Texas Fishing Forum

Gorilla Hull

Posted By: Court

Gorilla Hull - 09/04/16 07:40 PM

Took this RE-BAR damage yesterday. 15' long
through the gel coat. Looking at Gorilla hull vs 15' of gel coat repair. What do you guys think of the G-Hull?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/04/16 07:59 PM

I think you're crazy if you don't. From what I have read it's worth every penny and why would you pay for that repair, then run the risk of doing it again next week? Makes no sense to me. Keep pics, disclose what happened and why you did it, then when you sell your boat one day, you can explain here was the damage and why I did the gorilla hull. I would buy a boat with a gorilla hull in a heartbeat with the pics knowing the damage you did. No big deal. Just my .02.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/04/16 08:00 PM

I had a gator hull on my pro craft done by Lake Fork Fiberglass and it was great. nearly 15 years of damage from stumps etc all taken care of in one deal.

When I sold the boat the fella bought it because it had a gator hull on it. Yes it slowed it down 5 MPH.

When my current boat gets to the point where it needs one I will get one again.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/05/16 01:46 AM

Gator hull and Gorilla hull look to be very similar..... anyone know the difference? Toledo fiberglass has a great rep and that's the "Gorilla hull"
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/05/16 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Court

through the gel coat. Looking at Gorilla hull vs 15' of gel coat repair. What do you guys think of the G-Hull?

New boat right? You have insurance don't you? Will they pay for that application?
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/05/16 01:59 AM

I have a Gorilla hull on my Champion. Got it last summer after some rebar damage. I love the Gorilla hull. Toledo Fiberglass let me decide if I wanted it fixed OEM or go with a Gorilla hull. NO pressure. Lifetime warranty that transfers, and the hull only adds about 40lbs to the hull.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/05/16 04:32 PM

Gator/Gorilla either ways is good. Insurance should pay.Get a estimate of repairs VS gator/gorilla replacement with a lifetime warranty. Insurance Co. should jump on it.

What lake / Where was the rebar ? Hope you marked it so no one else gets unlucky.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/05/16 05:44 PM

OUCH!!

Sorry that happened bud. Happened to me up in Elm Creek one day on Fork in a 3 day old Bass Cat! realmad
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/05/16 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

OUCH!!

Sorry that happened bud. Happened to me up in Elm Creek one day on Fork in a 3 day old Bass Cat! realmad

Happened to me in Running Creek this past February, $5k OUCH frown
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/05/16 07:09 PM

Seen smaller scratches that are just barely into the glass fixed with marine-tex. He sanded all the edges/chips out, cleaned with acetone, taped the gouge off, filled with marine-tex and smoothed it out, ended up looking very good. Was way cheaper than what the shop quoted and has held up for years, but his was basically just gel coat damage, not sure how deep yours is, also he doesn't keep his boat on the water 24/7, not sure how well marine tex holds up in those conditions or if it absorbs water over a long period of time being in a marina.
Posted By: Terrova54

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/05/16 11:38 PM

I would do the gorilla hull. One thing to keep in mind is the blisters that will soon be forming on your hull. Ever since 2004 or 2005 when the EPA made the boat manufacturers change the formula on the gel coating this has been a problem. I'm sure you've heard about this. Go ahead and get it done and be ahead of the game...
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/06/16 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Terrova54
I would do the gorilla hull. One thing to keep in mind is the blisters that will soon be forming on your hull. Ever since 2004 or 2005 when the EPA made the boat manufacturers change the formula on the gel coating this has been a problem. I'm sure you've heard about this. Go ahead and get it done and be ahead of the game...
Its a known problem with tritons, haven't heard of it being a mass issue with other brands, but sure some pop up here and there.
Posted By: 89javelin100

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/06/16 06:03 PM

I don't even wanna read this anymore.. Ya what lake, where??

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/07/16 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

OUCH!!

OH MY, 3 days old? This is a 5 mo. old ZX. This happened in the back of Board Tree on Fork. I'm thinking that this years high water and wind may have floated some of the PVC off of the re-bar. Sorry I didn't mark the points, didn't want to get close to the spot at the time. The bad part is, is that my place is in the back of Board Tree. May never launch back there again. Second time in 5 months I found re-bar, first time was my maiden voyage in this boat.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/07/16 01:38 AM

In my world that is just a scratch. Don't worry about it.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/07/16 01:53 AM

Buddy got a gorilla hull he says its pretty slick would love to have one on my skeeter

Re: Gorilla Hull - 09/07/16 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Dubee
In my world that is just a scratch. Don't worry about it.

2001 Triton, just sayin.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum