Texas Fishing Forum

Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks

Posted By: Banker Fisherman

Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/01/16 03:42 PM

Hello all you Yellow Magic fiends,

I am needing to replace the treble hooks on a 1/4oz Japanese Shad Yellow Magic lure. I know that there was a thread on here over 6 and a half years ago that brought this same topic up, but the reccomendations and links that were provided are no longer helpful.

So, I know that the size and weight of the treble hooks is key to help keeping the action of the bait true to a Yellow Magic. I actually found a treble for the end that I liked by Mustad which is their Ultra Point Feathered treble in White. Found it at cabelas in only one size, the number 4. It has a good mixture of white feather, red string, and holorgraphic thread. It actualy increases the profile of the bait and I have caught fish on this lure after the modification.

The only down side is that the extra weight has caused the lures back end to sit lower in the water. I believe the stock trebles are light wire and maybe a different size. Also, the original feathered treble on the lure is smaller with just a single white feather. There is still a popping action, but not that consistent "blurp" that you get with Yellow Magics.

If you have any suggestions on trebles to use or a place where I would be able to get a set of replacement YM hooks would be awesome...I have even thought about a red treble for the front since the popper mouth is red and it might present a more injured bait fish look...I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/01/16 04:27 PM

Anglers pro tackle has the Yellow Magic replacement hooks in stock. It's not listed on their website but you can call the store, they are of great help and great people.

http://anglersprotackle.com/
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/01/16 04:41 PM

Never let YM set tail down, level is what makes it work .
Also the mouth is different .
I paint the mouth white.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/01/16 04:51 PM

The 1/4 ounce takes a #6 hook front and back. I have used both Owners and Gamakatsus when I can find them.

The #4 hook goes with a 1/2 ounce Yellow Magic.

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/01/16 05:20 PM

These are some great suggestions and info. The front hook should be an easy find, its just that back feathered one that could be hard to match. I will give a call to AnglersProTackle and see what they say.

Also Rudy; when you paint your lures, do you have any special process? Like do you lightly sand, paint and then re-finish? I know some guys will go real detailed with model paint and what not, or just use nail polish, sharpies, etc...
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/01/16 10:49 PM

hey banker! i change hooks on our ym's pretty frequently using #4 mustad chemically sharpened in red for standard hooks or the 2x short shank for something a little more rugged. never have been able to find dressed trebles i thought were worth the money and i prefer buck tail to feathers so i tie my own.
i'd be happy to put a few together for you. pm me and let me know what color(s) you need.
re-worked ym.

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/01/16 11:47 PM

Basscat, that is an awesome looking yellow Magic you have there with the trailer in matching colors. I will definitely send you a pm and we can see about working something out. Thank you for the reply and the information.
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/02/16 12:01 AM

Hey Banker Fisherman, you forgot to mention that it was my yellow magic , how it got inside your box is a mystery to me.

roflmao

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/02/16 12:27 AM

Haha, well yes that is true. I'm just giving it a good workout and trying to dress it up real nice. Also, basscat; I tried PM'ing you but it looks like your box is full please pm me
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/02/16 01:22 AM

number 6 owner stingers with matching owner stinger dressed treble
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/06/16 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Banker Fisherman
These are some great suggestions and info. The front hook should be an easy find, its just that back feathered one that could be hard to match. I will give a call to AnglersProTackle and see what they say.

Also Rudy; when you paint your lures, do you have any special process? Like do you lightly sand, paint and then re-finish? I know some guys will go real detailed with model paint and what not, or just use nail polish, sharpies, etc...

Banker,

Zell Rowland taught me to paint mouth white, shows more flash under water.
Q tip outdoor paint.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/06/16 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Banker,

Q tip outdoor paint.

When mine chip off, I repaint it red, thinking it imitates a injured baitfish. Never thought of white, hmm interesting.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/07/16 12:13 AM

Banker,

Q tip outdoor paint.

Interesting..... noidea

Zell is one of the best topwater guys ever...

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/07/16 04:09 PM

Banker,

Q tip outdoor paint.

Thats awesome, I will have to give it a try and see what works best. I have used nail polish in the past for lures and like the felxibility and range of colors as well as finish selections. Also, when you buy polish it comes in a small container already so you dont have to get a large quantity for a small project.

I have also reached out to Basscat Dad about some Buck Tail dressed treble hooks and we are working together, will keep you updated.
Posted By: soje

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/07/16 07:30 PM

Those feathered hooks should be pretty easy to find as well. All the big names make multiple versions and sizes. Be careful. You may end up with an expensive lure building addiction.

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/08/16 02:01 PM

Hahaha, I can understand what you are saying. I try to walk the line on customized and exspensive. If you can have a customized lure with out big bucks, thats where I like to be at. I have taken some of the REBEL line of lures and done small tweeks to them like different paint accents or just simply re-sizing the trebles on them.
Posted By: RBO

Re: Yellow Magic Replacement Treble Hooks - 11/08/16 02:57 PM

Ann's Tackle in Jasper carries factory replacements.

409-384-7685
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum