Texas Fishing Forum

Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one?

Posted By: Jaguar6

Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/23/16 06:47 AM

I know there has been a lot of posts on Texoma lately, but my dad and I are thinking about going up there Saturday. Not a far drive so thats not a problem but trying to decide between there or Athens. Which do yall think will produce best after this front?
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/23/16 06:53 AM

Jerkbaits and lake texoma! And a rigs for good measure! I'm
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/23/16 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
Jerkbaits and lake texoma! And a rigs for good measure! I'm

Some jerkbait action around the rocks sounds fun, those smallies put up a good fight
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/23/16 01:56 PM

I'd go Texoma based on the Athens reports.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/23/16 03:00 PM

I'm thinking Palestine or Monticello instead of Athens ....... fished Athens yesterday and it was tough,,,,,,, even pre-front & pre-rain.
Posted By: Big1Bass

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/23/16 03:35 PM

check the wind forecast first.. Little wind Texoma lots of wind Athens..
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/23/16 10:11 PM

plenty of places to get out of the wind on texoma, I would throw a squarebill or medium diver more than a jerkbait though. water temps 60-62 right now and they are up feeding on shad in 2-6ft.

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/24/16 12:39 AM

Doesnt look like wind will be a problem over the weekend right now. I think Texoma will be where we go. Is the boat ramp next to the dam open? I know it's steep but last time I used it I liked it. Or would Lighthouse or Eisenhower marina be better?
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/24/16 01:00 AM

Dam ramp should be open, but Im not sure if they have finished the rd construction from the road washing out yet. someone else might be able to help you out on that part. If the rd is still closed you can always go to eisenhower
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/24/16 02:22 PM

I fished Athens Monday and Tuesday, caught a few, but was tough fishing. I'm thinking about Texoma myself this weekend, never caught a smallie, would be nice!
Posted By: triton37

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/24/16 04:17 PM

Roads are fine ramp is good to go. Have fun
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/24/16 04:58 PM

Fished Athens this morning.
Very tough fishing
6 total..... 4 dinks and 2 that were maybe 2.5#
Fork or Monticello tomorrow

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/24/16 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
I fished Athens Monday and Tuesday, caught a few, but was tough fishing. I'm thinking about Texoma myself this weekend, never caught a smallie, would be nice!
If you see a blue and white Basscat with Mercury 250 down around Eisenhower trying to catch a smallie stop by and say hi!

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/24/16 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: triton37
Roads are fine ramp is good to go. Have fun
Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated!
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/25/16 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaguar6
Originally Posted By: lipjerk
If you see a blue and white Basscat with Mercury 250 down around Eisenhower trying to catch a smallie stop by and say hi!

Will do, I couldn't find much info online but, does anyone know if Eisenhower ramp access is 24/7 or does it open at a certain time?
Posted By: mcb

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/25/16 11:47 PM

The ramp is 24/7 pay box as you enter the park.
Posted By: irbf

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/25/16 11:51 PM

Caught several smallies inside Eisenhower earlier this week
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/26/16 10:39 PM

It was very foggy for a long time this morning on Texoma. Wife caught 1 under smallie. That was it. If you don't count my nice size crappie and a carp that thankfully pulled loose. Thing came up and looked like 20 pounds easy. Few others I talked to had about the same luck.
Posted By: Rlrob

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/26/16 11:30 PM

I went this morning also. Almost witnessed my first head on collision between two boats due to the fog and poor driving choice! Caught about 12 LMB and SMB, biggest being a SMB almost 4 lbs. also caught a bunch of small stripers, white bass and a crappie. The LMB were all pale in color, like they are in winter mode. All fish came from 15-25' using spoon. I did catch one nice SMB and missed one on a jerk bait.

Re: Thinkin about Texoma or Athens Saturday. Which one? - 11/27/16 12:50 AM

It was tough but we caught 9 total. 4 smallmouth and 5 largemouth. Biggest was a largemouth that was pushing 4-4 1/2. All fish caught on jig and squarebill! Rlrob I saw that same almost accident. If not then there were two different ones. One guy was all out and I barely could see the outline of his boat and saw another cut away real fast from him.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum