Texas Fishing Forum

When is the main black bass spawn North Texas?

Posted By: SheldonS

When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/17/16 12:30 PM

Let's say within 100 miles or so radius of Dallas? May 15 to around June 15? I mainly fish for crappie and that time frame seems to be the most active with it starting as early as April and going until the end of June.

Just curious what time frame the black bass spawn would be most active within 100 miles or so of Dallas based on your experience.

Thanks!
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/17/16 12:49 PM

I've seen them on beds the end of January and the first of June. I have always heard it's as soon as the water temp reaches 60* but found that to not always be true. When it's time, it's time.
thumb
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/17/16 12:49 PM

Full Moon in April. Rule of Thumb
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/17/16 12:51 PM

April to mid may
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/17/16 01:16 PM

Many factors are involved here on when the spawn takes place on each lake in Texas.
- Depth of the lake.
- Winter weather conditions.
- Water levels are a big factor. Past two years with high water the spawn has been scattered. The spawn was very hard to pattern.
- Number of warm sunny days in a row any month from Feb. through April will make a huge difference in finding them.
- Cold fronts shut them down and slows the action.

Ideal situations for me are: 3 very warm sunny days in a row. - Lower water levels - Good clear water. - Lots of shallow flats to pick from away from the main lake.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/17/16 01:33 PM

When the dog woods bud... Its on.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/17/16 02:32 PM

March-April
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/17/16 02:41 PM

Stageing starts in feb.
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/19/16 10:49 AM

Bluebonnets! When you see them it's on!!!
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/19/16 11:59 AM

Staging starts in February. Spawning in March-April pending water temps and fronts. May = frogs and buzz baits time banana peep
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/19/16 12:32 PM

I have been logging my trips since 82-83 and the most common time to see them is last two weeks of March and the first two weeks of April On Lake Fork. At this time they will be locked on.

I have seen Natives hit the beds at 55-58 degree water temp, but the Florida strain seems to lock in better at 60-65 degree water temp. IMO While looking for customers on Lake Fork I see way more bigger fish in April than I ever have in March.

In saying that Mr Harper has is right also lots of factors come into play.Size of the lake makes a big difference also. The latest I have ever caught them on the beds paired up was mid June.
Posted By: barryfish

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/19/16 04:20 PM

When mocking birds are outside your window at 4am constantly chirping then its on too lol
Posted By: Rog

Re: When is the main black bass spawn North Texas? - 09/19/16 04:53 PM

If your looking to come May15-June 15 the shad spawn should be occurring during that period and there will still be some bedding fish. This time has been best for numbers of big fish in early mornings on top waters, cranks, swim baits etc. around spawning shad. probably best time for numbers of size. If the lake/area has thick grass they can start in Jan/Feb if a mild winter I have caught numbers of bed fish then in some years. If you are looking for big fish fish the moon around then end of Feb and early March and go for stagging fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum