Texas Fishing Forum

A tip for high schoolers looking for captains

Posted By: Thecrankster

A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 09:51 AM

Offer to wash and wax your captains boat and tow vehicle...Make them some Jigs or Spinner baits (learn to make them)...Offer something besides I need a ride....My son was ready to WORK to make $200 and wash wax their boat but he found a partner who has a boat now just wash b and wax boat..
I want every kid to get a ride...I think this will help alot of kids get out of there comfort zone and think creatively to come up with ways to get a captain It's only gonna get bigger...Harder you work luckier you'll get....
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 11:05 AM

let them know you will help with gas, any tackle you loose, know how to act in a boat(don't step on the seats). stuff like that goes a long ways.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 11:10 AM

And don't tell on the captain for dipping. No rap music in the boat either.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 12:30 PM

Dipping? You mean the captain can't dip in his own boat?
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Mudshark
No rap music in the boat either.

Out.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 01:02 PM

You twerk your going for swim kid or no kid lol
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 02:21 PM

I'm the coach/boat captain for a high school team.....all I require from the guys fishing in my boat....clean up any clutter in the boat....and say...."THANK YOU"...I won't accept money for gas..etc....but, that's just me...
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 02:28 PM

My guys usually spend the night at my house before the tourney. (Makes getting up and gone much easier) They spend the night before getting baits tied on, respooling rods. They will usually make sure that all the empty bottles and trash are out of the boat and that there is plenty of water and gatorade in the ice chest.
When we came back from Rayburn and the Bend, they stayed and helped wash the boat to get any Salvinia off. Other than that, they just help wipe it down when it comes out of the water.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 02:38 PM

Don't smoke or chew and don't date girls who do grin
Posted By: barryfish

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 02:47 PM

Haha dougie ^
Posted By: C130

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 02:53 PM

I certainly think the parents or kids should help with gas money but just remember some may not be able to afford it. If that's the case for anyone wanting to boat captain for Magnolia High School I will do everything I possibly can to make sure they fish even if I have to pay for the gas myself. We have had one person volunteer and the parents immediately contacted the boat captain to let him know they'd pay for fuel and other expenses. It definitely should be done this way if they can possibly afford it at all and I understand if the boat captains can't afford it either, it's not cheap. I just don't want any kid to be left out if they can't afford it. We have some great kids, it seems like a lot of them have the same personalities. Pretty quite, shy, respectful, and like the outdoors.

By the way, I'm brand new to this so feel free to offer any advice or suggestions. We are starting from the ground up on our new fishing team and it's definitely a learning experience and lots of work.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 02:56 PM

Can't wait for Saturday. Praying my student has fun and wacks em.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 03:02 PM

Leave the cowboy boots at home.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 03:43 PM

Don't step on anyone's seats (that drives me nuts)

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 03:44 PM

If you have a "hot mom" or even grandma laugh (preferably single) she is required to attend the weigh in

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/13/16 11:44 PM

My son is learning to build custom rods so if he ever needs a ride...Custom rod,Boat Detail and $$$$ He should be set to never be without a ride
Posted By: Alex K.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/14/16 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer

Heard this as well and just read the THSBA rules. No tobacco of any kind.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/14/16 12:37 AM

The reason it says that in the rules, is like any other school function. Does it happen , I'm certain it probably does. Just as it does at football games etc..
Posted By: Kristopher Douglas.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/14/16 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Don't step on anyone's seats (that drives me nuts)
from my understanding Basscat seats are designed to be stepped on. I step on my seats all the time and they look fine.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/14/16 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: E5Zero
Leave the cowboy boots at home.

That aint no joke....
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/14/16 03:46 AM

Good post!
Posted By: Catching Air

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/14/16 04:16 PM

I don't understand how they come up with these rules for the captains. It might be a school associated function however you are not on any school grounds. They ask these captains to volunteer there time, some pay for all the gas, u have oil and maintence costs, and the added cost of carrying the extra liability insurance. We haven't even got into the travel expenses. Then to have them tell you while your watching the kids fish you can't consume any tobacco product. I think the schools as well as THSBA should pay your expenses unless you are captaining your kid's team.
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/14/16 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Catching Air
I don't understand how they come up with these rules for the captains. It might be a school associated function however you are not on any school grounds. They ask these captains to volunteer there time, some pay for all the gas, u have oil and maintence costs, and the added cost of carrying the extra liability insurance. We haven't even got into the travel expenses. Then to have them tell you while your watching the kids fish you can't consume any tobacco product. I think the schools as well as THSBA should pay your expenses unless you are captaining your kid's team.

I agree

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/14/16 10:36 PM

I don't see how the THSBA should have to pay for you to be a captain nor the school. It really isnt that big of a deal. I'm sure there are probably captains and kids that dip on the boats as well.
Originally Posted By: Catching Air

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/14/16 10:39 PM

The rules are basically copied from the Student Angler Federation in which all students are a member of. They are also covered through the SAF insurance policy for all events on and off the water.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/15/16 02:48 AM

THIS IS ABOUT THE KIDS LET'S NOT LOSE SIGHT OF THAT...IF YOU CAN'T STEP AWAY FROM THE DIP FOR 8 HRS THERE A PROBLEM...AGIAN IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS....

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/15/16 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Thecrankster
THIS IS ABOUT THE KIDS LET'S NOT LOSE SIGHT OF THAT...IF YOU CAN'T STEP AWAY FROM THE DIP FOR 8 HRS THERE A PROBLEM...AGIAN IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS....

Exactly. I also don't expect my boat and truck to be washed and waxed. A simple "thank you" is all I'd like but that's just my own personal opinion. I'm excited to do it and I'm doing it because I want to. The kids are really excited and can't wait. I'm just trying not to disappoint a couple of them because they don't have a boat captain yet.
Posted By: Cast

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/15/16 11:35 AM

If I had a boat I would love doing this.
Posted By: J Rankin

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/16/16 04:24 AM

Hey crankster from magnolia A friend of mine just signed up at Montgomery HS as a caption.. They have a tournament oct 1st .. Do y'all fish the same tourney??
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/16/16 12:03 PM

The only problem here is that you can't provide a boat for you son to fish out of. Let's not lose sight of that.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/16/16 02:31 PM

what about e-vap cigs, are they ok?

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/16/16 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: B. Dill

The only problem here is that you can't provide a boat for you son to fish out of. Let's not lose sight of that.

Bill my wife has cancer and that takes priority over a fishing boat...I do everything I can to provide my son what he needs and he is thankful for everything he gets He cried over a few guys sending him some lures(He dont cry very often) because he is Thankful and grateful for everything...Done
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/17/16 01:23 AM

I agree with the don't smoke or dip stuff.

I smoke. I smoke in my boat. I NEVER smoke in another persons boat or car. Yep. I can go for hours without smoking. I should quit, but I like it too much. I could volunteer to be a boat captain, but I won't. I just don't have patience enough to deal with kids on my boat for that long. That leaves me out. I represent a few companies on the water. When I'm in their boat, their advertising on the side, and wearing their jerseys, I don't smoke. It's not that they have ever told me not to...it's because I am sure the image they would like me to present isn't one of a smoker. Simple.

If you guys want to be a boat captain, fine....abide by the rules. Don't bitch about em. If ya smoke, dip, snort, shoot up, etc....go without it for 8 hours or don't volunteer. If you really would like to dedicate 8-12 hours of your weekend to some kids, have the tolerance, but dip or smoke....make a choice. Again, simple.

Sorry to hear about your wife man. My wife went through stage three breast cancer 15 years ago. Dual radical mastectomy. And several other things sliced out too. They gave us 2-3 quality years of life together. That was 16 years ago. She's still here and wishes me happy fishing every morning. Hang tough man. And be there for her if you can. I say that because if she has it...you and your whole family have it as well. It effects everyone. Maybe not as deeply. But it does.

Sorry.....off my box now.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/17/16 01:46 AM

Very well said.
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I agree with the don't smoke or dip stuff.

I smoke. I smoke in my boat. I NEVER smoke in another persons boat or car. Yep. I can go for hours without smoking. I should quit, but I like it too much. I could volunteer to be a boat captain, but I won't. I just don't have patience enough to deal with kids on my boat for that long. That leaves me out. I represent a few companies on the water. When I'm in their boat, their advertising on the side, and wearing their jerseys, I don't smoke. It's not that they have ever told me not to...it's because I am sure the image they would like me to present isn't one of a smoker. Simple.

If you guys want to be a boat captain, fine....abide by the rules. Don't bitch about em. If ya smoke, dip, snort, shoot up, etc....go without it for 8 hours or don't volunteer. If you really would like to dedicate 8-12 hours of your weekend to some kids, have the tolerance, but dip or smoke....make a choice. Again, simple.

Sorry to hear about your wife man. My wife went through stage three breast cancer 15 years ago. Dual radical mastectomy. And several other things sliced out too. They gave us 2-3 quality years of life together. That was 16 years ago. She's still here and wishes me happy fishing every morning. Hang tough man. And be there for her if you can. I say that because if she has it...you and your whole family have it as well. It effects everyone. Maybe not as deeply. But it does.

Sorry.....off my box now.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/17/16 01:52 AM

My biggest concern isn't with me putting my ecog or dip down for 8 hrs. My concern is, I do not want my angler to not catch a fish and be disappointed and want to quit or think he sucks. I explained to him that if the best anglers struggle and have bad day's. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching. It is a deep passion more then a hobby for me. Being my first year to Captain i am honored to be asked to do it. Rules are rules just follow them!
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/17/16 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: barryfish
My biggest concern isn't with me putting my ecog or dip down for 8 hrs. My concern is, I do not want my angler to not catch a fish and be disappointed and want to quit or think he sucks. I explained to him that if the best anglers struggle and have bad day's. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching. It is a deep passion more then a hobby for me. Being my first year to Captain i am honored to be asked to do it. Rules are rules just follow them!

I'm a bit different. After last Saturday, I told my guys that it was on them. I expected more from them than what they showed, and they showed with a very lackluster performance. I expected better.
With that said, everyone has an off day. I hope that this was their's.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/17/16 03:08 AM

I'm a captain for my son's team in his friends parents boat...It is on them to perform...Harder they work Luckier they get..Casting practice everyday for 1 hr.fish Friday Saturday Sunday banking it at Grapevine....Don't call me to come pick you up til you've caught 5...

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/17/16 03:56 AM

I'm a captain for my son's team in his friends parents boat...It is on them to perform...Harder they work Luckier they get..Casting practice everyday for 1 hr.fish Friday Saturday Sunday banking it at Grapevine....Don't call me to come pick you up til you've caught 5...

just go old school and make them hoof it home if they didn't get a limit

whip

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/17/16 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

just go old school and make them hoof it home if they didn't get a limit

whip

Doug I'm waiting til World Championships in Tennessee for that...."No 5 No ride" That's my new motto for my team lol
Posted By: nate king

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/20/16 06:48 AM

I liked the part where the captains got to fish for a little bit of side pot money. I won the side pot money and gave it to the two anglers who fished.
Posted By: pinesaddict

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/20/16 11:35 AM

A few random thoughts on the subject.
My Highschool team is a blast.
They keep me young at heart.
No rap music... really?
Best way to grow our sport.
Not everyone has the money.
I have been blessed. This is a way I can give back doing something I love.
With all the bad press teenagers get these young men are a little different.
Think about local tournaments or clubs going from 30-40 boats to 100.
Not everyone is a football hero.
This may be the one thing that motivates a young person.
Rules are rules.
I don't know a better way to teach ... practice makes perfect.
There will be good days and bad days.
Like the coach says... anytime you can get a teenager to want to get up at 2:30 in the morning. You have accomplished something.
Not everyone has someone to take them fishing.
You will make some friends you never thought of.
Give it a try you just might enjoy this and learn something in the process.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/20/16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: pinesaddict
No rap music... really?
Rules are rules.
Like the coach says... anytime you can get a teenager to want to get up at 2:30 in the morning. You have accomplished something.

thumb

Well said.

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/20/16 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: pinesaddict
No rap music... really?
Rules are rules.

Very well said! I have one kid left without a boat captain. If anyone is willing to take this kid out on Lake Livingston on October 1st please let me know. 8three2-7six7-88nine0
Posted By: Catfishd

Re: A tip for high schoolers looking for captains - 09/22/16 03:22 AM

I captain both my sons. And I still make them wash the boat they are not touching my truck. And I never have to worry about them saying thank you. They love it. But here is the problem. Our Martin team has 25 teams. 6 teams do not have a boat captain. Most of the parents do not even have a clue what is needed or what it takes. But as anglers ourselves it is a great opportunity for us to teach the youth proper on and off the water etiquette. These kids clearly have a passion for fishing. And in a lot of cases their parents cannot afford boats. I have recruited a couple of my buddies as captains and they love the kids as much as I do. I tell the ones looking for a captain that you have to be willing wash the boat or vehicle. Supply your own tackle. And at least offer to pay for the gas.Offer to bring lunch or snacks. And you need to be willing to say thank you over and over again. Always yes or no sir and have manners and they will want to captain for you again. With that being said the west divisions next tournament is late Oct on Grandbury. I have some great kids on our team still seeking captains. I fish these tournaments out of my center console. You don't have to own a bass boat just a 17ft or bigger boat with a trolling motor. If your interested let me know.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum