Texas Fishing Forum

Wacky vs Texas Rigged

Posted By: SlowDown

Wacky vs Texas Rigged - 11/06/16 06:30 PM

When fishing a senkos, under what conditions do you fish it wacky style, and under what conditions do you fish it Texas rigged?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Wacky vs Texas Rigged - 11/06/16 10:01 PM

In general:

Wacky--bass spawn, blue gill spawn (spring), over shallow and mid depth grass neko wacky rigged, docks, shallow/inside grassline

Texas rig--shad spawn, late summer/fall transition, fall, next to wood, lily pads, a little deeper/outside grassline

Re: Wacky vs Texas Rigged - 11/06/16 10:30 PM

Appreciate the reply Colincounty. Sounds good, thanks.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Wacky vs Texas Rigged - 11/06/16 11:51 PM

I generally fish it wacky style unless thick grass or brush makes too frustrating, then I'll switch to t-rigging it since it comes through cover better that way.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Wacky vs Texas Rigged - 11/07/16 12:47 AM

I fish it whacky style when it gets too torn up from weightless t riggin.

Re: Wacky vs Texas Rigged - 11/07/16 01:14 AM

East Texas and Steez, thanks for your replies. Always helps to learn how others fish different baits to compare to the way I have been fishing them. The way East Texas described is about the same as I normally rig them. Was looking on the internet and discovered yet another senko rigging method that looks interesting. They call it the Nero rig, is a wacky rig with a weight in the head. Fishes kinda like a combination of a drop shot and a shakey head. Normally used in deeper water. Right now, I'm fishing fairly shallow and in hydrilla, so it wouldn't be a good rig in my conditions.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Wacky vs Texas Rigged - 11/07/16 01:21 AM

Go to the garage and grab some small screws and nails. Very helpful at times adding weight to wacky and texas rigged senkos especially if there's wind, grass, deeper areas.

Re: Wacky vs Texas Rigged - 11/07/16 01:26 AM

Colincouny, I'm with you. Did that very thing this afternoon. Locked and loaded!
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Wacky vs Texas Rigged - 11/07/16 01:37 AM

I've never noticed to big of a difference. I've caught fish all year round on both, it's just a matter of what the fish want and what you have confidence in.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Wacky vs Texas Rigged - 11/08/16 12:44 AM

These can be fished shallow all the time but I mostly fish them in the spring. I will have both on deck but throwing it wacky rigged is my first choice unless the cover is too thick for it. I seem to get bit more on the wacky rig and when the bite slows on it I then switch to the tx. rig and see if they will bite that. I switch back and fourth throughout the day.

I use a Senko, Yum Dinger, Tiki Stick or V&M chopstick for wacky rigging and a Grande bass snake-o, Reaction Innovation pocket rocket, or a Lake Fork Tackle hyper stick for my weightless Tx. rig.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum