Texas Fishing Forum

Possum Kingdom

Posted By: Bassfisher_2

Possum Kingdom - 11/16/16 04:45 AM

I'm 16 years old and I'm fishing in my first tournament and won't be able to pre fish. Does anyone have any tips on lures, locations, depths and anything else would be helpful.
Posted By: lodell23

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/16/16 04:50 AM

My advice would be to read the rules
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/16/16 01:02 PM

Read, "PKweekend trip" by Fla native. It's about three pages back.
We were there last weekend fishing together and caught a lot of fish
Posted By: Boat flip

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/16/16 02:23 PM

Dead stick flukes and senkos for suspended fish on bridges.
Posted By: KHumpert

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/16/16 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Boat flip

Bridges? hmmm They must be in the same spot as that PK hydrilla I always hear about too.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/16/16 03:04 PM

I'm going out to PK tomorrow just to look for all those bridges I've been missing all these years! hmmm
Posted By: Hoghunter36

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/16/16 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: lodell23
My advice would be to read the rules

Definitely!! First thing you need to learn is to always read the rules.
Posted By: B Lee

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/16/16 03:45 PM

Yep bridges everywhere
Originally Posted By: 361V
I'm going out to PK tomorrow just to look for all those bridges I've been missing all these years! hmmm
Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/16/16 08:45 PM

I caught a bunch of small ones this morning on mojo rig fluke and a couple quality fish on a yellow magic by scenic point
Posted By: That Bass Team Mom

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/16/16 09:49 PM

Congratulations on fishing your first tournament!
Possum Kingdom will be an exciting lake for your first time out.
These are some things we advise our team to do in preparation for tournaments:

Not sure which school you are at, but in case your campus advisor was not able to get a copy of the rules in your hands, so please find them here http://www.texashighschoolbassassn.com/ under the blue bar that says "2016-2017 THSBA Tournament Rules." You can tell by the boys response above that not everyone reads the Tournament rules, and apparently they have been burned.

On that same page you will want to click the red West Division Page and review the Possum Kingdom Information for rules specific to this tournament.

As for fishing tips, you can find lots of Possum Kingdom videos on YouTube that will give you an idea of the structure and cover you will find on the lake. Honey Hole has one from just a few weeks ago. You can also do a search for early fall fishing in North Texas for more tips.

Mike Iaconelli's facebook page has had some good information on it recently. He has some good videos at bassu.tv too.

You can look at Google Maps to see what may be decent locations. Keep in mind that the lake has a lot more water in it than it did in those images. You can scope out all those bridges that have been referenced. I would recommend that you pick up a map of PK if you can find one. You can also order all the Texas lakes online. We got all of them from http://lureoftheoutdoors.com/texaslakemaps.aspx These are good to have, especially if you don't have a GPS or it goes out on you.

Be sure to check the weekly fishing report on the Texas Parks and Wildlife page, and also pay attention to the weather. It is going to be COLD Saturday morning.

Also, if your boat captain is an experienced angler, ask him/her for recommendations for bait and line.

PK may be a tough lake with such a weather change coming between now and Saturday. Don't be hard on yourself if you don't weigh anything in. With a 16-inch minimum, there will be a lot of teams that don't. Even if you don't catch anything, TURN IN YOUR FLIGHT CARD. It is still possible to make regional tournament cut, but you will NOT if you don't turn in your cards at weigh-in.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/16/16 11:37 PM

I left Hidawy Cabins saturday and headed north around the lake to Graham, Possum Hollow to eat ,then around to Hwy 16, crossed the river bridge and back to Hidaway three hrs later. Never saw a bridge on the lake and never have.
However, there is a lot of matted grass in clumps out to about six, seven ft deep. It looks like wads of monofilament line with green branches off of the tops. Don't know what it is but in three days, we caught around 75-100 bass in it. Some good ones too. Don't overlook it, its everywhere.
Good luck

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/17/16 12:10 AM

Thank s for all the help, I really appreciate it.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/17/16 12:35 AM

Boat captains, coaches, parents, advisors and participating student anglers may not solicit, receive, purchase, or barter for information about locating or catching fish on tournament waters, including GPS way points 14 days prior to any THSBA tournament. In addition, during the 14 day “no information span” no competitors will be permitted to practice or gain assistance from anyone for the purpose of locating or catching fish, except a teammate, coach, advisor, family member or other person entered into the same event. Boat captains, coaches, parents, advisors and participating student anglers are prohibited in hiring guides 30 days prior to ANY event. Violation of these rules may result in disqualification. This rule will be presented as a question on polygraph. The hiring of a guide as a boat captain is also not permitted, unless they have not guided in the past 30 days.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/17/16 03:02 AM

I don't think this kid wants to READ the rules about " no information ban 14 days before the tournament. I hope he heeds the warnings.....

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/17/16 03:03 AM

Alright didn't know that was one of the rules.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/17/16 12:38 PM

Just please read all the rules, the ones about Safety are very important. We hear reports of kids riding in the front and back deck pedestal seats while the big engine is running. There are many safety items in place to keep all the kids safe and return to the parents at the end of the day.

I tried to message you and keep it private, but you haven't read them.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/17/16 03:02 PM

Fish the creek behind The Cliffs Marina. Put in a the Harbor and go across the lake. I live on the other end of the lake, but when I NEED to catch fish I head to that end of the lake... The reeds at Costello are also pretty good on jigs.

Bridges? The only bridge is the bridge at loop 533 on Rock Creek.
Posted By: CubbyObrien

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/17/16 07:27 PM

theres no fish in PK! dont believe any of the hype fish
Posted By: perrypogue

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/17/16 07:50 PM

What is the public boat ramp that allows you to launch the farthest south on PK?
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/17/16 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: perrypogue
What is the public boat ramp that allows you to launch the farthest south on PK?
There is a public ramp just north of Villa Marina. The ramp is on the west side of the VM area.
Posted By: perrypogue

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/17/16 09:02 PM

Thanks Joe.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/17/16 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: perrypogue

Scenic point
Posted By: BackSeatBuddy

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/18/16 12:48 PM

You didnt know this was a rule,
Cause you didn't read them
Posted By: stetson

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/18/16 04:22 PM

This past week back of hells gate was on fire for 2-3lbers weigless flukes an swim
Jig
Posted By: 361V

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/18/16 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: BackSeatBuddy
You didnt know this was a rule,
Cause you didn't read them
Well that's a deep revelation! Enough. I want to see pics of those bridges.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Possum Kingdom - 11/18/16 11:21 PM

There was some decent hydrilla on the west bridge two weeks ago.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum