Texas Fishing Forum

Rod and Guide Repair

Posted By: Brent S

Rod and Guide Repair - 11/06/16 05:25 PM

How many of you guys repair your own guides? I've paid to get some guides replaced before and it wasn't cheap. I'm thinking about just doing it myself. I've got a few bent guides and a guide missing an insert. I'm looking at buying a wrapper, thread, and epoxy to do it myself though I would like some feedback before going through with it.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Rod and Guide Repair - 11/06/16 05:30 PM

It's pretty simple to do. Check out some of the YouTube video's on the subject. The biggest pain is just collecting all of the necessary equipment to do it.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Rod and Guide Repair - 11/06/16 05:49 PM

I save broken rods for the eyes.a little superglue and power pro works.
Posted By: Old Tracker

Re: Rod and Guide Repair - 11/06/16 08:12 PM

Repairing guides is fairly easy; checkout mudhole.com for instructional videos and supplies
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Rod and Guide Repair - 11/06/16 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Old Tracker
Repairing guides is fairly easy; checkout mudhole.com for instructional videos and supplies

That's where I've been looking. Very informative and they have everything!
Posted By: BaylorBass

Re: Rod and Guide Repair - 11/06/16 08:26 PM

It's honestly not very difficult to learn. I wrap custom rods, but just putting on a new eye isn't tough. If you're not doing many, just build yourself a hand wrapping lathe... no need to buy an expensive power lathe.
Posted By: Triton417

Re: Rod and Guide Repair - 11/07/16 02:21 AM

I took a class with Mud Hole. As part of the class you received everything you need to repair your rods except for the drier. You get plenty of help while building your own rod.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum