Texas Fishing Forum

Rainy Fayette

Posted By: Wes H

Rainy Fayette - 11/30/16 11:47 PM

Going to be fishing fayette this weekend and it looks like the wind will change to out of the north 9-13mph, Temps dropping 10 degrees, and a constant 100% chance of rain.

I was wondering what you guys normally experience with a large change in conditions like this? I feel like the rising water and nutrients washing into the lake should get the shad moving up a little shallow to feed on the new buffet and hopefully the bass to follow.

With the rain and possibly mud I'm thinking going loud with buzzbaits, spinnerbait, and traps.

Any advise?
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Rainy Fayette - 12/01/16 12:02 AM

Traps. They will be feeding.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Rainy Fayette - 12/01/16 02:21 PM

Go Orange. Everything orange color.
- Single Blade Halloween Spinner Bait with: Orange blade - Orange/Brown/Black Skirt with orange trailer.
- Orange Traps
- Orange Crayfish Crank Baits

Fish the sharpest bends in the creeks near the backs of the coves. Work the flats on the inside of those bends. You are looking for those with the heaviest cover they can offer with grass/hardwoods/lay downs/weed lines/Salt cedars/Willows and etc.. Huge Bass will group up on these bends and will be very aggressive to the orange colors. You want find them on every good looking spot; so keep running and gunning until you do. Spend no more than 15 mins. on each of these spots as you are using fast moving search baits. When you find them tie up and fan fish the area very slowly hitting every piece of cover two or three times.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Rainy Fayette - 12/01/16 02:48 PM

Fayette could be VERY tough under those conditions. The good news is that a tough Fayette is better than a decent day on a lot of lakes.

I'd focus offshore, they are less likely to be impacted by mud and surface temperature drops.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Rainy Fayette - 12/01/16 06:00 PM

Fayette gets a little rough in high winds out of the due south or north and makes the off shore fishing pretty tough to near impossible. Depending on how much rain it gets it will also muddy up pretty quick in some places. The start of a cold front shouldn't turn them off too quickly but there is still that chance. Don't rule out a jig or a squarebill in the timber or off rock.
Posted By: Wes H

Re: Rainy Fayette - 12/01/16 06:28 PM

Thank you for the ideas.

I have not heard about the orange before, when/why do you normally go with the orange color?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Rainy Fayette - 12/01/16 06:41 PM

Actually my experiences have been less negitive fishing cold fronts on powerplant lakes. Some of my most memorable trips have been on Welsh or Monticello in the freezing rain. The wind? Can't help you there. :-) Go fishing!
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Rainy Fayette - 12/01/16 11:02 PM

Great time on Fayette to drag a jig in 20+ foot on underwater points, roadbeds, humps and along the dam. Bring an anchor if that wind is too bad.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Rainy Fayette - 12/01/16 11:49 PM

Orange. When they are feeding on Bream and or crawfish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum