Texas Fishing Forum

Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis???

Posted By: "Old School"

Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 11:58 AM

Lately I've been using chatterbaits and then it happened, after several bass I should have re-tied and got ahold of a big one and broke off. Lost the last one, in that size, of my favorite bait. Dang it!!! So I tied on a Snagless Sally and it was on again! Now I'm fishing this lure a lot more!

What older baits do you guys have confidence in???
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 02:25 PM

Dalton special
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 02:26 PM

Jig is my favorite old school lure when they are biting it.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 03:35 PM

Mine has to be the sensation if I can still find them... my buddies dad used to call them a chicken foot. I have a secret stash of them still..
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 03:57 PM

All the old school spinner baits. The Flick hit off is one of my favorites now.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 03:59 PM

Chatter bait
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Insurance man
Chatter bait
Sorry didnt read entire post...I would say a red fin
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 05:09 PM

A tiny torpedo is never too far from my reach.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: GeoFisher
A tiny torpedo is never too far from my reach.

whopper plopper...basically a torpedo on steroids
Posted By: rsmith

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 06:27 PM

nip-I-diddee
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 06:33 PM

A Hot Spot or Rattle Trap! hooked
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 08:41 PM

Small Okie Bug, been outta production forever. Bought 150 of them from the original owners son a few years back.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 08:54 PM

Heddon lucky 13 or river runt.
Posted By: Jim N

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 09:48 PM

Big-O......
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 10:27 PM

Heddon Devil Horse in either the Black back/chrome or in the Green Perch. You can fish it over grass baits only 1" below the water.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 10:32 PM

Bagley BangOlure
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 10:40 PM

Rattle trap, long A
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 10:57 PM

H&H
Posted By: pdawg

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 10:59 PM

I always done well on the old pico perch

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 11:10 PM

I forgot to mention my old Bagley Killer B's. I'm a bank fisherman that will wade into the water to retrieve these baits.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 11:47 PM

Still love the little clear tiny topedo. Also, the Cordell Near Nuthin is a great schooling bait that I still use..
Tom Mann's Wooly Booger spinner bait.
One of my favorites was the old Arbogaster deep crank bait. It was a killer. I'm about out of Bombers. I have one left and it was my Dad's. I can't use it.

I wish someone would start a company called, Vintage Lures.
i bet they would sell. Especially at todays prices

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/05/16 11:51 PM

I enjoy looking at EBay at the older lures and then I recall I had a lot of these lures.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 12:47 AM

Herb's Dilly
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 01:35 AM

I'll take any old Bomber Pinfish that no one wants.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 01:40 AM

6" Black Grape Mann's Jelly Worms.
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 01:40 PM

Mepp's all the way.
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 01:41 PM

Heddon Sonic
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 02:14 PM

H&H spinnerbaits.....I used to kill them on those little suckers.....now....I have too much "pride" to throw them.....
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 03:01 PM

Clear Billy Bass top water; I've had it 30 years and still catching fish. Caught a three pound crappie on it fishing a bass tournament on Lake o the pines many moons ago.
Posted By: wtex55

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 03:16 PM

Heddon Meadow Mouse!
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 06:53 PM

Pork-O. Still have a decent stash of them, although I have had to rework and resalt them.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 08:35 PM

Bomber Long A in Honey Hole specialty color Fire Fire Tiger
Posted By: RED70

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 09:49 PM

Geek lizard
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 10:56 PM

Original jawtech fliptail lizard, honey hole bought the mold and I have some of them too. They work great 25-30+yrs old too. All the lids on my stash of porkO's rusted shut yrs ago, they were a wild looking bait in the water, big fish bait no doubt.

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 11:11 PM

Some of my favorite spinnerbaits were produced by companies no longer in existence. They consisted of Horizon, which later became Terminator. I think I have some that were made by Oldham. Okiebug also. There a couple left that has Superdog stamped on the blade.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/06/16 11:24 PM

Fliptail floating lizard but no longer made and running low on them. Some one in Arkansas bought the molds and selling non floaters. fish
Posted By: machinist

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/07/16 02:15 AM

Rebel Super R in chartruse with a black back
Posted By: 361V

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/07/16 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Original jawtech fliptail lizard, honey hole bought the mold and I have some of them too. They work great 25-30+yrs old too. All the lids on my stash of porkO's rusted shut yrs ago, they were a wild looking bait in the water, big fish bait no doubt.
Yep. Big old PorkO on a 5/0 weedless hook caught me big fish!
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/07/16 02:38 AM

father passed away a few months ago and was going through his old tacklebox --what a time capsule !
found some old jitterbugs - river runts -little george-tiny torpedos --mister twister curly tail

havent even thought about these baits in 30 years but i think will take them out and fish them just to honor the man who taught me to love fishing !
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/07/16 04:10 AM

Spook
Posted By: duckkiller72

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/07/16 04:43 AM

Thin fin

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/07/16 07:13 AM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
father passed away a few months ago and was going through his old tacklebox --what a time capsule !
found some old jitterbugs - river runts -little george-tiny torpedos --mister twister curly tail

havent even thought about these baits in 30 years but i think will take them out and fish them just to honor the man who taught me to love fishing !

thumb
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/07/16 10:52 PM

Would a Power Worm be considered an old lure?
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/07/16 10:59 PM

laugh
well - old would be a relative term !
if its old to you --and you feel like you should give a go -- theyre are no wrong answers
good luck !
Posted By: jagg

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/07/16 11:10 PM

Heddon Baby Lucky 13. Used it targeting bass, speckled trouts and reds. Best schooling topwater I've ever thrown.
Posted By: ForkedJames

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/07/16 11:37 PM

Jawtec Salty Dog Lizards and Bogus Wigglers. This will be the last spring and night fishing season using them. I have not used them every trip. Keep waiting on Richard McCarty to replenish me...
Posted By: Bucketmouth69

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/08/16 04:13 AM

Johnsons Silver Minnow...With a small fluke as a trailer, that is a lure I can throw in anything, and it snakes, flashes and falls like a mo fo!
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/08/16 04:51 AM

Jitterbugs!!!!! Still great topwaters
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/08/16 01:55 PM

Zaragossa in chrome-blue.
Posted By: falcon202

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/08/16 10:50 PM

White Beetle Spin still works.
Posted By: bcatb

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/08/16 11:08 PM

Bagley's Tin Foil Shad is one of my old faithfuls.
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/27/16 02:28 AM

Crazy Crawler . still have a few.
Posted By: JRammit

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/27/16 02:35 AM

Rapala original floater... I make my own version now, but same idea and same results!
Posted By: Thecrankster

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/27/16 03:00 AM

Culprit worms
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/27/16 12:49 PM

pico perch.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/27/16 02:42 PM

Black Lizards with white and yellow dots. I think its made by Mr. Twister.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/27/16 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: OzzieFish
Black Lizards with white and yellow dots. I think its made by Mr. Twister.

Yes .. and Creme Scoundrels in black with white poka dots, they still make them

http://www.landbigfish.com/Creme-Lures/Creme-Lures-Scoundrel-Worm.cfm
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/27/16 03:14 PM

My dad still busts out his Billy Bass lure and kicks my arse with it on occasions.

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/27/16 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
My dad still busts out his Billy Bass lure and kicks my arse with it on occasions.

flehan
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/28/16 08:37 AM

From a similar thread on May 30, 2016:

Arbogast Jitterbug, Musky Jitterbug, Mudbug, and Hula Popper; Pico's Pico Perch, Pico Pop; Bomber Pinfish, Model A, Waterdog, Bomber; Herb's Dilly; Bass Buster Scorpion and Tarantula; Mister Twister spinnerbaits, buzz baits, and plastics; Tom's Minners; Shannon Twin Spinner; Al Foss Shimmy Wiggler; Bass Pro Tornado spinnerbait; Heddon Zara Spook, Chugger, Wounded Spook, and Crazy Crawler; Rebel Super-R, Deep Wee-R; Bagley Balsa B; Original Floating Rapalas; Rex Spoon; Johnson Spoon; Creek Chub Jointed Pikie Minnow; Shakespeare's Mouse; and several others. I know some of these are valuable antiques, but as long as I continue to catch fish on them, I'll continue to sharpen the hooks and throw them.
Posted By: Pine Mills Tracker

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/28/16 02:34 PM

Another vote for 6 inch Mann's Jelly worm
Posted By: snaketrix

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/28/16 02:57 PM

Chrome devil horse
Black beetle spin
Red shad culprit

One of the 3 will always work

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/28/16 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
All the old school spinner baits. The Flick hit off is one of my favorites now.

Scorpion and Tarantula were great short-arm spinnerbaits. Used to KILL the bass on them in Falcon's Salinillas Cove. I still have a couple that I use successfully with purple rubber (not silicone) skirts.

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 12/30/16 12:43 AM

I was digging in a tackle box that I haven't touched in years and found 4 jars of dried up Uncle Josh pork frogs. I was disappointed to hear they no longer make these trailers.

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/05/17 02:29 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the Devil Horse was made by Smithwick, not Heddon. Whatever, it was and still is a great topwater lure.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/05/17 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Scoundrel

You can't have any of mine duel
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/05/17 02:41 PM

How about a Bill Norman Wounded Flash topwater or Manns Deep Piglet crankbait? Still have one of each.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/05/17 03:03 PM

Good old Blue Fleck Power Worm.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/06/17 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: TxDanFishMan
Originally Posted By: Scoundrel

You can't have any of mine duel

For all you know I already do (you really need to sleep with one eye open during your boat naps)
Posted By: superfrog

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/09/17 03:34 AM

Crazy crawlers. Used them exclusively in Northeast 25years ago. First bass in TX was a crazy crawler bass 5 & 1/2 lbs. Need to change out the hooks and put in the primary top water box.

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/09/17 03:50 AM

Fred Arborgast AC Plug. I never used one or had one, but heard about big bass that were caught on Lake Fork. Anybody with info?
Posted By: B Lee

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/10/17 04:49 PM

Sonic and creme purple/white tail worms
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/10/17 04:54 PM

I will never forget the day I got broke off using my dad's old Herbs Dilly. I used to keep it hanging in my garage with some other older lures but every once in a while I would take it out because it just seemed to catch so many fish. Pulled it next to a stump on Fork one day and that was it. Broken 15lb Big Game line which I am sure I hadn't really taken the time to make sure of a good knot and retied. Or it was just another of those good old bass that many times put me in my place and made me feel like a little school girl. Sure hated losing that old bait because it made me think of dad when I would look over at it.
Posted By: Poboy K.

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/10/17 04:59 PM

I'll never forget a bass I caught on a Tarantula. Over six pounds. Put it on a chain stringer on the the side of a Lone Star V-bottom. She somehow managed to open that stringer hook and escape.

I've never used a chain stringer since.
Posted By: Poboy K.

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/10/17 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: TBassYates
I will never forget the day I got broke off using my dad's old Herbs Dilly. I used to keep it hanging in my garage with some other older lures but every once in a while I would take it out because it just seemed to catch so many fish. Pulled it next to a stump on Fork one day and that was it. Broken 15lb Big Game line which I am sure I hadn't really taken the time to make sure of a good knot and retied. Or it was just another of those good old bass that many times put me in my place and made me feel like a little school girl. Sure hated losing that old bait because it made me think of dad when I would look over at it.

Last trip to Fork:

I was catching some good 3-6 lbs. bass. I had one hit my jig when it barely sunk a foot.

This is where EVERYTHING went wrong! First, there was no cushion as I only had about 5' of line. As I rared back to set the hook, this fish decided to take off. The combination of those forces snapped my rod at the handle.

There's a reason big fish get big!
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/10/17 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: "Old School"
Fred Arborgast AC Plug. I never used one or had one, but heard about big bass that were caught on Lake Fork. Anybody with info?

There were some BIG bass caught on them back in the 90's. My fishing buddy and I decided to make some of them. We caught some good fish (6-8 pounds) on our home made lures. I still have maybe 6 of them.
Posted By: str1249

Re: Older lures that kick butt!!! Which ones do you on a regular basis??? - 01/10/17 09:18 PM

Heddon Lucky 13. Can be fished topwater or cranked fast and get an erratic retrieve.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum