Texas Fishing Forum

Culling Tags W/Clamps

Posted By: Bulletman99

Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 03:32 PM

I want to get away from the old style tags that use the stringer type clamps you push through the fishes mouth making a hole and use plastic spring clamps instead. Yes I can buy them but want to build my own custom tags. Problem is, I cannot find the plastic type clamps that most manufacturers use.

Does anyone have a link or a contact to find these clamps???
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 04:15 PM

Berkley conservation culling clips, 1-800-237-5539, $ 14.95, you can also sometimes find some old stock on ebay.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 04:21 PM

Bass Pro has a good model with just rope hanging, no leverage for fish to lose connection. If you clip it in the cartilage gap in their lower jaw it holds like a champ!

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Bass Pro has a good model with just rope hanging, no leverage for fish to lose connection. If you clip it in the cartilage gap in their lower jaw it holds like a champ!
Yes those look fairly similar to berkley ones. http://www.basstacklemaster.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Digital-Fish-Scale-with-Culling-Sys-p/bpst10033.htm
Posted By: GROD

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 04:42 PM

I have used many style of clamps over the years and have yet to find one that will hold... especially if you have more than one fish in the same livewell.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 04:43 PM

I don't fish many tournaments anymore at all nor did I, but when I did I only used tags on fish I really thought I would be upgrading...
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 05:04 PM

This? Or Accu-Cull

Posted By: stetson

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: GROD
I don't fish many tournaments anymore at all nor did I, but when I did I only used tags on fish I really thought I would be upgrading...

Gotta be optimistic and put a tag on 5lbers banana
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 06:47 PM

Tags were more for catching the little fellers than culling. They always got measured and balanced beamed when exceptionally close.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 06:52 PM

I liked the idea of the plastic clips too....until one cost me a new boat. Went from a chance to lead wire to wire and win 1st to 18th, 10th, and 4th on the final day. The plastic clip broke and a good fish went overboard at weigh in. Too late to try and catch another one.

Now days.....it's poke-a-hole style for me. Just sayin
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 07:00 PM

Plastic clips are good, but you can't hold your fish by them or try to wrangle your fish with them or they'll pop off. I use them and they work pretty well. Make sure you clip in the right spot too.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 07:05 PM

I've used the clips twice and opened the live well to see them not doing their job at all.

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: 6BOOMER
This? Or Accu-Cull

Neither, berkley made a beefier clip than those, the berkley ones pictured do not stay on fish very well.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/03/16 09:38 PM

Any of the culling rings, snaps, or clips are NOT designed to hold or "wrangle" the fish. Even using the fish stringer style that puncture and trying to lift or pull the fish can cause the entire lip to rip. The tags/clips are meant for culling. Yep that means you gotta go Livewell diving and corral the fish. Maybe pull the fish easily within reach, but if you pull him up and out then you can be on borrowed time until it rips or pops loose and you loose the fish like SteezMacQueen!. When you are loading up your fish for weighin put your bag in the livewell and lead the fish in the bag and then remove the clip OR wait and remove it at the check in station.

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/04/16 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: 6BOOMER
This? Or Accu-Cull

These are the clips I'm looking for---I want "ONLY" the clips. I am making some custom made tags---Does anyone know where I can get just the CLIPS???

Thanks
Posted By: Banker Fisherman

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/04/16 06:21 PM

I remember one time I was out fishing a few years ago and caught a bass that had this scar/cartalidge looking sore on its lower lip that was the size of a small rectangle. I was fishing with a family friend and asked what this was, if it was some sort of cancer, disease, etc...he explained to me that it was actually from a culling clip, there was a tournament on the lake the weekend before. It made sense to me, fish in a live well will tend to swim around, causing the clip to rub, or if there are other fish in there they may fight one another.

There is a great video on YouTube by BassResource about how to properly cull bass. Just search "how to cull bass"; It shows how the traditonal metal clipped culling system is used. You do not need to punture a hole in the fishes mouth, it is simply placed through the gill plate closes to the jaw of the fish.

Now I know that everyone has their opinion on what to do, I have just found this very helpful and has worked for me without causing physical harm or stress on the fish.

On another note, what ways were you wanting to have a customized culling system? like what features are you looking for?
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/04/16 09:24 PM

I haven't found a clip type culling device yet that will hold when pulled on to remove any fish much over 2lbs. IF they fight while you are lifting the clip will come loose. Also the "rope" ends on most of these type devices will not flow after a while so you have to dig around in the live well looking for it. One tiny hole in the upper lip of the base will not harm the fish long term.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/05/16 01:29 AM

The X-Tools system I bought years ago had plastic clips. I ended up taking them off and replacing them with clasps from an old style metal stringer.
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/05/16 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Razorback
The X-Tools system I bought years ago had plastic clips. I ended up taking them off and replacing them with clasps from an old style metal stringer.

+1 Same here.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/05/16 03:07 AM

I wound up making mine. An old metal clip stringer, 6 big ol' crappie floats, and some 550 paracord.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/07/16 03:32 PM

go to Lowes or Home Depot....get the smallest wood clamp you can find....the spring type.....that's what I used to make mine.....attatch them to some floats.....works great...
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/09/16 07:56 AM

Just finished watching the election results. Forget clips. Never found 1 that worked well. Take a file and sharpen your culling rings. Put it as close as possible to the lip of the bass and it will leave a very small hole that will heal quickly.

Bill Wilcox had a honeyhole episode that shows you how and I do not remember the episode. Just watch all of em!!
Posted By: BigBassB

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/09/16 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Banker Fisherman
I remember one time I was out fishing a few years ago and caught a bass that had this scar/cartalidge looking sore on its lower lip that was the size of a small rectangle. I was fishing with a family friend and asked what this was, if it was some sort of cancer, disease, etc...he explained to me that it was actually from a culling clip, there was a tournament on the lake the weekend before. It made sense to me, fish in a live well will tend to swim around, causing the clip to rub, or if there are other fish in there they may fight one another.

There is a great video on YouTube by BassResource about how to properly cull bass. Just search "how to cull bass"; It shows how the traditonal metal clipped culling system is used. You do not need to punture a hole in the fishes mouth, it is simply placed through the gill plate closes to the jaw of the fish.

Now I know that everyone has their opinion on what to do, I have just found this very helpful and has worked for me without causing physical harm or stress on the fish.

On another note, what ways were you wanting to have a customized culling system? like what features are you looking for?

Interesting. Have you ever had any issue with damaging the gills?

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/09/16 03:53 PM

I push the clip thru the top lip adjacent to the middle support ridge. I have found this does the list damage to the fishes ability to feed when released. The top lip barely moves when a pass flares its mouth to suck in prey.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/09/16 10:40 PM

Has anybody found the Stainless metal wire like the safety clip style? They are just wire and no flat plates for the tip cover.

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/10/16 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Joel McBride
Just finished watching the election results. Forget clips. Never found 1 that worked well. Take a file and sharpen your culling rings. Put it as close as possible to the lip of the bass and it will leave a very small hole that will heal quickly.

Bill Wilcox had a honeyhole episode that shows you how and I do not remember the episode. Just watch all of em!!

When I still watched HH remember an texas state bass tourney episode where he was using the berkley clip above except he was tearing big 'ol holes in the fishes mouth so the clips would stay eek probably got some hell for that.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/10/16 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119
Has anybody found the Stainless metal wire like the safety clip style? They are just wire and no flat plates for the tip cover.

I have been looking for just these clips for a while, still end up using metal stringer clips. I keep my in the livewell year round, so I have to change the clips out about once a year.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/10/16 02:51 PM

Shower curtain hangers at Walmart and ACE Hardware have them.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/18/16 01:53 PM

[quote=Joel McBride]Just finished watching the election results. Forget clips. Never found 1 that worked well. Take a file and sharpen your culling rings. Put it as close as possible to the lip of the bass and it will leave a very small hole that will heal quickly.

Bill Wilcox had a honeyhole episode that shows you how and I do not remember the episode. Just watch all of em!

I'm a coach for a High School Bass Club....we are governed by BASS.....the "old fashioned" stringer-style cull tags are banned......we MUST go with clips.....
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/18/16 02:01 PM

The clip on kind I have didn't work very well. I went back to the old style.
Posted By: sarmst100

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 11/18/16 11:26 PM

Good video for proper culling.

Culling without a trace

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 12/07/16 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: redskeeter190

I'm a coach for a High School Bass Club....we are governed by BASS.....the "old fashioned" stringer-style cull tags are banned......we MUST go with clips.....
Huh?, are other BASS sanctioned clubs going this route?
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 12/07/16 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BigBassB
Originally Posted By: Banker Fisherman

Interesting. Have you ever had any issue with damaging the gills?

I've done it this way for about 5 years now. There is often inflammation where the ring contacts the skin near the bottom of the gill plate, particularly in fish that I put on the cull beam more than once, but I haven't seen any damage to gills themselves.
Posted By: MT Livewell

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 12/07/16 05:43 PM

I just received my Accu Cull Culling System with the E-Con Culling Tags and Digital Scale. Talked to a number of fishermen using these and they love it! Nice video's on their website.

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 12/07/16 09:17 PM

I have never heard of the Clips being banned by BASS. I just read the 2017 rules and did not see it, Maybe I overlooked it but I have fished the BASS Federation tournaments for the last 3 yrs. and there are restrictions on the clips.

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 12/07/16 09:43 PM

Just read the Elite Rules for 2017. They state in Rulec18- "Non-penetrable culling clips are recommended". but not required.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 12/07/16 09:47 PM

Colored diaper pins.

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 12/08/16 06:30 PM

Well I ended up buying a new Rapala Scale which had the culling tags with clips with it. I say I bought a new one because I discovered my older one was not water-proof!!

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 12/12/16 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Texascajun69
I have never heard of the Clips being banned by BASS. I just read the 2017 rules and did not see it, Maybe I overlooked it but I have fished the BASS Federation tournaments for the last 3 yrs. and there are restrictions on the clips.
The elite tourney on the potomac they were banned but not due to BASS but the local DNR rules, I expect this is response to fishcare issues, I think they also have one eye on MLF and their not carpet rule. If people would pin them correctly its no big deal
Originally Posted By: sarmst100
Good video for proper culling.

Culling without a trace
but I guess they are rather wanting to just phase out old school clips.

Re: Culling Tags W/Clamps - 12/28/16 03:24 AM

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum