Texas Fishing Forum

looking for my first bass boat - HELP

Posted By: J.Chambers

looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/24/16 11:55 PM

I am finally ready to buy my first boat. I am looking for any advice when buying used and also any leads on a boat in my price range.

I am looking for a 20 - 22 ft . Price limit is 27k

Thanks for any help I really appreciate it
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/24/16 11:58 PM

Come to Fun n Sun boats Saturday, they are having seminars and one will be what to look for in buying a used boat.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 12:02 AM

Best advice and recommendation I would give is try your best to buy a boat with a 4 stroke on it. I'm running a 150 SHO and is without a doubt the best motor I've ever had. Low maintenance, quick starting, real thrifty on fuel and really quiet.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Starling
Come to Fun n Sun boats Saturday, they are having seminars and one will be what to look for in buying a used boat.

this^

they will answer any questions you have.

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 12:14 PM

Bump
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 01:22 PM

i may have something that's in your price range.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 01:37 PM

Look on Boattrader.com you will be able to see what boats of different brands are selling for. Good Luck their are a few boats of different brands to chose from in your range. I believe their was a 210 Champion on Bass Boat Central that is a 2008 for 27,000 for example.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 02:18 PM

Can get a great boat for that.
Posted By: getbent956

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 02:41 PM

Keep your eyes open on here. I got a good deal. Your price range should get you a nice boat. Don't settle and keep looking. I was going to buy new but a used boat popped up with the electronics I wanted for almost half of what I would have paid. Different motor and colors than I wanted but saving over $20k it was easy to accept and the seller couldn't have been a nicer guy. As a thank you I gave him a really nice bark river skinning knife new in box.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 02:45 PM

Boats will be bargained price between now and spring.

Good luck
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 03:27 PM

Buy something with some warranty on it with that amount of cash!
Posted By: 89javelin100

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 04:11 PM

KEEP LOOKING ON THE TFF and look often and tell your friends to watch for you as well on here. Don't get in a hurry, unless u find one like I did.. A buddy found my boat for me on here and in a matter of a few hours it was sold, to me, and seller showed me over 50 messages of people wanting to come get it. A custom ordered 1996 Champion 202 dcx elite sits in my yard. Original owner, like new condition.

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 07:04 PM

Look at as many different ones you can and see what layout you like best. For the most part they will have either Lowrance or Humminbird electronics and either a Motor guide or Minn Kota trolling motor. Again, choose what you like best.

Stick with the better known brands.

Bass Cat
Champion
Skeeter
Ranger
Legend
Phoenix

Take your time.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 07:23 PM

look for a boat priced about 22-25k, you will want to change some things when you find one and don't wanna max out the card.

accessories like new gps/finder, power poles, jack plate and whatever else you might end up wanting/needing can quickly get to be over 5,000.00.

go take the fun n sun seminar then find a mobile mechanic (boat specific) that will do a check for ya for a reasonable cost.

some of the key elements to check are: do all guages/electronics/trolling motor etc. work? any major work done on engine? if not a composite boat (which about all in your range will be) check the transom for soundness/seal at bolts etc.
your mechanic should do a compression check on the engine, lower unit oil check for abnormal shavings etc.

boats are a constant learning process, I have been around them for more than 50 yrs and still am learning.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Look at as many different ones you can and see what layout you like best. For the most part they will have either Lowrance or Humminbird electronics and either a Motor guide or Minn Kota trolling motor. Again, choose what you like best.

Bass Cat
Champion
Skeeter
Ranger
Legend
Phoenix

Take your time.

None of these above
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry

Bass Cat
Champion
Skeeter
Ranger
Legend
Phoenix

Take your time.

None of these above

Interesting but in my opinion incorrect response. All those brands listed have always been on the recommended list.
Posted By: bell0347

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 08:19 PM

Put together a list of must haves and deal breakers. You say 20-22' but if you come across a steal on a 19' is that a deal breaker? What if it's a 21' but only has a 225hp on it, etc. Don't jump on a great deal that isn't what you want or can't live with, likewise don't overpay for something that's got all the bells, whistles and must haves. Take your time, be a bit flexible on make, color, motor brand, etc and I promise you'll come across a heck of a deal on something that will meet all your needs pretty soon. If you go to make the deal and something doesn't jive or sit right with you then back out. Oh, pay close attention to the trailer!! I've had more trouble from boat trailers, lights and tires than any boat or motor ever. Check the electrical system well too. Lights, switches, pumps, etc. Spend the 200-300 bucks it's gonna cost you to get a diagnostic check done by a mechanic. Ask the seller who his mechanic is and give em a call. If there's been major issues or work done on it they will likely remember. Make sure you get all the seats, cover, extra keys, spare tire lock keys, etc that the boat came with.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 08:31 PM

Look at the bottom of the skeg. If most of the paint has rubbed or wore off, more than likely the boat has not been taken the best care of....generalized statement, there are exceptions to every rule. But that's always been a deal breaker for me.
Posted By: TWINCITY

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 08:35 PM

Take your time. I love my four stroke. MY FOUR STROKE SIPS GAS. GET AT LEAST A FUEL INJECTED MOTOR. Always get a compression check on the motor. The lower the hours on the motor the better. Look to see how well it has been taken care of. SUN IS BAD. GARAGE KEPT IS BEST. Some say it but it may not be garage kept. I don't recommend a boat that has any wood in it.
Posted By: Motomax

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 08:41 PM

All great advice so far. If I had to do it again I'd get something well within my price range and deck it out with the best electronics and trolling motor I could afford. With your budget you'll find a great deal.

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry

Bass Cat
Champion
Skeeter
Ranger
Legend
Phoenix

Take your time.

None of these above

Interesting but in my opinion incorrect response. All those brands listed have always been on the recommended list.

2005 Bullet 20XD / 2006 250 Merc XS
28 Bravo XS, 12" jackplate, MG Tour 82#, HB 898C HD SI, HB 788C HD CI, cover. Boat is in immaculate shape, always kept inside garage w/cover on it. Won't find a 10 year old Bullet that has been babied any more than this one. Sportmaster lower unit, 1:67 gears.
24,900 OBO
[url]http://www.bassboatcentral.com/boats4salebullet.htm[/url}

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 09:25 PM

So a more appropriate/correct answer would be to suggest adding Bullet to the list not slam the other brands. It is however not one I would recommend for a first time boat buyer.

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher
So a more appropriate/correct answer would be to suggest adding Bullet to the list not slam the other brands. It is however not one I would recommend for a first time boat buyer.

Why not? This is basically a brand new boat that happens to be 10 years old. The same boat you would pay over $45,000 for and it includes nice electronics. That's a bad azz boat period! show me a 10 year old boat that's better ......

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 09:57 PM

It has nothing to do with your boat. I just don't think a Bullet is a good started boat. I'll leave it at that.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 10:21 PM

You guys are silly and have not been used boat shopping. If he finds a boat in his price range he better jump on it so fast that's his feet smoke. Anything under $25k moves fast!

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 10:23 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm looking very hard and hope to find one by January. I'm making sure I find something I really want . Really like skeeter : basscat
Posted By: hopalong

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/25/16 11:42 PM

I just linked the santone lures champion to your thread in the boats for sale section, you won't do better than that for boat.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/26/16 12:55 PM

Bullets are fine boats also, I just forgot to add them to my list.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/26/16 01:38 PM

Only bad things about Champions is that for 1 they are slow and 2, they don't have the storage of a Skeeter.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/26/16 02:47 PM

If you are interested in a Basscat call Tommy Yetts over at Rockwall Marine. He knows how to find used ones, he has a few for sale too. He can tell you where the best places are to go look online. I did this and found one in Mississippi, and I love it.

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/26/16 03:37 PM

You can also check the BassCat website. They have a section for used BassCats for sale. I found my last two BassCats on this site. Here is an 2009 20'6 Puma for sale with a 250 Pro XS.

http://basscatowners.yuku.com/topic/34780/MS-09-Puma-FTD-MERCURY-250-Pro-XS-24000

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/26/16 03:41 PM

Boat has some stress cracks, some scratches and a few chips on bottom ...510 hours on the motor.... that's much better, same price too!
Posted By: NitroUSAF

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/26/16 03:51 PM

Advice when buying used (simple version)
• Take a friend that knows boats (two sets of eyes are better than one when looking it over)
• Know what the must haves are and want the wants are
• Ask for a compression check
• Don’t be rushed, if the owner tells you he has other better offers they should take them
• Don’t underestimate the importance of inspecting the trailer
• Go for a test drive
• Last but not least, everyone on here will provide you great advice, but remember it’s your money and the final decision is yours
Posted By: m.sherman

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/26/16 06:43 PM

my advice is don't rush yourself it is exciting getting a new boat the excitement of the moment can get the better of anyone so slow down and be careful
you will have to figure out what kind of person u r example do you like 2 stroke or 4 stroke engines myself i am a 2 stroke guy
i also am very handy so i dont mind if i buy a boat with no extra equipment cause i like to install myself r u handy ?
plus what nitro usaf said
Posted By: B-Deuces

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/26/16 08:13 PM

Bass Cat
Champion
Skeeter
Ranger
Legend
Phoenix

Take your time.

is triton not a better known brand?
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/27/16 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: J.Chambers
I am finally ready to buy my first boat. I am looking for any advice when buying used and also any leads on a boat in my price range.

I am looking for a 20 - 22 ft . Price limit is 27k

Thanks for any help I really appreciate it
Have you ever driven a boat before? If your answer is yes then a larger boat will work. If you have never driven a boat then a 18-19 foot boat would better suit you. There are some REAL idiots out there on the water that have never driven a boat and they are driving a decked out 20-21 foot with major horsepower and I am sorry but they are a disaster waiting to happen. Now if you know what you are doing then disregard my ranting and find what you want. This time of the year thru January will be a buyer's market. Keep looking and you will find what you want.
Posted By: Texasdeepv

Re: looking for my first bass boat - HELP - 10/27/16 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: getbent956
Don't settle and keep looking.

ding ding ding.... winner!!!! This is exactly right.

The money that can be spent on boats today you just cant settle. Don't jump into anything where you may end up saying, "i wish i would have etc etc". Take your time. There will be one out there for you.

good luck!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum