Texas Fishing Forum

Backing for Braid

Posted By: West Texas FX

Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 04:36 PM

When putting braid on a baitcast reel do you guys use mono or tape as backing?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 04:44 PM

Tape.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 04:46 PM

Mono but ^^^Tape sounds easier.
Posted By: Viper Rods

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 04:48 PM

I use mono
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 05:06 PM

I use braid to back braid hammer
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 05:47 PM

mono with tape over the knot. Line is lighter than tape and the single price of tape will keep your line from getting snagged on the knot midcast.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano™
mono with tape over the knot. Line is lighter than tape and the single price of tape will keep your line from getting snagged on the knot midcast.

Exactly what I do
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 06:03 PM

What does weight of line versus tape have to do with backing?

Most people use mono for backing with braid. Reels are designed to be fully spooled (or almost) for best performance. Because braid is smaller diameter and much more expensive than mono, it takes a lot more line and $ to fill a reel to capacity with braid. In this regard, I understand why folks use it as backing for braid. Plus, if tied properly, mono will not slip on your spool and braid will.

I think that most folks who fish braid use it for specialized applications like pitching in heavy cover, etc. Full spools aren't needed in these presentations.

Myself, when fishing for BIG fish, I want my spool full of braid to allow for multiple reties during the day. This is why I only use tape for my backing. Keeps the line from slipping on the spool. All the other talk about "cushioning" is just that.

Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 06:17 PM

because the line is lighter than the tape thus making the tape much smoother and sort of lubricates the line so the knot stays consistent with the braid while casting.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 06:17 PM

Mostly a preference thing, not to mention more economical to have mono 1/4-1/2 spooled, then braid on top.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 06:20 PM

it's best to splice braid to mono to braid to mono to braid to mono over and over again in 12" sections until the spool is full. This way you have a choice between using mono or braid, but always of course start out with mono as your backing ....... and a piece of tape at each knot. Oh and a Tatula is best for this application .... no micro guides!
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 08:32 PM

tape
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 08:39 PM

I don't use a backing. When the braid seems to be getting worn, I unspool it, and re-spool it from the unused end.
Posted By: hornet527

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/15/16 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Cass Caldwell
I don't use a backing. When the braid seems to be getting worn, I unspool it, and re-spool it from the unused end.

this
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/16/16 04:00 AM

Tape
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/16/16 04:07 AM

You guys using tape....I've never heard of this. Are you using electrical tape? And are you doing just enough wraps to cover the spool one revolution, or are you building it up to eliminate the amount of braid it takes to fill it?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/16/16 04:34 AM

I put a small piece under the knot to grip and then a small piece over the knot and it never slips. Works perfect.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Backing for Braid - 11/16/16 04:35 AM

I use masking tape
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum