Texas Fishing Forum

Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod...

Posted By: Bucketmouth69

Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 11:26 AM

Typically, how often do most of you, change line and do you have a system for keeping track of how old and what size and brand and or type (mono or flouro) of line you have on each rod?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 11:39 AM

When I break off so much that I start to get a slow retrieve from lack of line on the spool....or a huge backlash. Whichever comes first. Lol.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 11:46 AM

Once very few months. Floro-Seaguar red label or invisx, mono-Big game or McCoy, braid-power pro

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 12:04 PM

Seriously though....my new Lews reels have a line indicator dial on the tension knob that I set to remind me that I have 12lb Seagaur on the reels. (I have 12 pound InvisX on every reel but 3). As for when to change? My sarcastic post above isn't too far off.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 12:21 PM

About once a year. Keep rods inside unless fishing.
Posted By: Michael Curbow

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 12:32 PM

I use colored electrical tape around the butt of rod so that with a quick glance I know what line size is on that combo. Red = 10 lb, Blue = 15 lb, Green = 20 lb
This covers how I fish and I just change out as needed.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 01:15 PM

You could put a small sticker under the reel seat, and label line type/size and date
Posted By: ldmtsu

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 01:18 PM

I bought a label machine....and I put

"20FL"
"8/30/16"

in a very small font and the label will stick to the side of the reel or underneath the handle....that way there is never a questions what I have on the reel and when I strung it.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 01:33 PM

Braid main line to different leaders on all rods (except crig) has worked well for me.

I change out the leaders when I see or feel significant abrasion damage; so I change the leader on my flipping and jig rods as frequently as once every 3 weeks.

My crig rod is fluoro mainline to copoly leader. It gets changed when I see coiling or abrasion in the main line or abrasion in the leader; so I change those out about every four months or so. (don't throw crig often)

Over winter, I'll reverse the braid mainline.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 01:52 PM

Change my primary reels once a month.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 02:06 PM

The Carbon-lite rods have a dial for line size. I always do a check on my line by tying a half hitch, cinching it and pulling on it. If it breaks its time to replace.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 04:04 PM

Use a permanent marker and write it on the reel myself. I don't date it. You can see when you need more line. Don't over complicate things... I'm not a huge tournament guy, so I use the same line for 6-12 months on many reels and never had an issue.
Posted By: stetson

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 06:40 PM

Change Fluor every 2-4 depending on which rod it is and braid I never change it, seems like it lasts forever
Posted By: Starkfishes

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael Curbow
I use colored electrical tape around the butt of rod so that with a quick glance I know what line size is on that combo. Red = 10 lb, Blue = 15 lb, Green = 20 lb
This covers how I fish and I just change out as needed.

This ... and I write the date on the tape with a Sharpie so I know how old it is. I typically change my line quarterly. Breaking off makes me crazy and changing the line quarterly keeps it fresh enough to not be able to use the "bad line" excuse.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 10:12 PM

I don't change too often.. maybe once every few months. When I notice my casting distance is getting shortened because of the line kinking or if my spool is low, then I'll change it.
Posted By: Basser1OH

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 11:54 PM

I buy the adhesive line labels at Bass Pro Shops. They have a place to write the line size and date. They are adhesive and stick to the lower side of the reels.

I fish tournaments and change my line before every tournament, except for my braid which lasts a year.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/30/16 11:55 PM

since I used to have access to yellow electrical tape I have always wrapped a piece around the cork above the reel with the line size and manufacturer (like Invz -15) and the date I put it on. Use a permanent marker.

this is for both my rigs and my wifes as well. works and keep it straight for me
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/31/16 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Braid main line to different leaders on all rods (except crig) has worked well for me.

I change out the leaders when I see or feel significant abrasion damage; so I change the leader on my flipping and jig rods as frequently as once every 3 weeks.

My crig rod is fluoro mainline to copoly leader. It gets changed when I see coiling or abrasion in the main line or abrasion in the leader; so I change those out about every four months or so. (don't throw crig often)

Over winter, I'll reverse the braid mainline.

This is what I do as well, I have braid that is 4 years old on most my set ups, all I need is 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 25, and 30 pound leader line, I am covered.

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/31/16 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Basser1OH
I buy the adhesive line labels at Bass Pro Shops. They have a place to write the line size and date. They are adhesive and stick to the lower side of the reels.

I fish tournaments and change my line before every tournament, except for my braid which lasts a year.

every tournament?! You're buying bad line if you don't think it will last that long. Unless your tournaments are a few months apart.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/31/16 01:46 AM

i tie a palomar with a big tail ----this gives a natural consumption of line --when the spool gets to little --reload
Posted By: 007.

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/31/16 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S
Originally Posted By: Basser1OH

every tournament?! You're buying bad line if you don't think it will last that long. Unless your tournaments are a few months apart.

On rods that have been heavily used, I change the line before every tournament, even if the tournaments are a few weeks apart. I use quality line and I bet Basser1OH does too. On tournament day, fresh line means no unseen nicks, kinks or flat spots that can cause problems, which means a much better chance of the big ones making it into the boat.

On my last order I tried these labels that attach to the rod handle and they seem to work well.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sunline_Rod_Bands_3pk/descpage-SRBS.html

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/31/16 02:49 PM

Geeze. Guess if you have had issues with line it makes sense.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/31/16 06:42 PM

I change mono once a year...braid every other year ..I top shot fluorocarbon and change it as needed.....never have a problem .....you guys are nuts sarcastic
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/31/16 06:47 PM

I put a small sticker from office supply places on the palm plate of each reel with lb. test and type (fluoro or mono). Typically don't label my braid reels b/c they're all 65#. I change line as needed. Could be every day. Could be once every few months. Just depends on how much I'm fishing.
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/31/16 08:05 PM

I use these http://reelgrip.com/ for the line weight, that is one color for 65,one color for 30,one color for 20,one for 17,one for 14......... u get the idea
change line out every Jan, while I'm nursing that hangover same time I clean and lube all the reels
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/31/16 10:12 PM

I only replace fluoro once a year, or when the spool gets too thin. Might let braid run for two years before changing it. The price they charge for line anymore, it better last that dang long.
Posted By: Bucketmouth69

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/31/16 10:42 PM

I guess it's all relative to how much you fish, the level of competition your in, and the lakes your fishing...I change mine before each club tournament once a month usually, and if you fish fork much and only change your line once a year, it's a wonder you ever catch a fish at all? I've had my heart broke to many times on that lake, so it's made me paranoid!!
Posted By: Old Tracker

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 08/31/16 11:16 PM

I keep a spreadsheet with all my rods, what reel is on it, pound test and brand and date spooled.I also track the date the reel was last cleaned and comments about repairs that need done.

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 09/01/16 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Old Tracker
I keep a spreadsheet with all my rods, what reel is on it, pound test and brand and date spooled.I also track the date the reel was last cleaned and comments about repairs that need done.

Nerd!

It's not rocket science. Or is it?

Do you have a schematic of the rod locker on the boat and a list that updates on your iPad keeping track of plastics inventory. Do you have a system that warns you of when your low on a specific color and does this system automatically place an online order at tackle warehouse?

Just pokin fun.
Posted By: Old Tracker

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 09/01/16 01:26 AM

It's mostly just an excuse to hang out in my den
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 09/01/16 04:08 AM

Use McCoys Mean Green and don't change your line. I have had 17# test on one reel for over 7 years now. It is still as good as the day I put it on there. I have 9 CB rods and I use this one for the heavy timber lakes and it is still in GREAT condition. I keep a log of when I change the line on the reels. I mark the date and type of line it is (# test) and name the line I put on *McCoys). I hvae to replace my Big Game line at least every 3 or 4 months, because of the memory. McCoys is so good that you don't have to do that. But, I digress. IT DEPENDS ON THE LINE YOU ARE USING!!! Braid, flouro copoly or mono. Most monos need changed every 3 or 4 months, in my experience. About the same for flouro. Braid and copoly have a mind of their own. NORMALLY, I put braid on once every 3 or 4 years and reverse it about every 2 years. I use LYNCH line and it has no memory whatsoever. McCoys I normally respool when it breaks off too much to get a good cast on it. Normally every 2 or 3 years, but see the above reference at 7 years. HOPE THIS HELPS SOME!!!! Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod... - 09/01/16 04:26 AM

I change line when it needs to be changed .
Posted By: Mike2718

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod.. - 09/01/16 04:26 AM

I kinda do what "Old Tracker" does. I keep a spreadsheet on my phone. I put different colored plastic cable ties on the end of my rods. I use the very small ties that have a very small "head" on them. I think I have 8 or so different colors. I try to somewhat color match the ties and rods so the ties aren't very noticeable. I then put double ties on some of the rods. For each color, my spreadsheet has the brand of rod & reel, line brand, line series, pound test, type of line i.e. mono, flour, braid,color, how much spooled, date spooled, date purchased and a notes section. If it has 2 ties, the entry will say "double" whatever color tie is used. It may be overkill, but it has worked very well for me.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Changing Line often- System for Dates and line sizes on each rod.. - 09/01/16 01:37 PM

I spool about 50 yds of line at a time. When this gets shortened or roughed up to the point I can't work with it I respool.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum