Texas Fishing Forum

Who's been fishing Athens?

Posted By: Chris_K

Who's been fishing Athens? - 11/06/16 01:14 PM

Haven't been able to find em the past two weekends. No schoolers and can't find any action in the creeks.. Where are they at??? I know some one is still catching 200 a day. eek
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Who's been fishing Athens? - 11/06/16 04:57 PM

The lake is fishing really tough for me also.I haven't found many since back in the summer.
Posted By: Kiss88

Re: Who's been fishing Athens? - 11/06/16 06:47 PM

I have been out a few times the last few weeks. Fish are shallow and in the thick stuff.
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Who's been fishing Athens? - 11/06/16 08:01 PM

Fished it Friday found the same results caught 10 no real pattern. What happen to the pads in impala this year?
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: Who's been fishing Athens? - 11/06/16 09:21 PM

Fished Texas Bass Couples early bird a couple of weeks ago! Yellow magic early, swimbaits around the grass! If the wind is blowing, they were killing a buzzbait! But they are in the thick grass!
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Who's been fishing Athens? - 11/07/16 01:59 AM

Flip on the grass edge near thick stuff and frogs were working decent in the same areas.
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: Who's been fishing Athens? - 11/07/16 06:21 AM

Nutman
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Who's been fishing Athens? - 11/07/16 10:25 AM

Is Nutman on double secret probation again? I haven't seen any post from him in awhile.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Who's been fishing Athens? - 11/07/16 11:20 AM

Bill Wilcox/Honey Hole published a fall 2016 trip to the lake yesterday, went to his normal favorite areas and seemed to catch a good quantity of bass, only a few were of any decent size. It seems like, Monte Coon, his Moritz Chevrolet guest, caught the largest bass that day, maybe 4 pounds, right at the end of the program.

I couldn't tell from the video what day the fishing occurred, only that it was just after a front had moved through, bluebird skies . . . and it was a cool morning.

As usual, Bill discussed baits used, locations. I believe he also mentioned that while LMBs school up on Athens a lot, they likely wouldn't be doing it much that day based on the weather conditions but thought they might see some "feeding up" at times or words to that effect.

Something else I heard on the video I tucked away in one of my memory cells for a future need? That bass prefer the grass to the docks, if they have a choice . . . because the bait fish prefer the grass.

Monte gave the pro tip and he showed his bait (he downsized because of the tough bite), how he rigged it, gave a plug to TFF's Carlos as his supplier of the pegs and tungstens he prefers.

Good video:

Honey Hole on Lake Athens 2016

Brad
Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: Who's been fishing Athens? - 11/07/16 11:55 AM

Is Honey Hole shown on any local DFW TV stations anymore? Damned shame that we are left with just one show, DFW Outdoorsman or what ever they are called.
Posted By: CartersFishingAdventures

Re: Who's been fishing Athens? - 11/07/16 12:39 PM

I was there Saturday and caught a lot on frog in back of creeks mid lake. then tried crappie fishing and found some out deep in 30 foot on brush piles. wacky worm is still a killer but keep a frog in your hand and just have confidence and throw it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum