Texas Fishing Forum

having reel issues

Posted By: basshunter2000

having reel issues - 09/29/16 06:05 PM

I have a kastking royale baitcaster spooled with 50lbs spyderwire, on a 7 ft medium action gander mountain tourney rod, I had 30 lbs spooled on but it seemed like the line was digging into itself and would snag mid cast so I switched to 50 lbs and tied on a 30 ft 10lbs mono leader now it seems to be snagging on the knot where I tied my leader on, also the rod is rated 1/4 -3/4 oz lures but anything under a 1/2 oz really seems to snag and backlash, my reel has two brake systems and im unsure as to what to do and try, I want to get a lews reel but not until I can figure out what the heck I am doing wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated, would be overjoyed if I could find someone who were more used to baitcasters to help me in person but online advice is good also, thanks in advance
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 06:27 PM

Never heard of that brand.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 06:31 PM

Could be the reel.... Do you turn your reel sideways when casting? It helps Sometimes the action of the rod can whip the bait out, and cause "pro overthrows".
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 06:32 PM

kastking

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
Could be the reel.... Do you turn your reel sideways when casting? It helps Sometimes the action of the rod can whip the bait out, and cause "pro overthrows".

when I'm in my kayak it is overhand due to being in a sit in I'm very low to the water, but on the bank I do turn it sideways every now and then but that doesn't seem to help, and my rod doesn't have a super fast tip on it and at first I thought I just wasn't doing a good follow through but again no luck
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 07:09 PM

try switching to flourocarbon. Braid is notorious for digging into the spool on hangups and hooksets.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 07:12 PM

Could be the reel, possibly could need more adjusting, did you spool the line on nice and tight? Do you know of any avid anglers around you that can cast it and make adjustments?

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano™
try switching to flourocarbon. Braid is notorious for digging into the spool on hangups and hooksets.

I have braid on due to I felt it would be more versatile, the only reason I put a leader on was because I was worried the fish could see the 50lbs braid, I suppose I could put fluorocarbon on and use my med light spinning combo for my plastics and topwater, I just feel with the baitcaster it is much easier to take up the slack for walking baits

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
Could be the reel, possibly could need more adjusting, did you spool the line on nice and tight? Do you know of any avid anglers around you that can cast it and make adjustments?

put it on as tight as I could with mono backing, what is a good technique? and unfortunately I do not know many anglers, I have been trying to network with people but so far no luck
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 08:36 PM

Braid has a bad habit of backlashing and digging into itself. Part to the deal when fishing braid
Posted By: 04champ

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 08:41 PM

braid sucks, lose it

sounds like you're a relatively new angler, go with 15lb big game... its versatile and easy to cast.

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
braid sucks, lose it

sounds like you're a relatively new angler, go with 15lb big game... its versatile and easy to cast.

not really a new angler, just new to baitcasters, I just really lover the sensitivity you get with braid
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 09:29 PM

when spooling braid onto the reel put 10-20 yards of mono backing on the spool first then tie the braid to that with your favorite line splice knot. otherwise your braid may 'slip' on the spool when you have it under load.

also sounds like you need to adjust your brakes. a good starting point - set the dial opposite the reel handle at or near the max setting. then adjust the knob brake on the same side as your reel handle to where your bait will fall slowly when holding the rod level and you have released the spool. If your problems go away or decrease significantly, you can start to tune it more aggressively as you get the feel for it.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 09:40 PM

I have that reel (three of them)--they are cheap, but perform well with a little tune up.

You are new to baitcasters and are using 50lb braid on a cheap reel--not surprised you are having issues.

1st thing I'd do is remove the spool and rub the inside and outside of the housing and the line guide with some reel oil and a clean cloth.
Remove the tension knob and add a drop or two of oil in there and screw the tension knob back on.

The spool and the handle with the kast kings out of the box can be a bit wobbly. Tighten the handle nut with a socket or wrench.

If you are comfortable doing so, you could take apart the reel completely and clean it, oil all the bearings, and grease the gears. If you are not comfortable doing this, don't--you could make things worse.

Spool on 2/5 of the reel with 10lb mono backing before putting on the braid. When you connect the braid to the mono, make sure the connection knot ends up in the middle of the spool (it will spin on a more centered axis). The thin diameter braids like power pro superslick do cast better. Turning the reel as you cast will make the line come off the spool easier.

Setting the brakes and spool tension knob and using your thumb to feather the line as you cast it.
The more experience you have with baitcasters, the fewer problems you will have.

Once you learn to cast a Kast King reel with braid on it, you will have solid technique.

If you continue to be frustrated, get a better reel. Affordable step up options from the KastKings include the Daiwa Aird and the Pflueger Supreme. Both of these cast much easier.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 09:52 PM

Floro is a no go with top water...sounds to be like u just got an excuse to go shopping for a new setup cheers
Posted By: CCTX

Re: having reel issues - 09/29/16 10:10 PM

Oh, if it's snagging where you tied your leader knot, make your leader short enough so that you aren't reeling the leader knot into the spool--will make casting easier. 50lb braid + 10lb mono connection knot can be quite bulky---I'd knock down that leader from 30ft to 6ft.

Re: having reel issues - 09/30/16 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Oh, if it's snagging where you tied your leader knot, make your leader short enough so that you aren't reeling the leader knot into the spool--will make casting easier. 50lb braid + 10lb mono connection knot can be quite bulky---I'd knock down that leader from 30ft to 6ft.

is 6ft long enough for a leader? I have never used a leader before besides a steel clip on for gar, I'm new to using leaders for bass and was unsure of the length

Re: having reel issues - 09/30/16 12:51 PM

Try an Alberto knot for the braid to leader knot. 6 foot is plenty long, I would try two feet and go from there.

Re: having reel issues - 09/30/16 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
Try an Alberto knot for the braid to leader knot. 6 foot is plenty long, I would try two feet and go from there.

ok will do, what's the difference between tying on what they sell as a leader and just cutting some line off a spool and using that as a leader?

Re: having reel issues - 09/30/16 02:12 PM

What is sold as "leader material" like in 25 yard spools is better line. It is more abrasion resistant, supposedly better knot strength, and has less water absorption. I just take it off the spool, usually Invisx or Sniper for a leader, but I rarely, if ever, use a leader. Either straight flouro, mono or braid.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum