Texas Fishing Forum

No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this

Posted By: tbucket101

No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 12/31/16 12:37 AM

So last year I swore I would be adding Talons or PPs before this coming Spring-ain't gonna happen. I have a Shallow Wator anchor pole that I can deploy on the rear but the wifey smacks it every time she casts so it doesn't get used often.

I was brainstorming and thought about mounting a MK deckhand electric anchor that I can stow/ lower/retrieve quickly....anyone use this or have any thoughts?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 12/31/16 12:42 AM

I used one for a while. Not a graceful thing...but it works.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 12/31/16 01:10 AM

Sounds like you will just have to crank the trolling motor up and keep your foot on it all day into the wind like we did for years. I do like my Talons though and wouldn't trade them for anything on a 20mph day in march.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 12/31/16 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris B
Sounds like you will just have to crank the trolling motor up and keep your foot on it all day into the wind like we did for years. I do like my Talons though and wouldn't trade them for anything on a 20mph day in march.

Same here with my Power Pole. I don't miss the days of having to run the TM in reverse with the wind blowing at my back. I just wish I had gotten the 10-footer.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 12/31/16 02:08 AM

Have become very fond of my Power Poles. They are definitely great tools and worth the $.
Posted By: BVF_LoP_Guide

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 12/31/16 07:19 PM

When fishing off shore I will lower my PowerPoles down even with the motor if needed. Great investment!
Posted By: burner42

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 12/31/16 09:00 PM

I am upgrading to Talons very soon, selling 1 Black 8' Power Pole Pro Series with all mounting brackets and hardware, 2 handheld/neck remotes. It is in great shape and fully operational. PM if interested, putting in classifieds soon. Asking $1000.
Posted By: dr.juice

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 03:06 PM

ultrex.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: dr.juice
ultrex.

Nothing like burning up your battery just trying to keep in place while you re-tie, cull, ect.
Posted By: BigCaseyB206

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 04:35 PM

ultrex.

Shallow, deep......it don't matter where you're at - that'll keep you on your spot! I had a Xi5 on my last boat and thought it'd be wasted money to get shallow water anchors.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: burner42
I am upgrading to Talons very soon, selling 1 Black 8' Power Pole Pro Series with all mounting brackets and hardware, 2 handheld/neck remotes. It is in great shape and fully operational. PM if interested, putting in classifieds soon. Asking $1000.

Upgrading ? That's funny
Posted By: BigCaseyB206

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark3
ultrex.

Nothing like burning up your battery just trying to keep in place while you re-tie, cull, ect.

Never had a battery issue and I stayed on spot lock constantly while over brush piles. Keep your batteries charged and you shouldn't have any problems.

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper

Upgrading ? That's funny

Your easily entertained.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 05:53 PM

Upgrading ? That's funny

Your easily entertained.

I guess two talons compared to a power pole is an upgrade, just jacking with ya man wink
Posted By: Clark3

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 05:55 PM

Upgrading ? That's funny

Your easily entertained.

*you're
Posted By: dr.juice

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 06:40 PM

Never had that problem. Have you used one yet?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 07:36 PM

I had a Minn Kota deckhand on my little aluminum rig and it was mostly a PIA. It worked well for about 3 months then it became a hassle. The rope would get coiled, you couldn't pull the anchor all the way up due to the chain and it would flop against the aluminum, the mount above the rope became dented due to the constant in/out of the chain attached to the rope, and the rope will start fraying eventually due to the constant in/out motion. Now this was 10 years ago, so I can't speak about the current models. If it were me, I'd just get a single Power Pole.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Minner Bucket
ultrex.

Never had a battery issue and I stayed on spot lock constantly while over brush piles. Keep your batteries charged and you shouldn't have any problems.

I agree. My Ultrex is amazing. I used it all 12 hours yesterday, mostly on Spot Lock, and my batteries could've lasted another 12 hours. If put your money into getting quality batteries and you charge them properly, they'll last you longer than you think.
Posted By: tbucket101

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 08:28 PM

I like the idea of getting a spot lock type TM, especially since the new Maxxum is giving me headaches lately, to help with the lack of a shallow anchor. But, same situation, spending $$$ on a couple graphs. I knew buying an aluminum boat wind would be an issue, but even with a spot lock, I think I would still struggle with holding the boat in shallow water. Two Talons would be the fix but unless I find a good deal on (2) 8'ers, $1500 or less, not happening this year.

Appreciate all the feedback!
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 09:40 PM

I've used 12v and 36v terrova ipilot for 12 hours and more. Have never had a low battery issue. Wouldn't fish without one. As far as the op question, I was with a guide that had one on the back of his boat. He'd lower it the water and lower another anchor up front to position the boat at the angle needed. I guess the advantage to the electric is that he could let out cable or pull in as needed from up front. He had a talon mounted there also. I've thought about adding one on the back of mine for certain situations

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/01/17 11:51 PM

Upgrading ? That's funny

Your easily entertained.

I guess two talons compared to a power pole is an upgrade, just jacking with ya man wink

No worries, I know everyone has their personal preferences. I had a pump issue and dumped hydraulic fluid in the bottom of my boat, had it fixed, and leaked again after I had cleaned all the old fluid out. Still has a residue after using hull cleaner etc. do not want that to happen again.
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/02/17 12:04 AM

The Ultrex sounds like an elegant solution if you stay in clean deeper water, but seriously, what do you do if fishing in a shallow weedy area..say 2-3 feet?
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/02/17 01:47 AM

Anchor and a rope. I use mine in shallow water all the time but my lakes don't have weeds to disturb the fish even more.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/02/17 01:50 AM

Just get 2 power poles and give the wife a casting lesson
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: No go on Talons or Power Poles-thoughts on this - 01/02/17 05:12 AM

This!The Ultrex is awesome!
Originally Posted By: Minner Bucket
ultrex.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum