Texas Fishing Forum

Florida peacock bass fishing

Posted By: Skeet...Skeeter

Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/05/16 12:12 AM

I will be in Orlando Florida for 9 days and looking to get some bass fishing in. Has anyone ever been in that area or know of a good guide?
Thanks.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/05/16 12:40 AM

You need to get to Miami to Peacock Bass fish. They live in the Miami canals.

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/05/16 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: PowerLizard
You need to get to Miami to Peacock Bass fish. They live in the Miami canals.

Dang ok I didn't know that. That's over a 3 hour drive from where I am staying. Thanks
Posted By: RickD78

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/05/16 04:23 AM

I'm planning a guys trip to Miami in April for peacocks and okeechobee. Has anyone done a similar trip and how was the fishing?
Posted By: Space

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/05/16 02:34 PM

I went to Miami a few years ago for peacock and caught some chiclad(spelling) around 2#, the most fun fish I have caught, in the lagoon behind the hotel we tried for tarpon but they took off real quick, behind the lagoon we entered a canal and came across a school of snook, I was them night before from the hotel dock, we chased them for about 1.5 hr. before we moved on. We came into another lagoon and another large school of tarpon had several long releases before they move on. We fished c-rig with live bait for peacock at the cement bulkheads behind the houses lots of 2-3# and a few 4#. Nothing like the Amazon peacock, these fight like a regular bass. Just be prepared for anything in Miami. I can't remember the guideservice but they have guides all over Forida.

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/05/16 06:25 PM

Thanks I am still trying to find something.
Posted By: bighead

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/05/16 06:59 PM

http://flyfishpeacocks.com/mark.htm

Used this guy for fly fishing for peacocks. Caught several to 4.5# plus bonus fish. Good time and low cost for a guide trip.
Posted By: BassObsessed

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/05/16 11:37 PM

Here's another guide for peacocks in the Miami area.

https://floridaevergladesbassfishingadventures.com/

If you need a guide to fish Lake Toho while you're in Orlando let me know.

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/05/16 11:47 PM

Thanks guys!!
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/06/16 01:11 AM

Capt. Frank Carbone of HawgHunter Guide Service check out his website @ hawghunterguideservice.com

I have fished the canels 4 times and okeechobee once with frank and he has been great each trip.
Posted By: champRD

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/06/16 04:30 PM

Hey Space, do you remember name of the hotel? Also what time of the year did you go? Thanks.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/06/16 10:25 PM

There are several hotels near the blue lagoon ramp that Hawghunter guide service uses, Miami Airport Hilton, A Hampton Inn, and Miami Airport Hyatt. the ramp is at a small park on 7th street near LaJunne.
My largest peacock from the canels was 4 pounds, that was several years ago, frank reports catches up to 7 to 8 pounds now.

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/06/16 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: champRD
Hey Space, do you remember name of the hotel? Also what time of the year did you go? Thanks.

I think it was the Airport Hilton it's old but very nice. The guide service set it up for me and I think it was Hawghunters. march or april
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/07/16 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Space

I think it was the Airport Hilton it's old but very nice. The guide service set it up for me and I think it was Hawghunters. march or april

Were you just flipping live shiners on a spinning rod or were you throwing jigs with baitcasting equipment?
Posted By: champRD

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/07/16 03:34 AM

Appreciate info Space and P2.

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/07/16 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: meP2too
Capt. Frank Carbone of HawgHunter Guide Service check out his website @ hawghunterguideservice.com

I have fished the canels 4 times and okeechobee once with frank and he has been great each trip.

Thanks for this!!!!

Re: Florida peacock bass fishing - 11/07/16 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: PowerLizard
Originally Posted By: Space

Were you just flipping live shiners on a spinning rod or were you throwing jigs with baitcasting equipment?

spinning rod.

good luck
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum