Texas Fishing Forum

Tips for a Co-Angler

Posted By: gut hooked

Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 07:24 AM

I am new to tournament fishing and will be fishing this year as a co-angler in several BASS federation tournaments.

I don't want to embarrass myself in the boat fishing with a person I don't know.

I am looking for any help with rules, written, and unwritten, for being a "good" Co-angler.

I am a competent, and on some days a good, fisherman. I know how to catch fish and am comfortable with multiple presentations.

Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: petro

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 07:40 AM

Just relax and fish the water in front of you the way you like to. Dont worry about what the guy up front is doing. Be respectful of his equipment and have fun. Keep it simple.

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 09:25 AM

Excellent insight Petro. Thanks..... GH
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 12:44 PM

Bring your own Cheetos and red kool aid, also watch where you wipe your hands peep
Posted By: BAGaBass

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 01:04 PM

Don't bring excessive amount of gear. Don't step on his seats. If you smoke and he doesn't, ask first. Johnny on the spot with the net every time he hooks up. Ask him first thing in the morning about his rules for the boat. If he is a talker,engage in conversation. If he doesn't talk much,shut up and fish. Enjoy.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 01:53 PM

Talk to him about netting a fish. Make sure you know how HE wants it done and adjust if necessary. As stated before, be quick with the net when he is hooked up. Keep your gear organized and out of his way. Treat his boat better than if you owned it. Be fair on what you chip in for gas and expenses. Have fun! Being a co can be a great experience. Good luck!
Posted By: BigBassB

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 01:57 PM

Biggest advise I can give, would be to be respectful of the boaters equipment and water. Communication goes a long way. Don't assume anything, ask. Enjoy, and learn as much as you can.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 02:01 PM

Do a search on here. Several guys have asked similar question and have gotten good info. I have posted a few times about it and will see what I can find from previous posts. Have fun and be respectful of your boater.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 02:03 PM

Here you go

Coach

Co-angler info
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BAGaBass
Don't bring excessive amount of gear. Don't step on his seats. If you smoke and he doesn't, ask first. Johnny on the spot with the net every time he hooks up. Ask him first thing in the morning about his rules for the boat. If he is a talker,engage in conversation. If he doesn't talk much,shut up and fish. Enjoy.

Plus don't ever drip dye on anything.
Posted By: EZ_Legend

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 02:46 PM

Good points on the netting, to me that is where I have had the most challenges with guys I fish with whether in my boat or theirs.

Some guys like to bring the fish to the net and some guys want you to get in there and scoop her up.

I'd say everything else is bases on respect and treat everything as if it were yours (and brand new).
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 02:52 PM

All good advice, I think being a Co can be frustrating, and keep an open mind as to why your doing this as a co. But realize the boater has found these spots, and he should have first casts to many spots. I think brush pile fishing and parallel fishing are frustrating for Cos. But if the brush piles are productive you just learned something.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/06/17 02:59 PM

If you happen to ever draw Rick Clunn I can help you out, don't say $hit all day or cast past the drivers seat. Repercussions could be classified as a felony. Having said that, you can learn more in one day than you would in 5 years fishing by yourself.

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/07/17 09:43 AM

You guys are great. I truly apprestate the insight. This is what I love about this board. Thanks again.

GH
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/08/17 01:07 AM

after pairings are made make sure you talk, hopefullly the boater will be honest abouts his patterns, so you can pack efficiently. Over the years i've had about 20 percent lie. so be ready for all types of fishing.
offer him some money $40 to $60 buck to help offset his expenses. if you place in the money during the tournament give him some more, 10 percent of the check.

4 to 5 rods max, you should be able to fish different lures on each rod. fish "your" confidence baits.

bring your own drinks and food, live vest, rain gear, etc.

as others have said, respect his boat.

be able to cast from either side of the boat, in todays boats the co-angler constricted by seats and power poles, practice a quick roll cast or pitching method. never fish out the back of the boat unless it is stationary. NEVER cast in front of the boater, unless it is on the opposite side/ deeper side of the boat whle he is fishing down a weedline or bank, but ask first. if the boat is a clock, and your trolling, the boater should fish from 12 to 3, and you should fish from 3 to 5. if you can get in sync with his casting you might be able follow behind him at about 1 or 2.

you should never ask the boater to turn around to retrieve a snagged lure, be ready to break it off.

keep your gear organized, so when he says its time to move, you are picked up and ready to go before he sits down.

most of all have fun.
Posted By: ScottCook

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/08/17 01:38 AM

Not much else to add except don't walk around so much or heavy on the back of the boat and as a result be rocking the boat.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/08/17 03:38 AM

Here is a post I made about it several years ago as well

Co angler
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Tips for a Co-Angler - 01/08/17 04:47 AM

Offer gas money up front. 40$ is minimum.

If you are in any way hesitant to back up or park his rig. Tell him!

Do not talk or wine. Let your boater fish unless he starts asking. Never criticize his decisions unless they are dangerous. You will catch more fish without your boater spinning out.

JMHO
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum