Texas Fishing Forum

Noco genius at fork???

Posted By: rscustomrods

Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 12:23 AM

So my minnkota charger decided tonight of all nights it would take a dump. I want to replace it with a noco genius gen 4 four bank charger. Does anyone know if anyone carries noco near lake fork? I am here for the Berkeley. Thanks for your time,

Rich

Ps yes I have search d the internet for a local dealer and come up empty
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 12:34 AM

http://www.ets-systems.com/lakefork/fork.htm

Maybe some of these numbers may get you a lead,..
Posted By: Kristopher Douglas.

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 01:25 AM

I have been nothing but pleased with my noco chargers.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 01:34 AM

Did you try the WalMart? They show online to have them in stock and the one in Sulphur Springs is a 24 Hr supercenter.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 01:41 AM

you probably won't get one tonight. They are hard to find..
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 01:42 AM

Basscat should have a couple piles of junk NOCO chargers. I personally have seen a 50% failure rate of the 4banks. Richard at Basscat said the 3banks have been good but they are no longer using the 4banks. My 2017 was the last boat with a noco and it has cooked my battieries. I'm replacing next Tuesday with a MinnKota. Just my 2cents for what it's worth.

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 02:07 AM

I have 2 two banks for 4 years now and love them. I can't say anything about the 4 bank.
Posted By: T.Cat

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 04:17 AM

Also had a 3 bank fry all the batteries on my 2016 cat.

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 09:02 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Chargers fail regardless of brand. Obviously my minnkota just did. I will have to consider the two two bank option. For the walmart poster, they show it in stock for online sales but you,hav no way to know what the stores have.

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 09:09 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Chargers fail regardless of brand. Obviously my minnkota just did. I will have to consider the two two bank option. For the walmart poster, they show it in stock for online sales but you,hav no way to know what the stores have.
Posted By: Kevin Sharp

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 09:13 PM

I have some in stock here at lake fork tackle.
Posted By: LOSTTEXAN

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/15/16 10:23 PM

Been playing this game a long time with multiple boats at a time and this is what I've learned FWIW;

Heat kills electrical devices.

More banks equals more heat concentrated in one spot.

I use a single bank and a 2 bank in my 3 battery boats, and two 2 banks in my 4 battery boats.
These setups cost no more than 3 and 4 bank chargers.

If you do happen to lose a bank, I'd rather toss a 1 or 2 bank in the trash than a 3 or 4.
If it's a repairable Dual Pro, I'd rather wrestle a 1 or 2 bank out and back in the bilge than a 3 or 4 bank, and pay less to ship it, not to mention I still have a charger in the boat that will allow me to make do until I repair or replace the bad one.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/16/16 12:32 AM

I've had a minn kota go out ,was replaced with a motor guide and now it's quit New boat bought in 2015 can't decide to try the Noco or just go back to using manual chargers Went through 2 on my last boat before I just went to the manuals Believe it or not I got 6 years on my tm batteries on my last boat

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/16/16 12:59 AM

Lost Texan , you are on to something. Kevin, I will see you tomorrow. For anyone with the minnkota mk460, for some reason they felt the need to put inline fuses on each lead going to the batteries. I have owned every brand including noco over the years and do not recall seeing an inline fuse on any of them. Anyways, the fuse housing melted on several. I ended up removing all of the inline fuses and wiring them without them. Now the charger works with no issues and the wires do not get hot or melt.

It will get me through the weekend but I am switching to noco. .
Posted By: ZX-250

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/16/16 11:00 AM

So for those that have 4 batteries and are running 2- 2 bank noco's, are you using the 8 amp or 20 amp?

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/18/16 01:57 PM

I am using the 2 bank 20amp which is 10 per bank and it gets the job done .
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/18/16 03:11 PM

I've used most the brands mentioned but these are hands down the best...

http://www.dualpro.com/
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/18/16 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: LOSTTEXAN

Been playing this game a long time with multiple boats at a time and this is what I've learned FWIW;

Heat kills electrical devices.

More banks equals more heat concentrated in one spot.

I use a single bank and a 2 bank in my 3 battery boats, and two 2 banks in my 4 battery boats.
These setups cost no more than 3 and 4 bank chargers.

If you do happen to lose a bank, I'd rather toss a 1 or 2 bank in the trash than a 3 or 4.
If it's a repairable Dual Pro, I'd rather wrestle a 1 or 2 bank out and back in the bilge than a 3 or 4 bank, and pay less to ship it, not to mention I still have a charger in the boat that will allow me to make do until I repair or replace the bad one.

this ^^^^
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/18/16 06:06 PM

I've had a dual pro sportsman 4 bank since August 2003, no problems. Go figure..
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Noco genius at fork??? - 10/18/16 09:01 PM

LOSTTEXAN has a very valid point that probably is the reason so many chargers or all brands fail. And that is WHERE the charger is mounted. Battery chargers create heat. They are designed with heat releasing heat sink vanes to move this heat from the interior to exterior of the charger. BUT if they mounted in a position where no air flow can remove the heat from the vanes it works its way back into the charger and starts overheating the elements. The failure is in the microcircuits of the charger. The SMART part of it. I have had a Minn-Kota 315 in my 1995 Astro (second boat) for almost 7 yrs. It is faded, paint has chipped, but it still works great. It is mounted flat with nothing 360 deg. around it.

By the same token I replaced 3 (2-BPS 2/20 and 1 Excel 2/15) in my 2010 Z-8 the first 2-yrs. I owned it. All were mounted in very hard to get to spaces with little or no airflow. My Z-9 has the 3/30 mounted flat on the floor in a relatively open areas. We will see how long it lasts.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum