Texas Fishing Forum

Good rod for flipping

Posted By: Kens3313

Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 02:49 AM

Im wanting suggestions for a good rod for flipping jigs. I have a abu vendetta heavy and I hate it. I feel like I'm trying to flip with a broom stick. Ive heard good things about dobyns rods but not sure on how the action is on them, Never do see them in stores. I have 3 falcon bucoo rods I use for tx rig and I like them.
Posted By: Fishwfly

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 03:02 AM

Cheaper- I love my Duckett Micro Magic pro 7ft heavy
More $$ the new 2016 Gloomis GLX 894 fpr Rod is sweet. Nice tip with power. Not a broom stick
Posted By: Fishwfly

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 03:03 AM

Americans legacy has a great sale on all Loomis rods going on now
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 03:14 AM

If you like the Falcon Bucoo, take a look at the Falcon Jason Christie Pitchin' Stik. I use this rod for flipping and it is a pleasure to fish with--light and strong.

I have several Vendetta MH, and they are stiffer than my Falcon Heavy rated rods.
With that in mind, don't disregard the XH rated rods from Falcon--they probably won't feel as stiff as that Vendetta Heavy rated rod.

Other Falcon Rods to look at

Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 03:15 AM

Man....my favorite flipping rod is my Cara T7 Amistad.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 04:31 AM

Daiwa Zillion 7.6H
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 05:10 AM

the dobyns have great action. They built their rods to fit a specific style of fishing. The jigging rod will have a great tip to feel bait and will not be a broom stick. The Jig rods will usually be in the 4-5 power range depending on what line size a strength of rod you want. I like the 745 and 744 in the Dobyns extreme rods.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Love this rod
Posted By: 361V

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 11:33 AM

Dobyns Champion 735 or Falcon Cara Amistad. Many choices cheaper, none better!
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 01:07 PM

Not a better flipping rod then a PowerTackle PG104 or 104.5 depending on the size of jig.
Posted By: Basser1OH

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 01:46 PM

My favorite is the G. Loomis E6X Casting Rod 7'6" Med Hvy 903C MBR for $199.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 02:00 PM

+1

However since you like your Falcon Bucoos I would try the Bucoo Amistad.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
Not a better flipping rod then a PowerTackle PG104 or 104.5 depending on the size of jig.

These are for sure dang good rods, but I have started using their new Pow-R Point Series

LPC1100 7’7” Dbl. XHvy/Fast, 20-40# flouro, 30-65# braid, 1-5 oz.

and

LPC970 7’7” Dbl XHvy/Mod.fast, 20-40#Flouro, 30-65# Braid
2-5oz.

These rods are so light and sensitive. You don't know what you have been missing till you put one in your hands.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 02:40 PM

Are you going to "fiip" or "pitch"? I have several rods that I use for jigs but I either cast or pitch. I hardly ever "flip". If I were going to "flip" a jig I would choose a 7-6 length rod or longer.
I currently use a Dobyns 745 Extreme, and a Power Tackle PG 104. I have a Powell Max 704, a Powell Endurance 714, a Powell Max3D 714, and a Dobyns Champion 705 and I have used all of these is the past for throwing jigs.

I like to use the 7ft rod when I am pitching jigs under docks and longer rods for pitching jigs to everything else.
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 03:45 PM

Dobyns DX 795 FLIP. One of my favorite rods in the dobyns lineup.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 03:59 PM

I am a big fan of the Megabass Orochi XX Flippin' Special. The same model in the Levante series is great too. Great for flipping and a ton of other uses too.
Posted By: RudyDep

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 04:16 PM

I would think that if you put your maximum price point, that would be a great help.
Posted By: Tjbev13

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 04:51 PM

Love my 7'3" H TFO for flipping/ C-rig
Posted By: Fishinkev

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 05:01 PM

If u are ever near fort worth, I'll buy that veritas from u
Posted By: Venom 17

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 06:10 PM

Manleys Rod Platinum Series Heavy action. By far the very best flipping rod I have ever owned!

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 06:27 PM

I said flipping but I meant pitching, I don't really want to go over $150. I'll have to check out the Falcon bucoo Amistad and the cara t7 Amistad, went to academy earlier and they don't have [censored] for rods now
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Barn

+1

However since you like your Falcon Bucoos I would try the Bucoo Amistad.

Agreed.

The Dobyn's 735's have great balance and are at least as sensitive as what Falcon can offer, but the Falcons feel lighter than the same-price option from Dobyn's.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Kens3313
I said flipping but I meant pitching, I don't really want to go over $150. I'll have to check out the Falcon bucoo Amistad and the cara t7 Amistad, went to academy earlier and they don't have [censored] for rods now

Dobyns has a couple options you will like. The Fury is 109.00 and they have a 735 series for flipping, the Sierra series is around 170.00 that replaced the Savoy series in a 735 rod also that will be a really good rod. People that have bough both like them for the price.
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 06:57 PM

Duckett micro magic 7'6" heavy
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 07:42 PM

Im wanting suggestions for a good rod for flipping jigs. I have a abu vendetta heavy and I hate it. I feel like I'm trying to flip with a broom stick. Ive heard good things about dobyns rods but not sure on how the action is on them, Never do see them in stores. I have 3 falcon bucoo rods I use for tx rig and I like them.

Not to bash anyone's rods but that Vendetta will explode into six pieces the first time you really load it up on a big fish up close with heavy line. The Falcon rods are pretty good. If you want a rod that you can flip with 65 braid into the gnarly stuff and pull out big fish over the next 20 years then hand the rod down to your son (or grandson) to do the same with, buy a G. Loomis IMX Series rod. It is light and has the right tip for accurate placement of your bait.

And to answer any questions about whether or not I am sponsored by them, the answer is no. I am still using two IMX rods that I have owned for 25 YEARS. Unless you slam the car door on one, you cannot break them.

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 07:43 PM

I said flipping but I meant pitching, I don't really want to go over $150.

Disregard what I posted a minute ago. You get what you pay for.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 08:45 PM

Wow Ken, as long as you have been around the tackle industry and you are NOT sponsored by Loomis??? I am surprised.

Actually I would have thought that by now you would have your own line of rods on the market.

"Add fish to your boat with an Addington rod" LOL

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Lol well how much are them bad boys? I might have to write a Christmas list out to santa

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Wow Ken, as long as you have been around the tackle industry and you are NOT sponsored by Loomis??? I am surprised.

Actually I would have thought that by now you would have your own line of rods on the market.

"Add fish to your boat with an Addington rod" LOL

I like the steady paycheck too much to get into the fishing tackle industry. Been there & Done that!! bang

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Lol well how much are them bad boys? I might have to write a Christmas list out to santa

$300 bucks

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/18/16 10:15 PM

*There are a bunch of nice rods on the market nowadays. The Loomis GL3 and the E6X are okay rods but they are not exceptional like the IMX rods have proven to be over the last two decades. If you want a $150 rod buy a Falcon or a Duckett or a Lews. All or good rods. But like I said, if you want an AWESOME rod that you can use hard for 20 years then hand it down to someone else, buy the IMX Loomis.

*This is just my opinion and it is not meant to offend anyone. wink
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/19/16 12:17 AM

Academy has Ducketts right now for $99.00, great rod, I bought another one. I love my both my Duckett reel and rods.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/19/16 02:40 AM

Dobyns 764 is my go to jig rod!! Put if you are flipping them in heavier cover I really like the 765 Flip.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/19/16 04:23 AM

I use the Dobyns 795 Flip DX xp.For casting jigs I prefer the 748 DX ML. I to have some Loomis IMX rods and bang for the buck they are hard to beat.

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/19/16 01:52 PM

Thanks fellers for all the help.
Posted By: progolferv1

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/19/16 04:40 PM

agreed
Posted By: J.M.S

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/19/16 11:23 PM

I see you live around Conroe. It might be worth the drive over to Onalaska to check out tackle addict. They have some of the rods you are looking for and a ton others you might be interested in. Plus, Falcon Bucco's are 30% off right now.
Posted By: shiv

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/20/16 12:12 AM

St. Croix Mojo. Great flipping rod, competitively priced.
Posted By: Ryan Somerville

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/20/16 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon
Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead

These are for sure dang good rods, but I have started using their new Pow-R Point Series

LPC1100 7’7” Dbl. XHvy/Fast, 20-40# flouro, 30-65# braid, 1-5 oz.

and

LPC970 7’7” Dbl XHvy/Mod.fast, 20-40#Flouro, 30-65# Braid
2-5oz.

These rods are so light and sensitive. You don't know what you have been missing till you put one in your hands.

Any of these four rods are excellent flippings rods and the PG104.5 is my favorite.

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/20/16 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: J.M.S
I see you live around Conroe. It might be worth the drive over to Onalaska to check out tackle addict. They have some of the rods you are looking for and a ton others you might be interested in. Plus, Falcon Bucco's are 30% off right now.
didn't even thank about that, thanks bud
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/20/16 02:38 AM

I like the powertackle 104.5! Don't have any fear of either the guides or the rod breaking on the hookset! Can fish with confidence!
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/20/16 06:56 PM

Dobyns Champion 766 Flip over the Amistad T7.

I have both rods and it isn't close as to which one is better for flipping jigs or heavier cover.

The T7 is a great T rig rod, which is what I use it for.
Posted By: aneil

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/20/16 10:15 PM

I have had my power tackle pg104 and pg104.5 since 2009 and they are still going strong. Those are my go to rods for flipping.

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/21/16 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: RedEar12
Dobyns Champion 766 Flip over the Amistad T7.

I have both rods and it isn't close as to which one is better for flipping jigs or heavier cover.

The T7 is a great T rig rod, which is what I use it for.

I don't totally disagree with you.

The BEST flipping rod I own, as Carlos referred to, is a Diawa 7'6" heavy. It's not a normal Zillion 7'6". It has extra guides over the run of the mill Zillions. But, I was trying to be reasonable about the cost of a rod I'd recommend. The Amistad @ $250+\- is a great rod. The Zillion is a little bit more expensive and not everyone's idea of a good value. Haha. But, lights out better.

Re: Good rod for flipping - 11/21/16 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
I am a big fan of the Megabass Orochi XX Flippin' Special. The same model in the Levante series is great too. Great for flipping and a ton of other uses too.

I am a fan of the Megabass rods too....especially after you replace the guides with some that can handle heavy fish without breaking off.

I will let ya know if it works out with some new Fuji minima guides on Concept spacing. Might help with the Megabass' tip heavy feel.

peep
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum