Texas Fishing Forum

Drop shot rod?

Posted By: bassfshin24

Drop shot rod? - 11/21/16 03:14 PM

I've read a couple of topics on this but wanted to post a more specific one. I am currently looking for a new drop shot rod. I am from Minnesota so I will not be using it in timber. Will mostly be using it in open water and for smallies. I always like to try something a little different for rod brands and I am currently looking at the 7'2 Phenix M1 Medium. Does anyone have any experience with Phenix rods? Also for those that drop shot vertically do you like a shorter rod. I really wanted a 6'9-6'10 but Phenix only has the 6'9 in light action and from what I've read, their light action is really light and a medium would be more like a medium Light.

I was also looking at a Castaways Skeleton V2. They do have that in a 6"10 dropshot rod but I have not seen much for reviews of those rods.

Any input from you dropshot experts would be great and any recommendation on rods as well would be great. Not looking to spend over $200 on the rod.
Posted By: Chanzilla

Re: Drop shot rod? - 11/21/16 06:02 PM

I can speak for Casaway's Skeleton V2, it is a damn good rod. However, I do not own the drop shot special, so I cannot speak for that rod. Only for the V2 series, and I am very pleased.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Drop shot rod? - 11/21/16 09:20 PM

Contact Ron Grantham at Reel Time Rods, he builds an excellent drop shot rod.

Reel Time Rods
Posted By: GRUMPS

Re: Drop shot rod? - 11/21/16 09:39 PM

x2 for Ron 2 Reel Time
Posted By: Andrew Winkle

Re: Drop shot rod? - 11/21/16 11:00 PM

I have owned a Skeleton V2 Drop Shot special for about a year now and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Have caught fish up to 8 lbs on it so far and it holds up great for a light action rod. Top half of blank flexes perfect before backbone holds up to allow you to just lean back into the fish and not have to jerk to set the hook. I find that a big plus when using 6-10 lb fluro leaders to braid main line when drop shotting. Reel Time makes a great one as well. Couldn't go wrong with either.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Drop shot rod? - 11/21/16 11:22 PM

Major Craft Don Iovino finesse special in spinning or baitcasting. This rod was made for Drop shot fishing by per Mr. Iovino's specs. I have the spinning version available at 99.99..or TW has it on their site. Thanks!
Posted By: gatoreyes

Re: Drop shot rod? - 11/22/16 02:50 AM

I have two drop shot rods: a Falcon CS-4-169M, 6'9" and an Impulse IMPS610M, 6'10". Both have about the same medium action. The Falcon costs around $200 and the Impulse around $235. Both are very good spinning rods for drop shotting. I use 20 lb braid with a 7 lb flouro leader. I'd be hard pressed to say which one I like better, but might give a slight nod to the Impulse.
Posted By: mwbmod74

Re: Drop shot rod? - 11/22/16 05:29 AM

Id take a serious look at a Kistler Helium 2 or the one above it, super lite, sensitive. I used a buddy's and had to have one...
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Drop shot rod? - 11/22/16 04:39 PM

Falcon CaraT 7 ft. Jeff Kriet Squirrel Tail Spinning Rod

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfalconsquirreltail.html
In this Tackle Tour review they put this $200 rod up against 2 GLoomis GLX rods that are twice the price and this rod was at least as comparable to them.

Its a 7 ft spinning rod and has the perfect tip to shake the [censored] out of a drop-shot or Shakey Head. It also has more backbone than most spinning rods to handle bigger fish. I have caught fish to around 7 lbs with no problems at all. I absolutely love it!!
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: Drop shot rod? - 11/22/16 07:56 PM

Thanks for the info guys! A lot of good options. Now I just have to make a decision
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum