Texas Fishing Forum

Got an issue, need thoughts please

Posted By: EZ_Legend

Got an issue, need thoughts please - 01/03/17 10:39 PM

On New Year's day I got out on the water and did the same startup, warmup and run as always. I was buzzing across the lake 35-40 mph and engine starts to bog and dies.

I tried to start with a couple of cranks and it tried too but didn't start.

I pulled the cowling and the breather and it was obvious it flooded out.

Could this mean I need to rebuild carbs or does it sound like the electric choke kicked in?

I left it open and fished for about 45 minutes then it stared right up and no issues the rest of the day.

Never had this happen, never an issue cold starting or running.

It's a 1996 Johnson Fast Strike.

Thanks!
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Got an issue, need thoughts please - 01/03/17 10:52 PM

If you don't get responses here, try BBCFORUM NET. They have a specific Evinrude/Johnson section. I've found they guys that respond there are pretty good. I have a Yamaha, so not much help. If it happened on mine, I would be thinking a diaphragm was going out.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Got an issue, need thoughts please - 01/04/17 12:04 AM

Nothing is likely wrong with it. Those older Johnson's would loose their prime on cold days. I bet if you had pumped up the bulb it would have been just fine. Next cold day idle for several hundred yards at a fast pace, giving every thing to right itself and the auto choke time to adjust to the occasion.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Got an issue, need thoughts please - 01/04/17 12:38 AM

Could've been just a piece of trash making its way through the jet. Happened to me before on my old boat.
Posted By: EZ_Legend

Re: Got an issue, need thoughts please - 01/04/17 01:29 AM

Ok, thanks guys!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Got an issue, need thoughts please - 01/04/17 02:13 AM

The only thing I might do if it hasn't been taken care of in a while is replace the fuel line with the bulb on it. If there is a pin hole and they really show up when things are cold; then it was sucking air and not fuel.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum