Texas Fishing Forum

Fairfield Lake Info

Posted By: Rev. Dick

Fairfield Lake Info - 01/05/17 03:37 PM

Fishing a bass tourney at Fairfield January 14. I've never been on the lake. Looking for some help on where to start and what to try. I know there was a recent fish kill and am wondering how much that is affecting the lake and the fishing. Thanks for your help!
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/05/17 03:59 PM

No recent fish kill
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/05/17 10:08 PM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/search
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/05/17 10:27 PM

I haven't fished that lake in a couple years but can start you off but keep in mind I haven't been there in a couple years. LOL

Leaving the ramp I would go straight towards the dam go to the left into that cove and fish a fluke (watermelon seed) or a Wacky rig redbug zoom trick worm all along the face of the reeds on your left. If no bites pretty quick pick up a black / blue jig (I like 3/8oz) with a decent size trailer (craw) and punch the edges of the reeds and into the reeds a bit. Still no luck turn around and use a Strike King 3xd along the rip rap there on the left end of the dam. Still no luck go to the other end of the dam and repeat the process on those reeds / rip rap.

If still no luck go back towards the ramp to the discharge cove and pick up a Carolina rig with about a 3' leader and a small bait like a zoom finesse worm or an ultravibe speed craw sit the boat about 3 full casts away from the discharge barrier and cast towards it. Still no luck leave that cove and go to the right and work the trees / reeds past the discharge cove. Use chatter baits , spinner baits, small (KVD 1.5) cranks and flukes along that shoreline until you figure them out. I hope some of this helps and keep in mind I haven't been there in a couple years.

Jody
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/05/17 10:56 PM

^^^^^ Very generous and solid advice--- part of that worked two weeks ago when I was there.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/05/17 11:22 PM

^^^^ wow.... now that's some detailed advise!
Posted By: AWT786

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/06/17 04:59 PM

No fish kill at Fairfield in roughly five years. Also no plans to shut the plant down in the near future. The lake should continue to get better.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/06/17 05:33 PM

Trump should have the coal mines up and running again soon and all the power plant lakes will be back to their old glory

#trumpsamerica
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/06/17 06:49 PM

[quote=Weekender]I haven't fished that lake in a couple years but can start you off but keep in mind I haven't been there in a couple years. LOL

Leaving the ramp I would go straight towards the dam go to the left into that cove and fish a fluke (watermelon seed) or a Wacky rig redbug zoom trick worm all along the face of the reeds on your left. If no bites pretty quick pick up a black / blue jig (I like 3/8oz) with a decent size trailer (craw) and punch the edges of the reeds and into the reeds a bit. Still no luck turn around and use a Strike King 3xd along the rip rap there on the left end of the dam. Still no luck go to the other end of the dam and repeat the process on those reeds / rip rap.

If still no luck go back towards the ramp to the discharge cove and pick up a Carolina rig with about a 3' leader and a small bait like a zoom finesse worm or an ultravibe speed craw sit the boat about 3 full casts away from the discharge barrier and cast towards it. Still no luck leave that cove and go to the right and work the trees / reeds past the discharge cove. Use chatter baits , spinner baits, small (KVD 1.5) cranks and flukes along that shoreline until you figure them out. I hope some of this helps and keep in mind I haven't been there in a couple years.

thumb
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/06/17 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: AWT786
No fish kill at Fairfield in roughly five years. Also no plans to shut the plant down in the near future. The lake should continue to get better.

TPWD says there was one in 2014. Can anyone comment on that?
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/06/17 10:46 PM

If they had 1 in 2014 it was very small. Never heard about it and it didn't hurt fishing.

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/06/17 10:55 PM

I work at the plant. It's been roughly 5 years since there has been a significant fish kill. We also caught red fish there last year at our park. Lake also hasn't received much pressure the last few years. Lake should be headed in a good direction.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/07/17 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: AWT786

I sure hope it doesn't but back in 2014 they were saying it will be closed by 2018.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/energy/2014/08/29/east-texas-coal-mine-closing

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/07/17 01:42 AM

The Dallas Morning news also endorsed Hillary. They have been putting out false news about us forever. They are liberal and anti coal. Don't believe what they say. We are hoping coal and the power industry has bright days ahead with Trump.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Fairfield Lake Info - 01/07/17 03:35 AM

The plant is OLD, its days are numbered, trading house was a newer plant and its already been torn down. Good news is, they seem to be generating more this winter than last, so theres that.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum