Texas Fishing Forum

Question on side imaging

Posted By: pdawg

Question on side imaging - 12/03/16 12:54 AM

Today I was told that you have to be moving a certain speed for the helix 5 or 7 side imaging to work. I was wanting to purchase one and mount on trolling motor but now I'm rethinking this after today and just mounting one on top of dash and just using my 520 on the front. Reckon this is a 2 fold question or a question with a suggestion thought. popcorn
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/03/16 01:11 AM

They say 3-5mph for clearest picture. It will still work if your moving slower just may not be as clear.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/03/16 01:25 AM

You'll get different information from different people. The side imaging isn't like the 2d cone. It is shot out in a thin beam instead of a cone. You'd want to usually put the speed of the screen down to 1 on the setting. You will get pictures at trolling speeds. Also, when you turn your trolling motor left or right, that beam is swinging around just as if you were moving forward and will give you a picture of what is in that arc. Granted, it will be a little distorted because of the turn instead of a straight line.

What you need to think about is the screen size. The larger the screen, the easier it is to see small details such as fish. Think of what distance you will be standing from the fish finder and what your eyesight is like
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/03/16 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: goodman1389
They say 3-5mph for clearest picture. It will still work if your moving slower just may not be as clear.
This^^^^^i don't run side on the front but do down scan

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/03/16 03:12 AM

Thank Yall for all the input
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/03/16 03:48 AM

How slow do you want to go? Not a helix, but the helix will do even better.

Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/03/16 12:15 PM

Humminbird Side Imaging units are adjustable to somewhat match the boat speed. It does very well from near zero to about 12 mph. Actually is very usable at zero by turning the trolling motor to scan somewhat like the 360 does-takes practice.

This is sort of slow and a usable image:

You can see in the DI view that the shad school changed direction when I tapped the trolling motor switch.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/03/16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.
Humminbird Side Imaging units are adjustable to somewhat match the boat speed. It does very well from near zero to about 12 mph. Actually is very usable at zero by turning the trolling motor to scan somewhat like the 360 does-takes practice.

This is sort of slow and a usable image:

You can see in the DI view that the shad school changed direction when I tapped the trolling motor switch.

Wow, visual proof trolling motors will disturb baitfish. Always wondered how much effect it had on bass. I've been flipping flooded willows in 3-6 FOW with pretty good success and it didn't seem to bother them, but on the second pass 0. Maybe the trolling motor is the culprit.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/03/16 03:23 PM

Think of it this way: Sonar is a repetition of "Pings" in the water column. If your stopped it simple shows a repeat of the same thing----"It does not stop". It takes practice and a lot of playing with the unit to get the best images.

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/03/16 05:46 PM

Wow very good information. I bought the boat and it had a bow mounted hummingbird ( didn't work) so I went and looked at the new ones and liked the side imaging , since this is where I usually fish is out the side not below me. So I thought I would put one up front and then was told no put it where you drive for you have to be moving to get a good pic. First off this is an 18 foot stratos FS 289 and not a lot of room on dash or above dash for a 10.5 inch screen and then still have the issue of no front mounted screen. So this leaves me wondering what is the best scenario for the situation. I'm not really wanting to break the bank on electronics all at once here but Cabelas has the Helix 7 si with gps and navionics on sale today so leaning toward that and just having the 570 fixed for the front. popcorn Once again TY for all yalls input.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/03/16 11:11 PM

If I were to choose just one FF, it'd go at the console. Yes, I fish at the front (well, not always with the terrova) but I find my locations from the console. Either way, you'll end up with another one down the road.

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/04/16 12:48 AM

Well broke down and got the helix 7 . Now new dilemma, got to learn navionics lol bad dilemma but I'll muddle through it. WATCH OUT BIG OLE BOY I'M COMING FOR YA. banana
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/04/16 03:15 PM

Congrats on the new Helix. I have been really happy with my Helix 10s, nothing to learning that card, which card did the bundle come with?
Can always check out the Navionics youtube channel for tips and tricks, there is some really good videos on there starting from when you take the card from the wrapper.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Navionics

Re: Question on side imaging - 12/04/16 03:23 PM

Not sure yet on which card it has. But the unit came with the card and a 1 year free update, states it has a 150 dollar bonus card and 1 year free update. So in short seems you save 300 on the unit. Thank You Corey and as soon as I see I will pm ya. Now weather needs to get right where I can install it frkazoid
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum