Texas Fishing Forum

Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise....

Posted By: Tyler.Woods

Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/12/16 03:09 PM

Does it in the water or out of it and the noise is near the prop or in the motor. Took prop off and no fishing line. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tyler Woods
Posted By: Bvon

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/12/16 03:32 PM

Ck the bolts behind the prop that make everything stay together and waterproof. Mine backed out and let water get to the motor.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/12/16 03:54 PM

Sound like water got in the motor...
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/12/16 05:55 PM

Tyler with the prop off run the motor, does that shaft look like its spinning true, or dies it have a wobble?
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/12/16 06:04 PM

Look to see if there is corrosion on the shaft near the washer that protects the seal on the shaft. If it looks like there is corrosion there, take a scrub pad (I wouldn't use sandpaper) and turn the motor on low and let the scrub pad remove the corrosion. At least that is what I found to be my problem.
Posted By: Pro Line Trolling Motors

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/12/16 06:37 PM

I agree with KenTx1962 and what everyone has said above especially checking the shaft on the armature for a wobble. Sometimes even a brand new prop, armature and seals will squeak pretty loud. A little grease on it could be the answer. Make sure the squeaking isnt't inside the lower unit as it could be water or magnet problems like OzzieFish said.
Posted By: Jigman

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/12/16 08:51 PM

Start saving your money !
Posted By: Gilbert M.

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/12/16 10:05 PM

Tyler, I have a brand new one for sale if you need it. Also I know the best trolling motor repair guy I can get you his info.
Posted By: Gilbert M.

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/12/16 10:06 PM

Tyler, I have a brand new one for sale if you need it. Also I know the best trolling motor repair guy I can get you his info.
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/13/16 01:24 AM

call John Jones, he will let you know what's wrong. I send all mine to him for repairs. There is no tax since he is in Texarkana Arkansas.
http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com/
Posted By: Tyler.Woods

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/18/16 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: KenTx1962
Tyler with the prop off run the motor, does that shaft look like its spinning true, or dies it have a wobble?

It did not have a wobble from what I could see. The bolts were tight in there too. Not sure what it is. I put a new prop on and it still made the noise. Must be inside the lower unit of the motor....
Posted By: Walker_wilson13

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/18/16 04:32 PM

The problem is it's not a Minn Kota roflmao
Posted By: TexasPescado

Re: Motorguide Trolling motor making LOUD squealing noise.... - 10/18/16 05:39 PM

I had a similar problem, but mine was more of a grinding noise. Turned out to be a broken magnet on the armature housing. Ordered all the parts to completely rebuild the lower unit off MinnKota's website for less than $150 (including a new armature). It was an easy fix too, took less than an hour.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum