Texas Fishing Forum

Best Glue to use for rod tip

Posted By: Fishin Machine

Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 02:30 AM

What is the best glue to use on a rod tip?

Thanks
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 02:36 AM

I've used BSi Cyanoacrylate with Zip Kicker with great results.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 02:40 AM

Roll a small piece of hot glue and stick it in the tip top guide. Slide it on the rod and heat it up a bit then fully seat the guide aligned with the rest. Then epoxy the outside using a 2 part clear epoxy.

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I've used BSi Cyanoacrylate with Zip Kicker with great results.

Where do you get this thing that I cannot pronounce smile ?

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 04:29 AM

Bob Smith Industries. Haha. "CA" glue.

Basically this is an industrial strength "super glue". It sets very slowly until you add the second part in a spray. It sets instantly then. I use the stuff daily at work for building custom car stuff and it is extremely strong. And user friendly. There is a few art supply houses that sell it in Dallas, as well as hobby stores and A&W distributors. It's around $10 for a 2oz bottle. This stuff has a 300+pound per square inch holding strength. Is available in around 15 or so viscosities. It is also available in odor control versions. It is an eye and nasal irritant. But, the mucous membranes instantly neutralize the vapors and make them harmless.

Best bet to find it for a consumer level purchase would be a hobby store that sells high end RC planes and cars.
Posted By: CB Aggie

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 05:18 AM

Just lurking and I saw what Steez said about them being neutralized in the membranes and didn't believe it one bit. Like how often is that true? Just about never. But in this case it was true. I'll be damned. I didn't buy the story til i looked it up. Proved me wrong.

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 12:52 PM

Bob Smith Industries. Haha. "CA" glue.

Basically this is an industrial strength "super glue". It sets very slowly until you add the second part in a spray. It sets instantly then. I use the stuff daily at work for building custom car stuff and it is extremely strong. And user friendly. There is a few art supply houses that sell it in Dallas, as well as hobby stores and A&W distributors. It's around $10 for a 2oz bottle. This stuff has a 300+pound per square inch holding strength. Is available in around 15 or so viscosities. It is also available in odor control versions. It is an eye and nasal irritant. But, the mucous membranes instantly neutralize the vapors and make them harmless.

Best bet to find it for a consumer level purchase would be a hobby store that sells high end RC planes and cars.

Thanks man
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 02:10 PM

Use Fuji hot glue, not super glue, at some point your tip may need to be replaced!!

I have replaced hundreds of rod tips when I was in the business. Super glue can weld the tip to the rod. Some will come off with a excess of heat & some, you will have to cut the tip off.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 03:37 PM

The gell type super glue works great. You can fix the tip of a rod in the boat in about 3 to 4 minutes. I carry an assortment of different size tips encase I break the tip. The next size tip will usually fit over the rod. Put the gell super glue on the very tip of the rod and put some inside the eye. Put it on the rod immediately, make sure eye is aligned and let set for about 3 minutes. The glue inside the rod tip takes a few more minutes to set up. Then go fishing. 5 minutes form broken tip to back to fishing.
Posted By: Mark Wendler

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Rube G.
Use Fuji hot glue, not super glue, at some point your tip may need to be replaced!!

I have replaced hundreds of rod tips when I was in the business. Super glue can weld the tip to the rod. Some will come off with a excess of heat & some, you will have to cut the tip off.

This^^^^ Unless you plan on NEVER replacing the tip again. Then use super glue or epoxy.

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Wendler
Originally Posted By: Rube G.

This^^^^ Unless you plan on NEVER replacing the tip again. Then use super glue or epoxy.

Never say never.....simply use CA "un-cure" to debond the glue. Takes about 4 seconds.
Posted By: Mark Wendler

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/09/16 09:16 PM

Never say never.....simply use CA "un-cure" to debond the glue. Takes about 4 seconds.

Oh heck, now I'm interested since there is an undo feature. The only reason I use the Fuji hot glue was to have the ability the change the tip when needed. (I'm hard on tip inserts) But sometimes, the Texas sun gets hot enough to soften the glue, and let the tip rotate, when the rod is laying on the deck. If I can get a stronger hold, and a release agent, I'm in!! Gonna have to track down some "CA" glue and give it a try.

Thanks for the "re-tip" SteezMacQueen.

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/10/16 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Wendler

Oh heck, now I'm interested since there is an undo feature. The only reason I use the Fuji hot glue was to have the ability the change the tip when needed. (I'm hard on tip inserts) But sometimes, the Texas sun gets hot enough to soften the glue, and let the tip rotate, when the rod is laying on the deck. If I can get a stronger hold, and a release agent, I'm in!! Gonna have to track down some "CA" glue and give it a try.

Thanks for the "re-tip" SteezMacQueen.

You are welocome. In fact, the very reason I tried it on a rod was the tips would get loose in the Texas sun with the hot glue.
Posted By: Old Tracker

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/10/16 12:27 AM

I use 5 min epoxy, heat it with a lighter to remove.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Best Glue to use for rod tip - 11/10/16 01:27 AM

Devcon epoxy, the hot melt that comes with rod repair kits doesn't cut it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum