Texas Fishing Forum

What braided line is best for topwater?

Posted By: Dockskipper

What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/26/16 05:59 PM

I'm ready to give braid a shot with my topwater set up. What would you suggest? I have used power pro for years on my jig rod, and want to see if there is anything "new and improved" on the market.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/26/16 07:02 PM

I use Power Pro #65 on frogs and #30 on all other buzz baits and plugs thumb peep
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/26/16 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass&More
I use Power Pro #65 on frogs and #30 on all other buzz baits and plugs thumb peep

Same for me but I use SS8
Posted By: fouzman

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/26/16 07:11 PM

30# on walking baits. I use Suffix 832. These are bigger baits cast further and call for a mostly constant retrieve. Braid's no-stretch helps with hooksets on the end of long casts typical with these baits.

65# on Frogs.

I never use braid on poppers or prop baits. Braid's no-stretch is no good for close quarters combat and topwater lures with trebles on rods with super-fast tips. Pulls the bait away from the fish too quickly causing missed strikes. Braid floats so well it will get wrapped in the trebles and the props of these types of baits. No bueno. I only use mono on these baits.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/26/16 08:11 PM

I use mono on just about everything topwater that has treble hooks...walking, popping, whopper ploppers, etc. I've lost too many fish that have either bent the hooks or had the hook come out from the lack of stretch with braid.

For frogs, I use either Power Pro or Sunline FX2
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/26/16 08:59 PM

Stren Braid and Stren Mono. If there is light wind braid will give you problems if there are bushes around. I fish heavy cover so it is short cast for me all the time where Stren Mono in 25# has served me well for my Custom Spook.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/26/16 09:26 PM

Power Pro Super Slick 30#-65# depending on what you are doing. I always tie a mono 15-30# leader with a blood knot on baits with treble hooks, for the stretch and not fouling up factor.

A parabolic action is crucial with your rods when throwing braid.
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/26/16 10:15 PM

I am still a Big Game Green fanatic when it comes to topwater anything. Where you are and what type of lure you are using determines whether it is 15,20, or 30 pound. My old pappy told me "Son if ain't broke why try to fix it"---Been using that philosophy for years.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/26/16 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
30# on walking baits. I use Suffix 832. These are bigger baits cast further and call for a mostly constant retrieve. Braid's no-stretch helps with hooksets on the end of long casts typical with these baits.

65# on Frogs.

I never use braid on poppers or prop baits. Braid's no-stretch is no good for close quarters combat and topwater lures with trebles on rods with super-fast tips. Pulls the bait away from the fish too quickly causing missed strikes. Braid floats so well it will get wrapped in the trebles and the props of these types of baits. No bueno. I only use mono on these baits.

This..stick to mono. Except for frogs.
Posted By: northdallasfisherman

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/27/16 03:46 AM

Braid only for frogs. Mono or co polymer for topwaters
Posted By: basshunter2000

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/27/16 02:48 PM

not to thread jack but will thicker braid mess with walking topwater baits?
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/27/16 02:59 PM

Thicker braid would negate the point of using braid. If your going to use 65 or 80lb test to throw a 1/4oz popper then you are doing yourself a disservice by not just using copolymer or mono
Posted By: 96speed

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/27/16 03:19 PM

I like straight braid for frogs but have had some problems throwing braid on walking baits with treble hooks--braid wraps around and the hook gets tangled up and sometimes penetrate through the braid. Not only is it a pain to untangle but you have to cut and tie again because the line is knicked when that happens. Don't find out the hard way. Have to either use mono or throw on a leader.
Posted By: JamesW

Re: What braided line is best for topwater? - 09/27/16 04:00 PM

Another vote for pp.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum