Texas Fishing Forum

DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and....

Posted By: Jamaica

DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 01:39 PM

My boy and I wanted to try a different rod. So we bought ours from Academy. Long story but he broke his tip off his Lew rod. So we was headed to the hill country to my buddies place. So We stopped at a Academy and took his rod back. Heck I told the guy I didn't like the rod action. So we grabbed us the Duckett rods. My boy is off for Christmas break and he went fishing with his buddy. (pond fishing) He called me and said my rod eye came loose. I told him I have rear on TFF that happened. So looks like we head back to Academy tomorrow evening. We fish about 2-3 times a week, mostly pond bass fishing. Kinda wanting another brand rod in the 100.00ish price range. What do you recommend?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 01:41 PM

Falcon
Posted By: Barn

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 01:55 PM

Two trips and two broken rods? Sounds like he might need to use an Ugly Stick... noidea

You might take a look at the Falcon Bucoo. Nice rod for the money.

Posted By: Drodge

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 01:56 PM

Powell inferno.

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Barn
Two trips and two broken rods? Sounds like he might need to use an Ugly Stick... noidea

You might take a look at the Falcon Bucoo. Nice rod for the money.

Nah, we got them the 2nd week of November and we fish 2-3 times a week. So they got a few cast on them fish. We 1st started out with Ugly Sticks. I had used Ugly Sticks for year. But my teenage boy got into fishing and as much as he LOVE to fish. It was time to get whatever he thought was good for us. 1st broken the tip off the Lew's then the 2nd rod the eye came loose on the Duckett.
Posted By: G_Mize93

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 02:11 PM

Temple Fork Outfitters my man. You won't be sorry. cheers they have rods priced from 100-up and they are all fantastic sticks. Plus they are made right here in Texas! thumb

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: G_Mize93
Temple Fork Outfitters my man. You won't be sorry. cheers they have rods priced from 100-up and they are all fantastic sticks. Plus they are made right here in Texas! thumb
Do they sell them at Academy? We buy our rod from there cause of the return policy. thumb
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 02:42 PM

"WHEN & IF" I buy a rod off the shelf, I inspect it thoroughly to make sure some jack-wagon or his little kid hasn't beat the [censored] out of the tip against something. I see it happening all the time. In fact I had a guy just Monday night slap me across the back with a cheapy combo at Bass Pro.

While were talking about Academy---If you are buying a rod pay attention to the tag. I saw one Academy that had several Lew's rods on the shelf that were sold as Tournament Lazer combos that had the reels removed. If a person is not aware of it could be paying $149.99 for a rod that is actually sold for less than $50 alone.
Posted By: Los Lagos

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 02:45 PM

https://www.skeeterboats.com/owners-tourney

best 100 dollar rod I have used
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 04:01 PM

Its prolly not the rod. Its the idiots that handle the rods in the store. I was in Academy the other day and 2 little kids were whipping each other with rods.
As far as Ducketts go, I drop shot with them and have had the same 2 rods for years now and never had an issue.
Posted By: Resh

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Jamaica
Do they sell them at Academy? We buy our rod from there cause of the return policy. thumb

They do not sell them at academy, but TFO has outstanding customer service and stands by their products warranty's without a hitch. Bass Pro carries them
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Falcon

This...

And FWIW, I've never returned a rod to the store. I've broken tips, broken them down the shaft a couple of times trying to flip a fish that I shouldn't have flipped and I've had a couple of eyes come loose/inserts come out. Only twice have I felt like the rod company "might" have been at fault and they were, imo, sub-standard rods to begin with that I thought I would try out.
Eyes and tips, I rewrap or glue another on. Rod snaps due to something dumb that I've done....I own it and go buy another one.
Posted By: Los Lagos

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 05:29 PM

That little linkey up there will get a hundred dollar TFO sent to your house:)

just sayin
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 05:30 PM

Learn how to fix eyes. It's a simple cheap fix actually. Yes it's a pain to buy a new rod and have an eye come out but I have some rods that lose eyes occasionally. The rod itself is solid.
Posted By: BigHead248

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 05:30 PM

Bought a Duckett from Academy and the EXACT same thing happened to me! I went to the mojos and bucoos and haven't had a problem.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 07:21 PM

Abu Garcia Veritas .....$99
or the Ugly Stik
my Ugly Stiks have landed more 7 & 8 pound bass than I could count.
those bad boys can set a hook like no other ....... the old original Ugly Stiks
The new Lites S...K
Posted By: Jdunn12

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 07:49 PM

Falcon, they sell them at academy and if you prefer to deal with direct they are great. Even if it's your fault most of the time they will replace it with a small fee.
Posted By: CHIG68

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 08:08 PM

Falcon BuCoo
Posted By: G_Mize93

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Reshelman

They do not sell them at academy, but TFO has outstanding customer service and stands by their products warranty's without a hitch. Bass Pro carries them

As stated above no, they do not sell them at academy. Online through TFO, tackle warehouse or at Bass Pro is your best bet. I searched religiously to find a new company of rods in a practical price range to use after having mutiple Duckett rods bite the dust from various reasons. A good buddy turned me onto TFO and I haven't looked back since. I have had to return several ducketts in the past for a new one and never had an issue switching one over with Bass Pro. But that's just been my experience. Either way, good luck with whatever you decide! fish
Posted By: Mulkey

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 09:09 PM

HALO FISHING RAVE Casting Rod 7' Heavy $69 www.halofishing.com

Posted By: Connor S

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 09:28 PM

My boy and I wanted to try a different rod. So we bought ours from Academy. Long story but he broke his tip off his Lew rod. So we was headed to the hill country to my buddies place. So We stopped at a Academy and took his rod back. Heck I told the guy I didn't like the rod action. So we grabbed us the Duckett rods. My boy is off for Christmas break and he went fishing with his buddy. (pond fishing) He called me and said my rod eye came loose. I told him I have rear on TFF that happened. So looks like we head back to Academy tomorrow evening. We fish about 2-3 times a week, mostly pond bass fishing. Kinda wanting another brand rod in the 100.00ish price range. What do you recommend?

Duckett rods are a joke. They literally have gray plastic tape that holds their guides on under the epoxy. There is thread, but it's so loosely wrapped that it's just there to make it look like they are wrapped with thread. So cheaply made they should go with a Zebco combo.. seriously they are awful, and less sensitive than an ugly stick lite.

For a Benjamin look at H20 Express Rods and the Falcon Bucoo. They have their inherent issues as well, like the Bucoo having the reel seat secured with double stick tape instead of rod building epoxy but they are WAY better than the Duckett's. And much more sensitive.

Good Luck and Tight Lines!

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 12/29/16 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: CHIG68
Falcon BuCoo
Think we will try these guys out. lol, kinda tempted going back to the ole Ugly Stick! freak

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 01/02/17 01:22 PM

Went to Academy and done the exchange.... Grabbed us a couple All Star Rods. Tried them out VERY well built rod and sensitive rod! Overall satisfied.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 01/02/17 08:01 PM

Dobyns fury those cheap Ducketts are junk
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 01/03/17 05:13 AM

Falcon BuCoo
Posted By: KingChamp202

Re: DANG IT! Bought a Duckett rod in NOV. and.... - 01/03/17 05:42 AM

Nothing wrong with a good old Berkley Lightning rod for pond fishing. Just throw it in the truck bed afterwards!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum