic births a couple years ago.

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 02:30 AM

The only reason to fish the b.a.s.s. Federation was the LONG shot to the classic. Since they keep making it a longer shot I can't see any reason to fish it.
Posted By: ShallowWaterKing

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 02:56 AM

*^^ yes it seems like to much to keep up with, as long as your a BASS member you should be able to fish these tourneys. To long of a process.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 03:23 AM

I can't find any schedules. I would like to understand how it works and how I can fish. I do not and will not join any clubs. I also do not like the fact of co anglers being able to advance to boater positions.
Posted By: David Rush

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 04:12 AM

I have too much going on. Still might do the north central region. Even though region championship is combined you're still just fishing against your region right? I don't like that the long shot got longer either. That's one thing I always thought was great about the Classic.

Andrew, co's compete against co's now. Correct me if I'm wrong but, I think at least through the regionals.
Posted By: David Rush

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 04:13 AM

Schedules
http://www.texasbassonline.com
Posted By: petro

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 04:16 AM

Long process and need to be on a club if I understand correctly. Drop the club requirement and im interested.
Posted By: Ron Gunter

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 05:07 AM

All valid points. It is a long shot to make it to the classic...but it still happens. This year's BASS Nation Champion actually made it to the final day as a co-angler. Nobody figured that it was possible, but it happened.

The main argument for/against "The Nation" is payouts. Texas has several circuits that have very respectable payouts...the Nation not being one of them. The "carrot" is the Classic berths...and maybe a chance to qualify for the Elites. TTT, Bass Champs, and others will get you some good reward $, but at the end of their season...that's it until next year.

To answer some of the questions posted: You do not need to be a member of a sanctioned club anymore. You can fish in any of the regional events in Texas as an "At Large" competitor. And you can qualify for the State Team through these regions. You do have to be a B.A.S.S. member to participate, and register for membership in the Texas BASS Nation. The registration fees are slightly higher than for club members...but it can be done. Once the regional seasons have concluded, each region holds a Championship tournament to determine a boater and non-boater from that region. There are 20 State Team qualifiers (10 boaters/10 non-boaters) who then compete at a National Regional where the top boater and top non-boater from each state are invited to the BASS Nation National Championship. After 2 days of competition at the National Championship, the top 10 boaters, and top non-boater from the country move on to the third and final day where the top 3 overall finishers earn the Classic berths.

A second way to attempt to qualify for the Classic is through the BASSMaster "Team Trail". There is a circuit in Texas (and many other states) where several teams (from the State Championships) are invited to the National Championship. After two days of competition, the Top 3 teams are divided into 6 individuals...who hold a fish-off, with the Individual Champion receiving the Classic berth. Texan Tom Martens made it to last year's Classic via this route.

The Texas BASS Nation has had several members make it to the Classic over the years...Albert Collins and Brian Schmidt to name a few. Wouldn't recommend getting into the Nation for the payouts. But if you have aspirations to maybe someday making it to the Classic...this is pretty much the reason why those who fish this do what they do.

Now...for the reason for the drop in membership: When ESPN took over ownership of B.A.S.S. in 2005, the first thing that they did was raise the membership dues. ESPN planned to market Ray Scott's baby into a money-maker from the get go. A man named Robert Cartiledge (Oklahoma Federation) asked ESPN to explain the reason for the increase in dues. ESPN refused to explain the rise in dues...and one thing led to another. Robert, and six other Federation members had their lifetime memberships with B.A.S.S. revoked...ending up in the creation of a new Bass Federation with the FLW group.

As in most (if not all) circuits in Texas, the Texas BASS Nation boys are good people...whose drives are more for the Golden Carrot, rather than a hefty payday. No shame in pursuing either in my opinion.
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: James Biggs
I won't be fishing this year due to the combined regional championships. I prefer a championship with each region as it's been done for years.

X2, keep the regional lines drawn for all tournaments...the only reason for combining the two is greed to up the jackpot...if the region fished for just points to qualify for the regional championship with the prize being the state team birth would there still be a push to combine the two regions ?... I don't think so... Have a good year !
2cents

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 03:36 PM

Not here to defend but clarify the reason for joint or combined championship.

1st regional spots are still awarded to regional anglers (spots for regions don't change) - anglers benefit especially if they fish two regions

2nd larger field offers payouts to boaters and co-anglers in separate payouts - anglers benefit

3rd larger field will also give anglers the opportunity to receive incentive rewards from boat, tackle, and other sponsors.

Hope this clarifies the reason for a combined championship.

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 03:49 PM

Thanks for the great explanation for BASS Nation championship - Just want to reinforce or clarify that One boater and One co-angler from Texas will have a shot at fishing for the Classic so nothing has changed. All of the top performers from the country will compete in the BASS Nation Championship a field similar to an Open event and the top 3 finishers will qualify to fish the BASSMASTERS Classic
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 04:28 PM

I don't understand why regions have different rules and formats... maybe that has changed. I was also turned off by some of the rules applied to the SE region, and some decisions made on the fly. Like calling a trailer event after half the field launched, and then being told I could not trailer since I had launched and I had to wait till they released me, The rest of field had a start fishing time. Having a rule to be out of the water by a certain time or your disqualified, instead of stop fishing time. If u launched at a busy ramp you had less fishing time. I am one that thinks rules should be written, and clear, not made up on the fly.

I have been disqualified from an fed event, but that was a good decision by the TD. I made a mistake, and tried to weigh in a line burner.

But saying all that, the SE region has good numbers, and I will fish 1 or 2 events if possible this year. But this also lead to me not wanting to participate for the season. I know in the past change always makes people leave a trail.
Posted By: tpvegas2213

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 04:49 PM

Scheduling
Posted By: Phnx#22

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 05:49 PM

Mr. Gunter explains it to the tee. Bryan, I think that has been resolved and should no longer be a issue with the trailering event/s.

Some of us fish the BASS Nation just because it is a great trail. The SE TX BASS Nation directors have done a great job to promote and grow our region. The group of anglers is top notch and it is no easy feat to win one of these events. Myself personally, I enjoy this trail due to the level of competition and the quality of the people that I fish against. No matter who is in what club, we all come together when it is needed to help and support each other. The SE TX region is full of class act anglers and I firmly believe it starts with our directors.

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 08:37 PM

To all -

For clarification, a Texas BASS Nation member can fish any region and can also fish multiple regions to try and qualify for the state team to move forward to the BASSMASTERS Classic. This was one reason why there was a combined regional championship to allow anglers to fish one tournament and get two shots at making the coveted state spots.

So, the combined championship allows an angler who qualified in one region to fish for their spot amongst their region and at the same time allow someone who was good enough to qualify in two regions to fish for two spots. In other words, the combined championship rewards anglers who are trying to make it to the state team, not to increase the jackpots or prize money. BASS Nation entry fees are only $75 - $85 dollars depending on big fish pots and regional fees. Most regions field about 25 - 35 anglers at this time so in reality the way to the classic is not going to cost you a fortune and allows you to fish where you want to fish. Hope this clarifies some of the questions about BASS Nation.

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 08:58 PM

The process is pretty simple to the Classic and not as LONG as many contend.

Fish one or both depending on your fishing ability and time

1) Fish a regional trail (average 5 tournaments); qualify for championship; top boater and co-angler from regional championship moves on to Texas State Team (6 regions and 12 state team spots are awarded)

2) The final 8 state team spots are awarded to the highest finishers at the State Club championship where the Top 6 anglers (3 boaters and 3 co-anglers) compete for the remaining spots (4 boaters and 4 co-anglers)

Once you make the state team

3) Fish a Divisional Championship on a designated lake and the top Texas Boater and Co-Angler move on (1 in 10 shot for boater and co-angler)

Once you finish the divisionals

4) Compete in the National Championship as Boater and Co-Angler and the Top 3 - anglers out of 200 anglers makes the Classic.
a) Note a co-angler will have the right to fish as a Boater on the final day to fish for Classic (co-angler qualifies with total weight)

Basically it is a 4 step process and a total of 6 fishing tournaments that can put you in the Classic (the total cost would be less than $3,000). So, I'm not so sure why people are scaring away potential anglers as the real process is not as difficult or a long shot as described. The real test is really how good you are as an angler at the grassroots level and your ability to win when it counts (regional championship, divisional championship, and then National Championship).
Posted By: bassman81259

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/10/17 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: tejasbass
Looked at it a couple of times. Maybe I'm just slow but seems like they make it way too complicated. Can't just go to one website and sign up.

All Texas BASS Nation Regional trails are working on a process to allow sign up through an automated manner.
Hope to get that in place in 2017, and it' already accomplished in the SE Region.
Hopefully, everyone understands that you must be a BASSMASTER member first, and then you can either join a club to obtain Texas BASS Nation membership, or sign up as an "at large" member. There are some clubs that only fish the Regional events, which make it even less time consuming - qualifying you to complete for the State Team either through the Regional Trails, or through the TX BASS Nation Top-Six event.

There are 20 spots (10 boater/10 co-angler) awarded to Texas. 6 (six) spots (6 boater/6 co-angler) are awarded at the championship of each Region in Texas (there are six based on areas of Texas). And 4 spots (4 boater/4 co-angler) are awarded at the State Top Six event - which all Texas BASS Nation Clubs may participate in.
Posted By: BassKarma

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/11/17 01:02 AM

The hastle
Posted By: PK Logistics

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/11/17 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: BassKarma
The hastle

This.

Plus it is a lot easier in my opinion to advance through FLW.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/11/17 03:31 AM

for someone on a fixed income...just to expensive
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/11/17 04:01 AM

I can't catch fish on tournament day....
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/11/17 11:57 AM

After running across this thread I went to the website and couldnt tell if the site was for a bass tournament or Obamacare.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/11/17 01:20 PM

It's time for me maybe after this thread you will start one on the top 6 of the federation.
Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/11/17 03:01 PM

I used to fish the BASS Nation, but as it has been clearly revealed in this post... way toooooo complicated for very limited rewards for those fishing competitively and seriously. Like James Biggs said.

I was considering fishing it this year, but after searching the webpages, I realized the process was still the same and it all came back to me as to why I stopped fishing it.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/11/17 06:14 PM

I agree with Billy that site stinks. I couldn't find schedules and wasn't going to dig through 85 pages of stuff. Maybee it's because I'm using a smartphone but seems like it would be compatible.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/11/17 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
After running across this thread I went to the website and couldnt tell if the site was for a bass tournament or Obamacare.

roflmao
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/11/17 08:10 PM

I have been fishing the Southeast Fed. Nation for the last 3yrs. I live in Midlothian (just south of Dallas) I make the drive to all of the tournament (including driving to Coleto Creek for the tournament this weekend. This coming year will be my forth.

In this time the one thing I have seen that keeps me coming back is a genuine effort for continuous improvement of the tournament. The check in process has been simplified. And yes you have to be checked in at the tournament site or ramp by a given time- but you no longer have to be off of the water.

They count only 4 of 6 tournaments toward year end standing- so if you are one of those weekend anglers who has to occasionally work weekends or have a family commitment that prevent you from fishing all 6 tournaments you are not penalized for missing one or two.

One other point. This region has averaged every year over 170 anglers who actually fished and turned in at least one fish. There are some really stout sticks in this region. As mentioned above Albert Collins has fished in 2 Classics. So if you are looking at just jumping in to Jack Pot a tournament I wouldn't recommend fishing in this region. If you are wanting to fish with a really great bunch of fisherman with the chance of making it to the classic then by all means fish the Nations.

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/26/17 12:03 AM

bump
Posted By: KutTail71

Re: Why don't you fish Texas BASS Nation? - 01/26/17 02:17 AM

I have to agree with Texascajun. This will be my 4th year also 1st as a boater. Couldn't come across a better bunch of guys and good sticks. Sure there the bad apples, but they are everywhere.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum