Texas Fishing Forum

Missing on Frogs

Posted By: Kiss88

Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 09:09 PM

Wondering if i can get some help and experience advice. I was fishing with a ribbit top toad yesterday....had about 15-20 bass hit it. Only caught 4. When they hit i am really in the slack and waiting for a tug then setting the hook. I can feel the fish for 1-2 sec and then he's gone! I am trying to be patient and not jerk it out of their mouth too soon. Cant figure out what im doing wrong. I am fishing in some fairly thick grass. Also....i am bending the hooks out slightly as to increase my hook ups (which isnt working for me). Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 09:10 PM

What action rod are you using? Are you using braid?

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 09:13 PM

Medium Heavy 7' rod with mono. I have tried braid (a whole nother topic) and dont like it. I dont get the distance and it seems to knot up after a half day of using it.

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 09:17 PM

Frog fishing almost requires braid. Mono has a ton of stretch and will cost you fish. The braid will also cut through the vegetation which will help get those fish in the boat as well. I would also try stepping it up to a H action rod. It sounds like your approach to hook sets and your lure mods are spot on. Just need to tweak your gear a bit. Braid can be frustrating but it is necessary when throwing frogs.

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 09:25 PM

Sounds like I need to build a love/hate relationship with braid. Will also look into a heavy action rod. Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated.

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 09:29 PM

No problem man. Good luck thumb
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 09:32 PM

I can tell you from experience that the mono will not work. I lost two quality aka big fish in a tournament using it. 65lb braid and a 7'6 heavy rod keeps them coming you way.

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 09:35 PM

Thanks for input.
So is there something I need to do to combat the BS that comes with braid? Or does everyone deal with braid issues?
Posted By: Resh

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 09:46 PM

What issues do you have with braid? I spool it on everything I can get away with and use a fluoro leader when I need to specifically because braid seems to NOT cause me problems. Only problem is picking out a backlash but as heavy as frogs are you can put your brakes on and thumb it and still chunk it quite a ways.

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 10:04 PM

Seems to get knotted up. After half days use or so....i throw it and a knot catches and my line slaps the water. Not a backlash just something snagging and stopping my line in mid cast
Posted By: blackhawk19

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 10:40 PM

It took me a while to find a braid I like. J-Braid X8 has been working for me on the frog bite.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Kiss88
Seems to get knotted up. After half days use or so....i throw it and a knot catches and my line slaps the water. Not a backlash just something snagging and stopping my line in mid cast

Hmm gotcha. Haven't had that issue, I use power pro and it's worked fine. Anything I have to pick out is my fault !!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 10:49 PM

I use a Heavy action 7ft rod with 65 pound # 832 Suffix braid and I don't have a problem fishing frogs with it. It sounds like your line is getting stuck on itself on your reel spool and it sticks during your cast. Try tightening up on your tension knob just a little and don't cast as hard as you have been. See if that helps.
Posted By: RipX21

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 10:54 PM

Lake Fork Tackle makes a trailer hook which has two loops that hook over the double hook on frogs which come with a hook.. This hook has one hook which extends out behind the frog and stands up. It works thru grass and lily pads well without hanging and it does a great job of hooking the fish.

Try them You'll like them...

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/04/16 11:40 PM

Sweet!!!! All the info is helpful. Thanks to all!
Posted By: Skerz

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/05/16 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
I use a Heavy action 7ft rod with 65 pound # 832 Suffix braid and I don't have a problem fishing frogs with it. It sounds like your line is getting stuck on itself on your reel spool and it sticks during your cast. Try tightening up on your tension knob just a little and don't cast as hard as you have been. See if that helps.

One little tweak to this recommendation as an option from personal preference is using 40# Suffix 832 vs 65#. I've got one spooled up with 65 and no issues at all but 40# seems to work a little slicker for me.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/05/16 02:08 AM

40# in heavy cover will break off especially with heavier action big rods. I'd go 50# at the lightest with a 7ft mh/h and 65-80# with the heavier action 7'3-8ft
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/05/16 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Kiss88

Keep your thumb on the reel as it cast and don't sling it as hard as other lines. Braid doesn't like to be slung really hard. I also have to ride my thumb a little more than with normal lines. Also, get a heavy rod. The one I use is like a broomstick.

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/05/16 03:41 AM

If you ain't gettin bruises from your hookset, you need to beef up your gear.
Posted By: LA Ron

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/05/16 12:47 PM

have a Falcon Low Rider 7-4 Heavy (its like a broomstick) ,50 lb power pro, Lews super duty 7:1, Spro 65. I set the hook on initial strike. If they dont miss it I probably have a 95% hook up. Stiff rod and braid may be a little hard to throw but absolutely does the trick !
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/05/16 02:22 PM

your lure stopping midway is because braid needs to come off the spool as you are thumbing it. It doesnt like to come off the spool at a fast rate. it likes to bind itself as the spool is spinning. Try using a rounder braid as well like Daiwa J braid.
Posted By: texlacat

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/05/16 03:14 PM

You need to switch to a spinning rod and reel. Medium heavy rod and 30# SpiderWire braid. Cast longer, more accurate, and you will be able to skip it in places you can't with a baitcaster.
Posted By: texlacat

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/05/16 03:37 PM

Posted By: highroller7

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/06/16 01:26 AM

Use a super fluke , the giant size, when they aren't grabbing the frog. Work it the same way, or even walk the dog with it (fast.) Drop the rod on the bite. Hook up 2-3X.
Posted By: Scott's Creek Skeeter

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/06/16 02:24 AM

I use 65lb Power Pro Slick. 7'6" Custom frog rod. Don't miss many...
Posted By: Matt Newsom

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/07/16 03:10 PM

Get some better braid. The cheap stuff will really turn you off to it. I use to hate it also. I started using Daiwa Samurai. Stuff is great. Cast almost as easy as mono and it doesnt get all buggered like the cheaper braid. If you dont want to break out the bucks for a high end braid at least try and find a 8 strand.

Matt
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/07/16 04:30 PM

U can put a trailer hook on a frog.. but tough to use in thick mated veg. I don't have problems with braid, Guessing u need to find a good reel to use. I have had issues with lower end reels.

I mean braid does have a tendency to knot up more. Last week I got a knot on the rod tip. had to cut the bait and re tie.
Posted By: J_Cagle_Fishing

Re: Missing on Frogs - 11/07/16 05:01 PM

sounds like the braid is digging into itself on the spool. I spool mono on first then braid. helps the braid not dig into itself as much
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum