Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter tilt steering replacement

Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/24/16 03:57 PM

Does anyone know of a place around DFW for Tyler Texas that has these? I know its a teleflex tilt steering system but I cannot find any part numbers for my boat and they have a ton of different options online.
Posted By: Kristopher Douglas.

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/24/16 05:26 PM

Any reputable boat shop will bee able to handle this. I think a new tilt helm is around $600 plus labor.

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/24/16 05:38 PM

Ya thats got to be wrong. Its just the tilt steering adjustment They are all 120-200$ but dont have much info on them. If that little thing is 600$ then im just gonna have a loose steering wheel lol

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/24/16 05:41 PM

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/seastar-b...CFQYJaQodOVYC0Q
Like this one... My steering wheel moves freely from the top position down to lowest position because the teeth broke
Posted By: SK1

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/24/16 06:53 PM

I know you can buy the helm/pump assembly and if I recall its about $350.00 if you install it yourself. Not that hard to do,I had the same issue with mine and ended up just replacing it with a non tilt helm that works fine. Go to Seastars website and you should see one there.
Posted By: Tony Maynard

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/25/16 03:32 AM

Jake, I will look tomorrow after I get off work and see if I have one I went to hyd steering on a 202zx and pulled a cable unit off with tilt. If I have it you can meet me and have it. Message me your number and I will let you know tomorrow evening.
Posted By: captainbob

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/25/16 04:16 PM

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/seastar-sh91800p-sport-tilt-mechanism-for-mechanical-helm.html

Here it is. Mine did the same thing. 98 bucks

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/25/16 05:11 PM

I believe he has hydraulic steering right Jake?

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/25/16 05:54 PM

I was under the impression you couldn't replace the tilt on a hydraulic helm. If you can cool deal.

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/25/16 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SK1
I believe he has hydraulic steering right Jake?

Correct. I believe the replacements I have been looking at were not for hydraulic steering. I has a misunderstanding on who the tilt system worked because all I could find online were so cheap. I would prefer to go to a rigid steering column that does not adjust. And plan on installing myself.

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/25/16 07:14 PM

Bleeding the hydraulic system right is a pain in the butt. They have a machine that does it. As important as steering is I would leave it up to the pros.

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/25/16 07:59 PM

man this sounds like allot more money and work than I anticipated. Wonder if there is a way to maybe weld the joint were it pivots so it does not move. I have bigger and better things to worry about to get my boat tournament ready for 2017 than spending 600-800$ on this issue that really is more of an inconvenience to me while driving for the moment

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/25/16 08:10 PM

Call service marine in Emory. Probably gonna be your best bet.

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/25/16 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Toadrustler
Call service marine in Emory. Probably gonna be your best bet.

Thanks Toadrustler. I'm gonna talk to a local guy by cedar creek about it this week and see what he says.
Posted By: ShawnT

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/25/16 08:43 PM

Make a splint. You know, put a couple sticks on each side and ducktape the hell out of it. Might work.

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/25/16 08:59 PM

The helm is easy to mount, only 4 bolts attach it to your dash and 2 lines. 1 in and 1 out. Really easy. Seastar Teleflex and Amazon is your ticket. Search hydraulic steering helms. West marine may have one in stock at their stores in Dallas, call them. I really believe you can come out of this without to much pain as long as you do your homework. Fix it right the first time and be done with it. Bleeding the system is not hard if you know what you're doing.
Posted By: captainbob

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/28/16 04:50 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teleflex-Boat-Tilt-Steering-Helm-9102717-/222199114840

Will this work?

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/28/16 08:22 PM

thats it! just took it off today and it looks just like
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/29/16 09:22 PM

SSsmith has the tilt mechanisms. Cheap.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Skeeter tilt steering replacement - 10/29/16 09:35 PM

Land and Sea sales them. You can replace just the tilt mechanism. PM me if you have any issues finding one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum