Texas Fishing Forum

Tripped by Slade...

Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Tripped by Slade... - 11/08/16 02:41 PM

Well, last Saturday I finally did it. I had been contemplating booking a trip with Slade for a loooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg time. Yes I am going to do it, not I am not, yes I am, no I am not...etc. Well, I booked one. My friend and I decided to go up two days early and get some bonus time on Lake Fork before meeting with Slade. Had an ok day of fishing, didn't go really far being that I don't know the lake and don't have the boat lanes on my graph. We were staying in Little Caney so that is where we kept the boat. Then comes Saturday.

First off Slade calls me the night before and confirms that I was able to make it and to let me know that he is ready as well. Very much appreciate this. I had one other experience on Lake Fork with a guide and that was a nightmare to the point that I would never consider taking a guided trip again that I paid for. That guide did not do the job I would expect a paid fishing guide to do. Nonetheless that is the past. If I am honest with you I was a bit skeptical about using an electronics guide as I was not sure how much of the instruction/set up I would need.

Slade meets me at the ramp, right on time, and we get ready to put the boat in the water. Slade inspects the location of the ducer mount and is satisfied. We launch the boat and Slade goes to work. I have a Lowrance HDS7, I know not a TV screen but I didn't feel that expense was necessary when I purchased my rig. He went straight to his work going through the settings on the graph and the way he went through the screens and changed various settings it was like he has done this a few times before (tongue in cheek here). When he was finished setting up the graph it looked great! We drove over some areas that he knew about and graphed some things and it was impressive what the graph was showing me and how to use all parts of the graph in concert with one another was great! Furthermore, he loads a fork file on my graph, he says there now you have all the boat lanes on your graph for Lake Fork. Very excited about that as I would love to come back to Fork from time to time just to have some fun.

All in all Slade is extremely knowledgeable and professional. He is patient and will answer your questions. He puts the graphs to work and then shows you the work they are capable of. My buddy with me is an accomplished bass fisherman and he stated that he will be booking a trip with Slade to set up his hummingbirds. This trip was worth every penny that I paid Slade for his expertise. Oh and BTW, did I mention I caught my PB to date after meeting with Slade? A 6.01 and then a 5.11 and then a 4+ in short order. Furthermore, he also set up my little bow graph as well. That thing looks great too now!

Slade's closing comments to me were, you are a customer for life if you have any problems just give me a call and I can generally help you through it over the phone. That's service, that's professionalism and sadly that is a lost ideal in many of today's businesses. Thanks Slade!
Posted By: burner42

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/08/16 02:57 PM

Thanks for the report, I have been considering booking a trip with Slade also. I just bought a boat and it has humminbird graphs I would like to know more about. Every time I go fishing I promise myself more time on the graph to figure it out, but I usually end up fishing all day and barely using the graph or just use it in maps and sonar, and not fully comprehending all its capabilities!
Good info! Thanks!
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/08/16 03:16 PM

I used him a couple of years ago. You can watch youtube videos and play with them while on the water and learn most everything that he teaches....if you want to spend hours on videos and probably a year of testing on the water or you can go with him and learn more in about 4 hours. He is great at teaching you to maximize your units ability and to read what it is telling you. I've had his trip and probably 4 guide trips on Fork. His was the best trip, hands down.
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/08/16 03:28 PM

Saw you guys on the water and after you loaded up, I think. It was in the afternoon. Love the color scheme on that boat!

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/08/16 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Alex Finch
Saw you guys on the water and after you loaded up, I think. It was in the afternoon. Love the color scheme on that boat!

Thx! Yeah she's older but quite a runner
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/08/16 08:43 PM

Great job! I've heard nothing but good things about his ability to set up electronics.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/08/16 08:55 PM

He's a Good dude for sure...
Posted By: tigers5285

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/08/16 09:41 PM

I also took a trip with slade he took his time and set all 3 graphs up perfectly. Upon returning to Conroe I had a few questions. I sent him few text received feedback almost immediately. Good guy and worth the money.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/08/16 09:49 PM

I need to take my old Green Box Lowrance to him and let him tweak it a bit.... wink
Posted By: Dean74

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/08/16 10:56 PM

I took the trip with Slade back in September and I was very pleased.
Posted By: Paradise Hoss

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/09/16 12:51 AM

I am a tad bit biased by being his friend but in my opinion while he is the best at what he does I also feel he is a better person. He is a stand up gentleman who is passionate about his fellow man and sharing his talents with them.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/09/16 01:28 AM

If you're in doubt ??? take Slade OUT... cheers
Posted By: OliverBassin

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/09/16 08:33 AM

Nice write up fish

-----------------------------------------
Life Sometimes Sucks. Fishing Always Helps.
piscifun fishing
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/09/16 01:44 PM

He adjusts my stuff every other week, and I always get the same response, "QUIT PUSHING ALL THE BUTTONS!!!" Can he talk to me that way??? bolt
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/09/16 03:38 PM

How much does he charge for a trip?
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/09/16 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: goodman1389
How much does he charge for a trip?

$250 for half day, works out of Oak Ridge Marina. He's not a bass guide, strictly electronics.
Posted By: CHUNK-N-WINDING

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/10/16 01:33 AM

One of the main reasons I took him out is that I had 6k in electronics and had not a clue how to set it up and decipher what I was looking at. After the trip and the time that he saved me, the 250 bucks was cheap. And he does mean the customer for life motto!
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/10/16 01:56 AM

Where can we find contact info?
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/10/16 03:22 AM

I have a trip with him Sunday so I can understand my new Helix! Looking forward to it.

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/10/16 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Matt Jackson
Where can we find contact info?

You can search for him on here under Slade or on facebook.
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/10/16 12:39 PM

slade.dougharty.sd@gmail.com
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/10/16 01:48 PM

Slade is the best at setting up your electronics and then showing you how to use it as well. You get way more information from him than the book or youtube videos can ever show you.

If you fish Fork quite a bit get the Legends map card.
Posted By: DMLSkeeter

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/11/16 02:06 AM

Best money you will ever spend!! I thought my electronics were spot on.. Was I ever wrong!!!
Posted By: dhelms

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/11/16 03:09 AM

Anybody got his contact info?
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/11/16 03:12 AM

I posted it on the sandbass thread in here
Posted By: Dean74

Re: Tripped by Slade... - 11/11/16 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: dhelms
Anybody got his contact info?
pm sent
Posted By: dhelms