Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn question

Posted By: Jigflippa

Rayburn question - 10/28/16 01:24 AM

Hi folks. Just moved here to the Rayburn area for college. Years back I would come to visit my uncle in the summertime and he would take me way back in a creek which opened up into a nice open spot with some water. I've always wanted to go back to that place but can't recall where it is now. My uncle passed away last year unfortunately. I'd really like to find that spot because my uncle told me that my grandfather used to take him there because my great grandfather owned the land that was there before the lake was impounded. Does anyone have any idea where this might be? I'd really like to go back there one more time. If I recall correctly it would have been somewhere mud lake but I can't be positive. Not trying to take anyone's honey hole. Just wanted to see that place again. I Havef a small aluminum boat so I should be able to get back in there. I remember it was hard to find if you didn't know what to look for. Feel free to shoot me a private message if you know a spot that sounds like this
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 02:20 AM

I'm not sure but Google earth might help
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 02:43 AM

That could be anywhere. Depends on water levels too. When the lake is up lots of places flooded as you describe.

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 03:11 AM

Thanks for the advice. I remember that it didn't necessarily look "flooded" so to speak. Looked like it had water most of the year. Not doubting you guys at all, I just remember going there even in the summer and winter when it wasn't flooded or even high water. It really opened up in the back. Almost looked like a pond. I think he said it was a hay field. I appreciate all the feedback
Posted By: Boone921

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 12:51 PM

You could go to the court houses of each county and do a deed record search of your grandpas name. Assuming that he didn't own a lot of land it should be easy. when you find the deed it should have a description of the land or a reference another document wi a description. The ppl at the court house will help you if you don't know how to search the records. go to the county seat of each county.
You might even be able to search on line.
Also should be county appraisal district should have records of land ownership.
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 02:05 PM

He never said they owned the land.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 02:29 PM

Do you know the section of the lake? I always thought the deer stand was a neat place.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 03:08 PM

I really would like to help you out. Perhaps the place where you guys launched would help? If you guys were in a small boat then you probably did not go far. A description of the launch site? I have memories like that with loved ones as well of Big Sam and they still resonate today so I know how important things like this are.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 03:12 PM

I bet he is talking about the "Deer stand" area between Shirley's creek marina and the mouth of the Attoyac. Years ago you could go in by Shirley's creek and come out on the point of Attoyac. The south entrance is a narrow gap and it opens up into a big open lake after you get thru it. It has grown up a lot in the last 10 yrs. and I don't know if you can go all the way thru it or not anymore.
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 03:35 PM

Couple questions might help guys figure this out, do you remember what ramp you went out of and how far you ran. Was it a creek that was a mile long, 4 miles, 100 yards? How wide was it? Any houses?

Wait until you get old and you do this with somewhere you went last week.....
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 03:37 PM

Deer Stand does sound like a possibility.
Posted By: RBO

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 06:15 PM

Sure sounds like The Deer Stand, or maybe The Canyons.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 08:42 PM

Canyons opens up more than deer stand but probably is one of the two
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: Rayburn question - 10/28/16 09:03 PM

If you don't remember what ramp it was, can you at least remember if it was down a long dirt road or was it right off the highway?

Re: Rayburn question - 10/29/16 12:16 AM

Pretty sure it was not down a dirt road. Where on the lake is canyons? I'm not familiar with that plave

Re: Rayburn question - 10/29/16 12:19 AM

It definitely wasn't very wide. My dad said he thought there might have been a house with a red roof last time he went but he's not sure. My dad said it was good during the spawn.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum