Texas Fishing Forum

Alan henry or oh ivie

Posted By: STEVE B

Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/20/16 02:44 PM

Looking to make a trip in the next couple weeks . Any numbers coming out of these lakes lately? Not all that worried about size since im taking my son ,just hoping for a some bites.. thanks for any info
Posted By: tbates

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/20/16 03:46 PM

Haven't been to Ivie but, went to AH this past Friday. Great on numbers but size was lacking. We hammered them in the shallow cuts until noon. Didn't try anything deep as my friend from Alaska was with me and I just wanted him on some fish.

He is accustomed to ice fishing so he wanted to anchor, throw out a fizzy bait ball thing and bait some shrimp on a hook. He caught a few on a wacky 3" senko, but I still think he would rather be sitting on a bucket...weirdo...

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/20/16 05:20 PM

Numbers are the game when i take my son anyway, i think he would rather catch 20 10 inch fish than 1 10 pounder.. thanks for the info.

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/20/16 05:22 PM

Sitting on a bucket ice fishing does not sound fun to me , btw.
Posted By: I-Outdoors

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/20/16 09:32 PM

I'm fairly new to bass fishing and going to alan henry this Saturday see if you could tell me what you mean by shallow cuts ?
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/21/16 04:45 AM

I'd have liked to have been sitting on a bucket of ice,,,,,fishing, this past summer. LOL.
Good luck & keep on teaching them younguns how to fish.
Posted By: tbates

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/21/16 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: WORMSKIPPER
I'm fairly new to bass fishing and going to alan henry this Saturday see if you could tell me what you mean by shallow cuts ?

Cuts...draws...like where the rain has cut a washout over time for the water to drain into. Where the bank looks like the spot in between you fingers...opposite of a point, or finger.
Posted By: I-Outdoors

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/21/16 06:16 PM

Sure appreciate it
Posted By: hanson3708

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/21/16 07:52 PM

If you want #s ,think about spence. Put in at wildcat, go out to the main river chanel. Fish the points along the chanel, fish have been stacked out there.

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/21/16 08:12 PM

I need to get over there. My cousin lives there too.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/21/16 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: hanson3708
If you want #s ,think about spence. Put in at wildcat, go out to the main river chanel. Fish the points along the chanel, fish have been stacked out there.

SO WEIRD TO HEAR A SPENCE REPORT! good, but weird...

I'm ready for a little cooler weather and an ivie trip
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/21/16 08:31 PM

On Friday night Working Man's T, each boat caught about 10 per boat. No overs,, but lots of 16-17" fish were caught. Swim jigs won it, topwater, a number of berkley power baits soft plastics, deep diving CBs, etc.. Basically, hit them in the head in shallow water. You can go read my report on the Freshwater Fishing Reports here on TFF. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

OH, this was on AH.
Posted By: Bassin Fever

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/21/16 08:52 PM

If you are not wanting a big fish and wanting numbers only you might be interested in going to lake Champion south of Colrado City. The state stocked it last year again after the fish die off from golden algae. Wife and I have been caching 40 to 50 a day on water melon red finesse worms with a light hook and small sinker. I have caught a few over fourteen but most are from six inches to ten and twelve inches. Start fishing the coves right at the ramp. Slow and easy. Then find similar shallow coves and they are there.
I wouldn't be telling anyone this except I love seeing young kids catch fish.
The ramp is very shallow due to crazy city not consulting any boat people in building it and you have to back way out in the water to launch. I have put my Skeeter in several times but have those slick boat bunks to make it slide off. Wife and I have been fishing out of our kayaks lately. The ramp is the one straight north of the old store and the road leading down to it is almost hid.
If you want pm me on here and I can give you more specifics.
I've heard Spence has lots of numbers also as you read.
Posted By: hanson3708

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/21/16 09:17 PM

I really shouldn't, tell this but I'm a nice guy. 2 weeks ago I sat on one point caught over 40 fish ,all were 3 to 4 lbs. It would be nice to see spence come back up.

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/21/16 11:20 PM

Good to know about champion i used to fish it alot . Im thinking about getting both of us kayaks and trying that out. My boss has 3 and he said i could borrow them and see if i liked the whole kayak thing before spending alot of money . The boat ramps worry me a little at champion and spence but with a kayak that doesnt matter..

Re: Alan henry or oh ivie - 09/22/16 01:08 AM

Good to know about spence as well.. i need to just buy me a couple of kayaks so the boy and i can open up some angling opportunities. Really want to use some before i invest tho.. with all this low water lately out west a kayak is a pretty good choice.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum