Texas Fishing Forum

Keeping boat positioned in deep water

Posted By: jkowalkowski3

Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 03:45 AM

How does everyone keep their boat positioned in one spot when fishing a ledge, drop off etc? I would love to get an ipilot but don't have the money for that yet. Is there an effective anchor for this or do I just need to get better at working the trolling motor? Would love to be able to just concentrate on fishing, especially on really windy days. Any advice is appreciated.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 03:47 AM

Throw out a buoy where you want trolling motor to be setting. Then stay near it with the trolling motor
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 12:02 PM

GPS and trolling motor does the job
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 12:07 PM

Rope anchor up wind.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 12:50 PM

Triangulation.....
Posted By: steve Mbass

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
Throw out a buoy where you want trolling motor to be setting. Then stay near it with the trolling motor

+1
Posted By: 9094

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 02:12 PM

Bouy and spot lock
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 02:14 PM

Any of the above.
Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 02:19 PM

For those of us without the new "spot-lock" feature (which is awesome). The best way is with a buoy like mentioned above. Worst part about buoys is having to wind them up when you move spots.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: SeaAggie2015
For those of us without the new "spot-lock" feature (which is awesome). The best way is with a buoy like mentioned above. Worst part about buoys is having to wind them up when you move spots.

And all the other boats homing in on your buoy bang
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 02:44 PM

The technique has been around for about 30,000 yrs. It is called a big rock and a rope. Nowadays you can get a plastic covered steel, but the technique is still the same. Anchor down wind or across wind from where you want to fish
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 03:07 PM

Or your partner constantly catching the rope after you've told him 100 times to stay clear of it!
Posted By: KingChamp202

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 03:27 PM

lmao
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 03:51 PM

I pilot and never look back.
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Texascajun69
The technique has been around for about 30,000 yrs. It is called a big rock and a rope. Nowadays you can get a plastic covered steel, but the technique is still the same. Anchor down wind or across wind from where you want to fish
im intigued, tell me more
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 05:48 PM

Waypoints and trolling motor. I have my spot marked then I fish around it looking for the "sweet" spot once I find it I put a waypoint there so I know where to position the boat. Landmarks help too. I like using A bouy but it attracts to many people and gives away your spot.
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: SKEETER_MAN_225
Waypoints and trolling motor. I have my spot marked then I fish around it looking for the "sweet" spot once I find it I put a waypoint there so I know where to position the boat. Landmarks help too. I like using A bouy but it attracts to many people and gives away your spot.

Something that really helps all of this and makes life easy out deep is a point one antenna at the front of the boat
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: COHLMEYER

Something that really helps all of this and makes life easy out deep is a point one antennae at the front of the. Pat.
my Garmin 93sv's internal GPS leaves a lot to be desired with boat heading. To the point where it's hard to run back over a waypoint without making multiple passes.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/26/16 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: COHLMEYER

Something that really helps all of this and makes life easy out deep is a point one antennae at the front of the. Pat.
This is why I have point1 on both graphs front and back
Posted By: dhelms

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/27/16 12:03 AM

Got to go with buoys in open water
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/27/16 08:59 AM

Forget the iPilot "spot lock" with a Minnkota and get an "anchor" with the Motor Guide Xi5... Lol
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/27/16 09:10 AM

I dont see how having a bouy out draws more attention to a spot than just seeing someone fishing off shore.
Posted By: Slade

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/27/16 09:58 AM

marker buoy and standing on the trolling motor, it is a beating sometimes but nothing better than feeling that thump out in deeper water IMO
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/27/16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: bronco71

And all the other boats homing in on your buoy bang

I paint my buoys black. Work fine because I know the general area they are in if I get blown off the spot, so they aren't hard to find, and it does wonders to keep the pot lickers away. They think your some goober casting at gar swirls or something.
Posted By: dustinmoorman

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/27/16 06:13 PM

Guess I have been lucky as far as the potlickers go... I just drop the bouys and keep the trolling motor on medium, rove between them.

Good way to use up a trolling motor battery, but hey it's what you gotta do!

Also if you can help it, point the hull in the direction the waves are coming in and it should help with drifting.

Once I get better at my electronics I might try the waypoints wink
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Keeping boat positioned in deep water - 10/27/16 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

+2
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum