Texas Fishing Forum

Ardent reels

Posted By: Sschofield

Ardent reels - 10/17/16 05:41 PM

How do Ardent reels compare to Shimano reels? Like the apex elite and the citica? And others
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: Ardent reels - 10/17/16 05:49 PM

I do like Ardent better. They seem to last longer also. They both will throw a mile
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Ardent reels - 10/17/16 05:51 PM

Last longer? I'm 48 and still have my first Shimano reel that I bought when I was 11-and it still works like a champ.

Re: Ardent reels - 10/17/16 06:23 PM

Which would be better for flipping
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Ardent reels - 10/17/16 06:38 PM

Shimano reels could kick ardent down the street with 2 broken legs....
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Ardent reels - 10/17/16 07:03 PM

I have both and do like the Shimano better overall. I don't have an Elite but I do have the Apex Grand which is basically the same reel except they paint it white and has a carbon fiber handle. I will choose my Curado over the Grand. If I had to choose one reel out of my collection though it would be my Revo STX. Abu is my #1 preference in reels and is what I mainly use.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Ardent reels - 10/17/16 08:44 PM

I have used Ardent reels since the first ones the first ones had some problems but their customer service was second to none. I have 5 Elites and 2 Grands and have had no problems with any of them. I still have some of the made in the US reels and also use them with no problems. My Shimano and Diawas stay in the garage collecting dust haven't used them in about 3 or 4 years.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Ardent reels - 10/17/16 09:59 PM

I have a bunch of apex elite. For the money they are outstanding.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
Shimano reels could kick ardent down the street with 2 broken legs....

Ya IMO nothing will out last the 200e series curados or chonarchs. But man I have sold most of mine for lews and can't be happier

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 03:06 AM

Thanks everyone for the good info!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 12:21 PM

Ardent vs Shimano? Really? It's like Kia vs Bentley. Not even close.

Give me the entry level Shimano stuff way before the Ardent with the carbon fiber paint over cast aluminum. Haha. They even LOOK junky.
Posted By: BB675

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Give me the entry level Shimano stuff way before the Ardent with the carbon fiber paint over cast aluminum. Haha. They even LOOK junky.

Have you ever used one? Ardent makes a great reel.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 02:08 PM

I am not as concerned with looks as I am performance and I will take my Ardents over my other ones any day. I still am using some of the Ardent Edge reels and have never had a problem.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 04:18 PM

I own shimano, ardent, diawa lews and abu

Aredent is the wost of the lot by a ways.

I will NEVER pay for an ardent again. Falls apart, doesnt hold up to wear and tear. Overall cheap design and overprised to boot.

That said my tatula-r suffers from simillar issues. Cheap reel body and grinds like a SOB when you cadt, i even returned the first one i had for another... same issue right out of the box on the 2nd.

Shimano is better, but i still think they have cheapened them up since the E series. They were the best ever made. Look them up on ebay, still selling at or above retail.

Lews is ok... i had a bearing go out about 18 months in, easy fix running great now.

I have NEVER had an issue with a revo... never had them need anything but cleaning. They are getting to be what im moving toward since e series curados are so hard to find...

Ppl will ford chevy you to death. I dont care about brand i care about lifespan and smoothness. My best overall luck has been with old e-series shamono, 2nd best with revo, lews, diawa, then ardent...

Get what you like but on the market right now, i would buy revo
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 04:21 PM

I'm surprised they're still in business

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BB675
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Have you ever used one? Ardent makes a great reel.

Yes... and no... they dont

I dont have any $300+ reels so i cant talk about steeze, or metaniums or the high high end ardents but i HAVE used them and they wont get another red cent from me
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 06:10 PM

Hahaha. Lots of opinions here. Just try both and go with the one you like. I've had some of both brands that didnt seem to work quite right. It happens. I don't call any of the products junk though.
Posted By: lodell23

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 07:12 PM

Definitely shimano
Posted By: jamesmc454

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 07:23 PM

You will get a lot of mixed reviews on Ardent. mostly because they have over 800 pep's on the pro staff and they keep on adding more.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: jamesmc454
You will get a lot of mixed reviews on Ardent. mostly because they have over 800 pep's on the pro staff and they keep on adding more.

So true. If you ask to be on their pro staff I dont think they will say no.

My personal opinion on the matter is I don't like the Ardents and im not a fan. Ive played with/casted a few and was unimpressed. My friends have had a few and they have had nothing but issues with them. My main reason for not liking them though is the fact they are made in China and their build quality reflects that. Ive cleaned and serviced a lot of different brands of reels and Ardent/Quantum rank at the bottom of my list with build quality and the quality of the components used. Its made in China for a reason.... and its not because China is known for quality....
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Ardent reels - 10/18/16 08:29 PM

The upper end Ardent Edge used to be made in America. Since they stopped the Edge line and went to Apex line I don't think any of them are built here anymore. I haven't had any issues with my Ardent's but out of the reels I have my Revo's are my favorite.
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: Ardent reels - 10/19/16 12:51 AM

I just recently bought a couple Ardent reels and have only used a few times but I am very happy so far.
Posted By: senko 10lb

Re: Ardent reels - 10/19/16 01:22 AM

Pick up a shimano metanium 13 and ardent who !

Re: Ardent reels - 10/19/16 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: senko 10lb
Pick up a shimano metanium 13 and ardent who !

Still 300+ and over 200 used still...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum