Texas Fishing Forum

Suggestion for loosening screws

Posted By: TwoLakes

Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/05/16 04:34 AM

The screws that hold the shift lever to the fiberglass of my Skeeter ZX21 keep coming loose. They were over tightened by someone (probably whoever put the hotfoot on??). I could buy larger screws, but I'm not confident they won't enlarge the holes and start backing out as well. How do you guys resolve this issue to get the screws tightened back up? Is there a certain screw that works better in fiberglass if the answer is to get larger screws?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/05/16 04:39 AM

Locktite Threadblocker, problem solved

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/05/16 04:53 AM

Thanks Frank. I haven't used lock tite on fiberglass before. Can I get the screws back out if needed in the future?
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/05/16 05:25 AM

Use the blue thread locker and you should be okay. Red is high strength. Blue is medium strength.
Posted By: MtnHm203

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/05/16 10:24 AM

If the threads are truly stripped out, Use epoxy or wood glue, and glue a round toothpick into the holes. When dry, you can snap off the toothpick that is sticking out, and reinstall the screws. Works great for stripped holes.
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/05/16 12:02 PM

If you can get behind the glass cut a small piece of wood and pre-drill the hole, glue it in place, then you will have a solid reusable mount...
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/05/16 01:35 PM

What type of screws were used? If they are machine screws, switch them out for wood screws, threading is much deeper on wood screws, might help grab the fiberglass.
Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/05/16 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: KCFISH'N
If you can get behind the glass cut a small piece of wood and pre-drill the hole, glue it in place, then you will have a solid reusable mount...

The above is a good solution, but if you have access to use a wood backup then the best solution is to replace the screws with bolts, washers, and nylon locknuts. Screws are a bad fastener to use in fiberglass.

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/06/16 01:10 AM

I'll pull the few remaining screws out this week hopefully and see what I have. There are some good suggestions here and I'm sure I'll use one or more of them. Thanks All.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/06/16 02:20 PM

Silicone glue if the screw still has something to thread into. If the hole is too big fill it with epoxy and re-drill it to the size you need. Then put silicone glue on the threads and screw it back in.
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/06/16 05:09 PM

Locktite Threadblocker, problem solved
Posted By: HOTBAMike

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/06/16 05:30 PM

Thread locker would be my choice as well. No doubt the other options would work too.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/06/16 06:12 PM

Another possible solution? If you have access behind the lever (I do on my aluminum V) drill the holes thru and remount with machine screws and nylok nuts.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Suggestion for loosening screws - 09/06/16 08:26 PM

Cut the tie end off a ziptie and place the flat side in the hole and insert screw.works like a sheet rock anchor
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum