Texas Fishing Forum

Trailer tires

Posted By: patriot07

Trailer tires - 01/02/17 02:34 AM

Can't find any recent info. Both of my 6-year-old Kumho 857 radial tires have bulges, so I'm going to replace them. Heard good things about Maxxis, but nothing in stock locally. Tire Rack has TowMax STR II by Power King in my size for $60 apiece plus $15 shipping. Any opinions on those?

Read too many bad reviews about Carlisle, so those are out. Seem some options from Triangle and a couple others I can't remember, but don't know what the consensus is on the most cost-effective option?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Posted By: rongleaves

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 02:46 AM

I just put some of the TowMax STR II's on mine. Good so far but can't speak for their long term reliability.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 02:49 AM

I just bought a tire from etrailer and so far so good. It's a Taskmaster 215-75-R14 radial and D class that runs on 65 Lbs. pressure. Most boat trailer tires are 205-75-14 and I decided to go one size larger. I thing it was around $85 and free shipping. Check'em out. I was running Goodyear Marathons and they just aren't a very good tire. One thing that's disappointing, all these brands of tires Goodyear, Carlisle, Maxxis etc. are made in China. Don't know if any tires are made here anymore.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 02:52 AM

I dont get all the bad reviews on the Marathons I have always had good luck with them 50psi and no problems.

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: lamoon78
I dont get all the bad reviews on the Marathons I have always had good luck with them 50psi and no problems.
Google Goodyear marathon China. Ever since they switched from USA to China, they've had excessive blowout issues.

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: rongleaves
I just put some of the TowMax STR II's on mine. Good so far but can't speak for their long term reliability.
Thanks.
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
I just bought a tire from etrailer and so far so good. It's a Taskmaster 215-75-R14 radial and D class that runs on 65 Lbs. pressure. Most boat trailer tires are 205-75-14 and I decided to go one size larger. I thing it was around $85 and free shipping. Check'em out. I was running Goodyear Marathons and they just aren't a very good tire. One thing that's disappointing, all these brands of tires Goodyear, Carlisle, Maxxis etc. are made in China. Don't know if any tires are made here anymore.
Will do
Posted By: CB327

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 03:08 AM

I have run both on the boat trailer and rv trailer. Not Very good luck after two years. Both bubble and separate. I think it involves prolonged sitting. I replace them every two years.it is cheaper to do this than the damage they cause when they blow out or sling the tread. Just my opinion. I'm
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: lamoon78

Since they started making them in china I've personally had 5 blowouts with them between mine and my dads boat. I always check air pressure. They just come apart with no sign.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 03:52 AM

http://www.herculestire.com/tire-gallery/commercial/medium-truck/trailer/#loaded
Posted By: 361V

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 09:51 AM

Maxxis. Order from Discount tires.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 10:00 AM

Stick with Kumho
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 12:00 PM

Hercules tires I run on my vehicles havent used the trailer tires but if they are as good as the truck tires they should be good.
Posted By: 79Ranger168V

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 01:03 PM

I've been running gladiator tires on my last boat and about to replace all four on my current boat trailer. They have been good. Similar to the Hercules in design. $52 each is what I paid. I would recommend getting the heaviest load range you can find for your size trailer tire, and make sure to run trailer service only tires. I think a lot of blowouts and premature wear on trailer tires come from people buying whatever tire they can get first which is usually a load range b. Make sure to get at least a load range c, and if you have a single axle get a d

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: 79Ranger168V
I've been running gladiator tires on my last boat and about to replace all four on my current boat trailer. They have been good. Similar to the Hercules in design. $52 each is what I paid. I would recommend getting the heaviest load range you can find for your size trailer tire, and make sure to run trailer service only tires. I think a lot of blowouts and premature wear on trailer tires come from people buying whatever tire they can get first which is usually a load range b. Make sure to get at least a load range c, and if you have a single axle get a d

+ 1 on the load range D for single axle trailers. I have a Skeeter ZX190 and the boat is too heavy for a 3500 lb. single axle trailer. A load range D recommends 65 lb. air pressure as opposed to 50 for a C tire and that helps but still, the boat should have been on a tandem trailer

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 02:11 PM

Thanks to all for the input. I have load range D tires with the Kumhos. I had USA-made GY Marathons put on by the manufacturer (load range C) on it before that which lasted 11 years. But I don't have any interest in the Chinese-made Marathons. I think the Kumhos being a little stronger is why they hadn't blown out even with bulges, but I hate that they both have bulges after 5-6 years, so I probably won't go back with those. I feel like the better option is to buy cheap Chinese tires and just plan on replacing them every 4-5 years than buying expensive stuff and it still only lasting 5 years. I'll make some calls today about the Maxxis, Gladiator, and Hercules. I need to get a piece on the trailer fixed too, so whoever has stuff in stock will probably get my business unless they're all expensive. I have today off, so I'd like to get it all fixed & done and not have to take off work to deal with it after tires are shipped in. But I also don't want to make a bad decision today based on convenience and regret it in 2-3 years, so your input is much appreciated and will be heavily considered when I'm talking with folks today.
Posted By: EZ_Legend

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 03:05 PM

I've got three "supercargo" and one triangle. Had them for about a year now, been to Fork a couple times, PK, Ray Roberts SEVERAL times, local lakes uncountable times. The triangle looks just like the marathon tread wise... I have a marathon for a spare. No issues yet....knock on wood. (I'm in North Fort Worth for distance referance)

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 03:06 PM

While you're at it patriot be sure and check the camber, caster and toe. Over time these can change running up and down bumpy roads and cause tire wear. Most, if not all, have 3500 lb. axles on single axle trailers and two 2800 lb. axles on tandem trailers. If you're getting 4-5 years on a set of tires you're probably OK but doesn't hurt to check before you mount new tires. Good luck today.
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Trailer tires - 01/02/17 04:53 PM

I am with 361V - Maxxis and buy the extended warranty
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Trailer tires - 01/03/17 12:39 AM

Maxxis best trailer tire I have ever used. 6 ply and awesome.

Re: Trailer tires - 01/03/17 03:11 AM

Discount Tire didn't have Maxxis in stock and their cost for mount & balance was high. Tires were $100 apiece plus mount & balance.

Ended up taking my boat to Rockwall Trailer. They had said on the phone that they carried Gladiator and could order in the D-rated in my size if I wanted them. When I got there, they said they couldn't. I also needed them to weld something on the trailer that had been knocked off my someone in the boat ramp parking lot (no note left of course), and they couldn't do it without lifting the boat off the trailer and had no means to do that. So I drove the boat/trailer on some tires with bad bulges over there for nothing. Fortunately, Tommy at Rockwall Marine is going to take care of the welding issue and I ordered some Gladiator D-rated tires in for $52 apiece plus shipping. There is a place in Greenville that will mount them for $8 apiece, so I'll have to take the risk of driving the boat home on crummy tires that could blow out at any time, but I guess I have Rockwall Trailer to thank for that. I only called them because of a good review they got on here, but I'll never go there again.

Re: Trailer tires - 01/03/17 12:30 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Rockwall Trailer, will avoid them. Rockwall Marine is the best in the business, I've done business with them and they're A-1. Might consider taking the tires off the trailer instead of pulling the trailer to Greenville. Usually the referrals you get on here, especially the ones on Good trade-bad trade are right on. Hope the tires work out for you.
Posted By: flowjack

Re: Trailer tires - 01/03/17 02:33 PM

MAXXIS-2nd to none!
Posted By: varnoldi

Re: Trailer tires - 01/03/17 04:59 PM

Im about to replace my 4 as well. Any input on power king towmax?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...romCompare1=yes
Posted By: squib

Re: Trailer tires - 01/03/17 06:17 PM

Just now scheduled to get 4 Maxxis M8008 215 75 R14.

Discount Tire quoted mount and balance with road hazard for $450 out the door.

Just FYI
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum