Texas Fishing Forum

Does Ray Bob really "turn off"

Posted By: EZ_Legend

Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/09/16 10:44 PM

I have heard numerous guys say that Ray Bob shuts down mid to late November. I'd like to see what everyone's take is on the matter?
Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/09/16 10:56 PM

Hell I have been waiting for it to turn on for me smile
Posted By: Gibby

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/09/16 11:00 PM

I haven't heard that. The only thing I have heard before, with regard to Ray Roberts being different than other lakes, is that the spawn tends to start later than most other lakes in our area. Don't know if that's true, but I have heard that a few times.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/09/16 11:04 PM

Ray Bob traditionally is a very tough lake in the winter. There are better choices

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/09/16 11:09 PM

LMAO!!

Originally Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/09/16 11:10 PM

I have heard this too, I have even been given grief for going in late March.

Originally Posted By: Gibby
I haven't heard that. The only thing I have heard before, with regard to Ray Roberts being different than other lakes, is that the spawn tends to start later than most other lakes in our area. Don't know if that's true, but I have heard that a few times.

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/09/16 11:11 PM

I just love to hate this lake.

Originally Posted By: K.D.
Ray Bob traditionally is a very tough lake in the winter. There are better choices
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/09/16 11:30 PM

I've only been fishing there for a few years and mostly from the bank so take this for what it's worth. I have trouble at RR in the winter and it happens every year. One of the lake maps I have has over 100 fishing spots listed on it and only 1 is listed as good for bass in January. Very few are listed as good for Nov, Dec, and Feb. But the fish can't pack up and leave so they are there. I caught my PB bass at Ray Roberts on a warm day in December so go figure.

Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/09/16 11:33 PM

my biggest one out there for the year was a little over 9lbs caught in january 30 degree air temp best 5 that day was about 24-25lbs.

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/09/16 11:46 PM

Good point, maybe they don't leave but get their fill. Have to force feed them! Lol!

Originally Posted By: PlanoTom
I've only been fishing there for a few years and mostly from the bank so take this for what it's worth. I have trouble at RR in the winter and it happens every year. One of the lake maps I have has over 100 fishing spots listed on it and only 1 is listed as good for bass in January. Very few are listed as good for Nov, Dec, and Feb. But the fish can't pack up and leave so they are there. I caught my PB bass at Ray Roberts on a warm day in December so go figure.

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/09/16 11:48 PM

Care to share water depth and choice of lure? I'd think they would be suspended near creek shelfs... maybe 18-20 ft.?

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
my biggest one out there for the year was a little over 9lbs caught in january 30 degree air temp best 5 that day was about 24-25lbs.
Posted By: Deerhunter8

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 01:11 AM

I have only fished Ray Roberts this year and last but coming from Ohio it reminds me of the lakes up there,and I have done very well on this lake all year and cant wait till the dead of winter here to fish it.
I will be pounding the lake with Jigs and deep crank baits this winter.
Up north I had my boat on the lakes till they would not break the ice anymore and since I have been down here for 2 years it doesn't even get cold so you will see my Skeeter on the lake when everyone is tucked in the homes saying its cold out :P

Down size and slow it down!!

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 02:04 AM

Ice on a lake?? I've never heard of such madness!?! Yeah it definitely doesn't get that cold down here. I've had my boat for almost a year and before this I was fishing out of my yak. It is not too much fun in a yak when it is chilly out so I will most likely be out there in the boat now. See you out there!

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter8
I have only fished Ray Roberts this year and last but coming from Ohio it reminds me of the lakes up there,and I have done very well on this lake all year and cant wait till the dead of winter here to fish it.
I will be pounding the lake with Jigs and deep crank baits this winter.
Up north I had my boat on the lakes till they would not break the ice anymore and since I have been down here for 2 years it doesn't even get cold so you will see my Skeeter on the lake when everyone is tucked in the homes saying its cold out :P

Down size and slow it down!!
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: McKinneyMike

Lol same here
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 03:20 AM

Ray Roberts is a fickle girl. If you can spend the time you will be able to follow there movement. They suspend in the tree tops most of the summer and Winter. Following the winds and bait will keep you close to them. In the winter you can fish all day and never get a bite. But use the information you figured out the day before and you will start to find them. Making them bite is another story. I have seen them sitting in the tree tops with crappie in the winter or sitting next to the sand bass. But getting them to bite is another story.

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: jackson_ranger
Care to share water depth and choice of lure? I'd think they would be suspended near creek shelfs... maybe 18-20 ft.?

14-18ft creekbends on a crig

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 04:10 AM

Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 04:35 AM

Nice fish. Should have turn the boat a little more. I see your on my spot.

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 05:28 AM

Dang, now everyone will find the windmill

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 10:53 AM

Dang, now everyone will find the windmill

HAHAHA!!!
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 11:55 AM

The wind mill blades act as a sponge for heat from the sun . I have seen them with 10 fish per blade in the middle of the winter . Some of the fish I would catch were half cooked they were so warm .

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad Hardt
The wind mill blades act as a sponge for heat from the sun . I have seen them with 10 fish per blade in the middle of the winter
. Some of the fish I would catch were half cooked they were so warm .

OK Brad. 10 per blade? We didn't just fall off the old potato truck. 3-4 OK. 10...... that is really stretching the bounds.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 01:50 PM

FYI Media Feb 15 1997 i took first place 5 bass 23.30 & big bass 8.31 #
Staging bass lip of creek 8ft creek 23ft, all on Mann's 20+.
Time on the water 2cents
Posted By: steve Mbass

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 02:04 PM

Been fishing RR for many years and it does seem I do catch the bigger fish in Jan and Feb but not the numbers. I don't ever remember much in December but I am sure there has been a few.
Posted By: steve Mbass

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 02:08 PM

This one I got in Feb in 2015. water was 42 degrees

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 03:02 PM

Damn nice fish Brad and Steve!

This post got really entertaining!
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 06:03 PM

Not too many lakes that are numbers lakes in the winter, but you do catch bigger fish in the winter. Now NOV is cutting it close to "Winter", Even "December is suspect to me.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 06:10 PM

I've always had a tougher time on Ray Bob in the "winter". But, based on some of these posts, I must be in the minority. Like someone posted previously, there are better choices in the winter.
Posted By: Delvec

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 10:55 PM

I have never caught a bass on Ray Bob after Dec.1st till June 16th, I would go some where else. 2cents

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Delvec
I have never caught a bass on Ray Bob after Dec.1st till June 16th, I would go some where else. 2cents

I still owe you a trip for taking me out, let me know when your available.

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/10/16 11:13 PM

Rigggght.....

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/11/16 12:01 AM

I haven't been, but 5 times since June 1st. Been in school, but I'm done for now so could be open. You still on the same shift?

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/11/16 01:08 AM

I haven't been, but 5 times since June 1st. Been in school, but I'm done for now so could be open. You still on the same shift?

no sir on second now 3-1130, but I can fish most mornings
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/11/16 09:02 AM

School? You changing careers?

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/11/16 09:59 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

School? You changing careers?

Yep
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/11/16 11:37 AM

Best of luck Delvec, Hope to see you around thumb

Re: Does Ray Bob really "turn off" - 11/11/16 09:13 PM

Thks Jack
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum