Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for opinions for a new rod

Posted By: Mofishin1990

Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/03/16 02:31 PM

Been looking to get another rod. looking at the G Loomis E6x series and realy like them. I like the Dobyns fury rods too and they are almost $100 cheaper than the loomis rods. What do yall think?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/03/16 02:34 PM

Hard to go wrong with a Loomis
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/03/16 02:38 PM

I have a few of the dobyns fury rods so ill comment on them, for the money these make one heck of a rod. I really like how balanced they are, that is what surprised me the most. The sensitivity is great and i wont hesitate to buy more in the future, they are however limited in the how many types they offer. Being the dobyns intro rod they dont have as many models as their top rods. Hard to be a $100 rod like that

I have not owned a GLoomis, but the reputation of their rods is top tier
Posted By: Mofishin1990

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/03/16 02:41 PM

That's what I hear, and $200 for a loomis is great imo.
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/03/16 02:52 PM

I bought the Dobyns Fury 7'3 Heavy for jigs and the tip has too much give. It has good backbone but feels more like a MH. I switched to using it as a buzzbait rod and that works great. Just thought I would throw that info out there. If you looking for a good jig rod and heavy action for fishing thick cover I would go extra heavy.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/03/16 03:52 PM

Go look at McCain rods. They are great rods. Company started by the man that started All Star and Tommy Martin.
The premium series and Tommy Martin series are outstanding rods and don't cost an arm an a leg.
Not made in China either!
Posted By: Mulkey

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/03/16 04:32 PM

Halo rods. IMO
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/03/16 05:02 PM

G. Loomis E6X

The E6X rods are fantastic rods! I have a couple and for the price, they couldn't be better. They're very well balanced, super sensitive, and they aren't too heavy. I also noticed how they're true to their actions and powers. If you buy a Medium-heavy/fast rod, you're gonna get that. Great rods and I'm sure you'll be happy with them.
Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/03/16 06:20 PM

I know you didn't mention these, but TFO is a great option as well. They have lots of options on lengths weights etc. From light weight drop shot/shakey head rods to their extra heavy rods, they are all nice!
Posted By: 21elite

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/04/16 12:03 AM

Be sure and look at Power Tackle's new line of rods!!!
Posted By: LukeAnderson

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/04/16 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
G. Loomis E6X

The E6X rods are fantastic rods! I have a couple and for the price, they couldn't be better. They're very well balanced, super sensitive, and they aren't too heavy. I also noticed how they're true to their actions and powers. If you buy a Medium-heavy/fast rod, you're gonna get that. Great rods and I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

^ This. I own one. It's my go to besides my kistlers. Caught a tank out of Lewisville and held up a fight and dragged in a 40 pound flat head catfish one time while I was bumping a jig. Dang good rod. I'd say buy that.
Posted By: KHumpert

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/04/16 03:33 PM

Take a look at G-Rods. I have started making the swap to them. They are extremely light, extremely sensitive, and very strong. The Pro-Bass series range from $350-$390, but Glenn is releasing the new game changer series very soon which utilize the same blank as the Pro Bass, but just lower end guides. The game changer series will retail from $190 to $250. The blanks are the first of there kind to utilize a Graphene/Toray carbon fiber blend. The Pro Bass have Fuji titanium guides and a Fuji ACSM Dura Touch reel seat. I'm not exactly sure which components the Game Changer series will have however. You can call G Rods and talk to the owner Glenn Miller, and he can answer any questions. I suggest going to somewhere like Lake Pro Tackle in Gainsville, Tx and put the G-rods in your hand along side with the Loomis and then make a decision. You can also book a trip with Mark Pack on Fork and try them out as those are the rods he uses. I have been very impressed with them and will continue adding them to my arsenal. They are worth checking out.

http://g-rods.com/collections/bass

http://tackletour.com/reviewicast16grods.html

just my $0.02
Posted By: basshunter2000

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/04/16 04:39 PM

lower end option here, but I recently bought a 6'6" med light gander mountain spinning rod, I havent caught a fish on it yet but I'm already liking it, super lightweight nice fasthma action, 40 bucks and comes with a 1 year warranty
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/04/16 04:42 PM

Look into the power tackle Keith Combs series very good rods and made here in Texas.
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/04/16 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: KHumpert
Take a look at G-Rods. I have started making the swap to them. They are extremely light, extremely sensitive, and very strong. The Pro-Bass series range from $350-$390, but Glenn is releasing the new game changer series very soon which utilize the same blank as the Pro Bass, but just lower end guides. The game changer series will retail from $190 to $250. The blanks are the first of there kind to utilize a Graphene/Toray carbon fiber blend. The Pro Bass have Fuji titanium guides and a Fuji ACSM Dura Touch reel seat. I'm not exactly sure which components the Game Changer series will have however. You can call G Rods and talk to the owner Glenn Miller, and he can answer any questions. I suggest going to somewhere like Lake Pro Tackle in Gainsville, Tx and put the G-rods in your hand along side with the Loomis and then make a decision. You can also book a trip with Mark Pack on Fork and try them out as those are the rods he uses. I have been very impressed with them and will continue adding them to my arsenal. They are worth checking out.

http://g-rods.com/collections/bass

http://tackletour.com/reviewicast16grods.html

just my $0.02

What he said!!! thumb thumb I replaced every GLoomis I had with G-Rods. There is simply no other rod on the market that compares to these in my opinion. Definitely check this option out!
Posted By: OutdoorArts

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/04/16 06:10 PM

Gloomis , Dobyns are great rods. Have not tried grods yet
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/04/16 07:30 PM

Unless you are looking only at a new rod I would decide on what you want and start checking the ebay or swap/sell boards - lots of really good deals to be found and it soon will be the season that pro staff are selling off for new stuff.

To me the best value in g.Loomis is the IMX series; proven construction, high sensitivity and reasonable priced especially second hand.
Posted By: 89javelin100

Re: Looking for opinions for a new rod - 10/04/16 08:26 PM

power tackle for sure
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum