Texas Fishing Forum

Question About keeping plastics looking good??

Posted By: Crankenstein7

Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/21/16 07:03 PM

I've got about 20 or so of the plastic boxes that I store my plastic baits in, The ones that I use more often are fine, but my problem is with the baits that I don't use very much, like my tube baits, grubs, and a few others like Z-hogs among others,,they have built up water in the box real bad, so I have taken them all out of their boxes and spread them out and let them dry, then I have cleaned all the boxes, my question is, does anyone know of any type of oil that I can put on these baits to keep them looking good,,??
The ones that had a lot of salt in them seem to be worse, I don't like my baits looking dry, I like them to have a oil look .. Thanks for any suggestions..
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/21/16 07:50 PM

Just keep the plastics in the original bag and organize then with gallon Ziploc bags. Plastics come with oil in the bag.

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/21/16 08:16 PM

Believe it or not that's how I store a lot of my baits that I have,but don't have a lot of different colors.. And I agree that it's a good way..
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/22/16 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan_Flovin
Just keep the plastics in the original bag and organize then with gallon Ziploc bags. Plastics come with oil in the bag.

This is what I do and they will maintain their original color for years. Put alike baits in same bag.

The only thing I would change is I bought 100 bags off Amazon that were 2 gallon size and 4 mils thick. Very thick and sturdy bags for about 40 cents each.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/22/16 02:49 AM

this is a great question i have asked in the past - but never got an answer -- i guess the bait companies use unicorn spit cause i never got an answer as to what they use

i just been using scent spray on them
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/22/16 03:05 AM

Anise oil. Its with the vanilla, almond oil etc at the grocery store. Same oil plastics manufacturers used for years.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/22/16 03:13 AM

i keep them in the original bag they come in, organize them in a plastic tackle box up-side-down to make it easier to see the colors when opening the box. I don't like them bleeding on other colors, this will happen more rapidly in the summer months. If I want to fish a true pumpkin color, I don't want the residue of a watermelon red flake etc....on the bait. Hope this helps?
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/22/16 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: InTheClear
i keep them in the original bag they come in, organize them in a plastic tackle box up-side-down to make it easier to see the colors when opening the box. I don't like them bleeding on other colors, this will happen more rapidly in the summer months. If I want to fish a true pumpkin color, I don't want the residue of a watermelon red flake etc....on the bait. Hope this helps?

I like letting my baits bleed together sometimes. June bug+ Houdini is a good one. As far as organizing them.. ziplock bags is your best bet.

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/22/16 03:38 AM

Thanks for all the info, I'm going to try that oil Curtbass was talking about, I keep a lot of my plastics in 1gallon bags, and that's ok , but my Triton is set up to hold them plastic trays really nice, and I can find what I'm looking for a lot fast because I know where every box is located, if I need something that I have in bags it seems like I'm digging through a lot of bags just to find it, I'm a tackle junkie, I have so much stuff, I've been culling stuff out of my boat for 2 days now just trying to get it better organized,, I am a captain for 2 high school boys this year and when they need something they can make a real mess digging through my bags.. Lol .. But one of the boys is my son so I really enjoy it..
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/22/16 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Curtbass
Anise oil. Its with the vanilla, almond oil etc at the grocery store. Same oil plastics manufacturers used for years.

I have several worm bags pretty full and use oil too, never had a problem, I know I've had some for over 15 years.

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/22/16 04:08 AM

PS: it'll only take 1 drop in each bag to scent & keep them slick & oily. Ive used all kinds of scent sprays,dips etc thru the years & it always winds up back at anise oil. LOL. It's also used to flavor licorice.

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/22/16 04:15 AM

Thank you and I'm sure going to get me some..
Posted By: Cast

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/22/16 12:43 PM

If you don't have the original bags, you can find them on eBay. They are special double wall bags made to hold the scent in. Regular zip locks won't last.
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/23/16 03:40 PM

You may want to try out www.jbsfishsauce.com If you are just wanting oil in the bag without scent just get worm oil. This fish sauce has scent and worm oil to put in the bags like a marinate. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/23/16 05:08 PM

Cod liver oil
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/24/16 12:26 AM

I don't have many secrets but this is one of the best I have.

Use this stuff and your plastics will not dry out. It gets better with age. A little goes a long way.
http://www.bassbuckandduck.com/Craw-Cane-Attractant.html
I am a big believer in this stuff. Not easy to find.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/24/16 12:48 AM

Worm oil, pick your scent
http://www.pouryourownworms.com/Scented-Worm-Oil-and-Marinades-2-oz-Scented-Worm-Oil-2oz.htm
also keep your plastics stored in a cool dark place, sunlight along with wide temperature swings will deteriorate them, the ones with salt will degrade fastest.
Posted By: ShinerInTx

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/24/16 03:29 AM

FYI, cabelas has their utility binder replacement bags (aka soft plastics) on sale for $1.88 per 8 right now.

check their rock bottom deals in the bargain bin.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/24/16 03:57 AM

thanks for the tip curtbass ---went to krogers came in a little 1 oz bottle about 2 bucks
an ounce didnt seem like much but it goes a long way
it also seems to have alcohol in it but it did do a good job
came in a little bottle -- took the cap off and punched a little hole in the paper seal -dripped perfectly !

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/24/16 05:01 AM

Not alcohol. Anise is a strong scent. It also what they flavor licorice with.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/24/16 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtbass

+1 I have been using this oil for many years.

There are also a bunch of scents on the market that are made for soft plastics that can be used also. Academy has a pretty good selection of them.
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/25/16 03:00 AM

its called Mineral Oil, it can be found at your local drug store for cheap, I have been restoring plastics for over 30+ years with it, it is odorless and goes a long way, less that a cap full will oil a good size bag... majority of large plastics manufactures use it they just add scents to it like anise oil... try it you will see...
Posted By: nwest10

Re: Question About keeping plastics looking good?? - 11/25/16 11:56 PM

Mineral oil works great.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum