Texas Fishing Forum

Fish coming off square bill

Posted By: EZ_Legend

Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:13 PM

Last weekend I was fishing with a brand new Berkley square bill and had at least 7 bass come off about half way in after hook set. The hooks are all sharp and I was not doing anything different than I have with other cranks or sb's...

Question is has anyone experienced this or was it just a crazy day. That being said I had lost one the same way the following day...
Posted By: WacoHawgCaller

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:21 PM

jumping and throwing the bait?
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:21 PM

What are you using for a rod? I was losing a lot of fish before I started using either a Powell 705 CB Mod-fast or a Dobyns 704 CB. That made a major difference for me.
Posted By: WacoHawgCaller

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:35 PM

I also noticed a change for the better when i switched to a rod with a more forgiving tip. I was throwing sq bills on a tour kvd 6'6" MH. I love the rod bc its short, can make accurate casts and was versitile enough to throw a lot of different baits. But after noticing a higher number of fish throwing cranks, I decided to try some things. I first switched to a 7ft M KVD Tour Crankbait rod. I believe its composite, lots of parabolic bend. Worked well, fish loss went down, but casting accuracy suffered. I picked up a Lew Custom Speed Stick - Small Crankbait/SqBill rod at bass pro this summer. I bought it bc it seemed to be the best of both worlds. 6'8 - short enough for accurate casting, graphite but more forgiving action. Casts great, accurate, and minimizes fish loss. I really think the backbone in the rod hurts crankbait fishing. its great for ripping a trap or red eye shad. Everything else needs forgiveness.

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:35 PM

They would barely break the surface of the water when they came off, there were a few that came out and threw it but the majority felt like they just "let go".

I was using a 7'2" MH 13 fishing omen black. I'll change the rod and see if that helps.

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:39 PM

It is just strange to me because I have never had that happen before. I mean a couple here and there but it got out of hand last weekend.
Posted By: Huckleberry

keep your rod tip down, don't pump and reel, reel with a steady retrieve.
Posted By: Fish Killer

try a medium action rod, and try not to set the hook, just a small sweeping action should be all you need
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:44 PM

Sharp hooks and a good med action glass or composite rod helps keep them trapped on the bait. Keep the rod low and deep into the bend. Watch KVD work with a square bill. The rod stays waist high or below most of the time.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: jackson_ranger
They would barely break the surface of the water when they came off, there were a few that came out and threw it but the majority felt like they just "let go".

I was using a 7'2" MH 13 fishing omen black. I'll change the rod and see if that helps.

Its your rod. Color might of been off as well that will affect how good the fish gets hook allot of the time.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:50 PM

Definitely your rod. What line are you using also?? As someone above stated, don't set the hook, rather use a long sweeping motion.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:51 PM

I was coming on here to post this today also. Last 2 trips out I have lost 50% of the fish I hooked on a squarebill somewhere in the retrieve, not jumping, just came off. I'm using a 7' med action that is probably light at that. Seemed a little ridiculous. From what I can tell I'll just keep the rod low(er) and try that.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:52 PM

One thing I've done....is....take a pair of needlenosed pliers....and slightly "twist" each of the hooks...just above the bend....similar to the old Excalibur hooks....this has helped, tremendously.....
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:53 PM

Try changing to a more parabolic rod like a CB rod, also may want to change hooks. Set the hook with a low sweep and steady crank.
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 02:59 PM

Some days are just like that. No particular reason. Hang in there.

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 03:01 PM

Awesome! Thanks all, I was definitely not keeping the rod low but was not doing a full T-rig hook set either. I'll change rods and my retrieve and see how that works. Thanks a ton!!

P.S. I have 12lb florocarbon on that setup, you think mono would be better to allow a little more "flex" in the line?.
Posted By: BAGaBass

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 03:09 PM

Same thing happened to me couple days ago. Some days the fish arent fully committed to eating the bait or perhaps I was horsing them in a little more than usual that day. I use a 6'6" medium g Loomis for my square bill with a fast tip and have landed more fish on that than any other rod.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 03:10 PM

Awesome! Thanks all, I was definitely not keeping the rod low but was not doing a full T-rig hook set either. I'll change rods and my retrieve and see how that works. Thanks a ton!!

P.S. I have 12lb florocarbon on that setup, you think mono would be better to allow a little more "flex" in the line?.

A whole different subject. I like mono ... 12 to 15 #
Posted By: Hoghunter36

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 03:12 PM

It was the way they were eating sometimes especially fall or when there is a bunch of bait they won't really eat it they'll bump it and you will catch a hook on the edge of the lip.
Try a different color or ad a feather hook. Or different bait all together.
You found the fish now you have to figure out what makes em eat.

Also a softer action or mono if you can get away with it may give fish more time to eat the bait.
With flouro or braid and a hard action you can feel to well and swing early.

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 03:15 PM

cheers
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 03:38 PM

Although everyone that mentioned a forgiving rod as a fix is correct, no one has mentioned how you are setting the hook. A crankbait with treble hooks only requires a slight pull to set the hooks. A hard pull or quick snap will widen the hole where the hook penetrated and make it more of a possibility for the fish to throw it.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 04:05 PM

hold the rod at about 45 degrees . That way when the fish bites the tip of the rod will load as the fish pulls, not you. Also try switching colors or switching to a silent version(if your using rattles, vice versa). Try replacing the front hook with a red treble, try the mark Davis stinger trebles. Just a few ideas
Posted By: Michael.Beaty

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 04:31 PM

Medium Rod sweeping hookset Rod low constant reeling to keep pressure up. You can also sweep your Rod back as they jump to keep pressure on the hooks

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 04:37 PM

Good deal guys, sounds like it was all me. I must have been hauling them in too hard. The color was the only thing they would hit as far as fast moving baits, it was that or a T-rig. Thinking back now, I would have to give them a little extra time before setting the hook on the T-rig so that ties into what some of you said about how they were feeding. That along with my over eager retrieve sounds like a recipe for losing a bunch of fish.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/27/16 04:51 PM

switch out the hooks
Posted By: BigRed53

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/28/16 01:24 AM

Change your hooks out. Cheap hooks may be flexing, try 2x strong hooks.
Posted By: Deerhunter8

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/28/16 01:30 AM

Hooks made a huge difference for me up sizing the back hooks and bending them just a little. I do get hung up a few more times but I don't lose the fish like I used too.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/28/16 01:44 AM

Change rods and either color or size of the crank bait or both size and color.
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/28/16 03:01 AM

What color underwear were you wearing, makes a big difference banana cheers cheers

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/28/16 03:10 AM

Lmao!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/28/16 11:51 AM

It is just strange to me because I have never had that happen before. I mean a couple here and there but it got out of hand last weekend.

The one thing that remains constant in bass fishing is CHANGE. wink

Every day the bite is different. Some days they eat the bait and you can not take it away from them. Others they slap at it and don't get a hook very good. Sounds like what you had happen last weekend.

I would agree on using a softer glass or composite rod specific to crankbaits in the weight range you are throwing. I also agree that changing out hooks is critical. I like the Owner Stinger trebles. They are sharp & strong. The 2X or 3X may be overkill for the type of fishing you are doing.

Good Luck!
Posted By: snickers

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/28/16 12:18 PM

On the fish you do land where is the bait. Outside the mouth or just inside the mouth. They might not be commiting to the bait. Change colors

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/28/16 01:36 PM

Sounds good Ken, I'll give it a shot.

Snickers, it seems like they were all hooked just on the inside with the tail hook. None were hard to set loose, great point!
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/28/16 02:09 PM

Try not "setting the hook", sweep it like Mr. Miyagi says in the karate kid.

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/28/16 03:52 PM

thumb
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Fish coming off square bill - 10/28/16 04:33 PM

Make a more subtle change than your rod and use a lighter wire hook.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum