Texas Fishing Forum

Falcon Help

Posted By: ABit

Falcon Help - 08/27/16 03:41 PM

So, I made my first trip to Falcon about a month ago and had a blast. We spent about 6 hours on the water and due to the heat and wind, we were exhausted when we finally loaded up. The three hour drive home was pretty brutal. Anyway, the wind is supposed to be mild tomorrow so I am thinking about going out again tomorrow.

I wanted to see if anyone could share some tips for maximizing my time out there. I normally spend a lot of time trying to figure out a lake but with the heat, that's hard to do in the middle of August. Last month I caught most of my fish in 4 -8 feet of water on the Mexico side about midway through the lake. I was getting broke off on standing timber about every third catch. Any general areas to focus on tomorrow would be a huge help. I'm not asking for coordinates or anything... haha

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Falcon Help - 08/27/16 04:21 PM

I would not do too much different.. Water levels are similar to a month ago and those trees on MX side still have fish in them. Water is a little dirtier than a month ago, but clears up on MX side about marker 9.. Fish those trees from Marker 9 to the mouth of Blanco.. Put some 25 pound floro on there and you'll be fine..

That'll keep you busy all day..

Re: Falcon Help - 08/27/16 04:39 PM

Where is the mouth of Blanco? I don't see it on the topo I am looking at. Thank you for the help!
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Falcon Help - 08/27/16 05:12 PM

Its the big creek/cove that is between markers 8 and 9.. Mexican side..

Re: Falcon Help - 08/27/16 05:45 PM

Got it. Thanks again!
Posted By: Starkfishes

Re: Falcon Help - 08/27/16 05:57 PM

I'm not sure if you were breaking off on fish or just the trees. If it was just the trees you need to imagine that every tree on that side of the lake probably has a net tangled up in it. It's hard to get a lot of baits through them. I have found that the most efficient was to fish them is to flip rather than casting and trying to work the bait back through them. I seem to hang up a lot less flipping.

Catch a giant and lost some pictures!!

Re: Falcon Help - 08/27/16 06:08 PM

Starkfishes. Yeah, there wasn't a lot of room to do much casting and they were so shallow that flipping was really all I could do. I don't doubt that a few of my snags didn't involve a fish but I know a few did. The chatterbaits were getting bit on every cast but I also lost 3 or 4 of them. I'll try some soft plastics so I can bury the hook. Thanks again yall!
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Falcon Help - 08/27/16 08:21 PM

A few weeks ago when we were down there the best bite we found was wind blown rock in 2 to 25ft. C-rig'ed mag flukes were crushing them.

Re: Falcon Help - 08/27/16 08:23 PM

I guess I didn't explore enough to find the rocks. I initially went looking for points that I found on maps but once I got to them, I realized the timber kept us from getting to them. I switched the game plan pretty quick and went shallow on the opposite side.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Falcon Help - 08/28/16 02:34 AM

Go by Falcon Lake Tackle and get some beefier line. It sounds like you've got the spot, you just need the right equipment to horse them out. If I break off twice, that reel gets retired for the day.

Good luck!
Posted By: Broken Braid Guide Service

Re: Falcon Help - 08/28/16 09:46 PM

I'd concentrate on rock points and dropoffs early then move to the hardwoods as stated above. water is dirty so you might have to slow down a little, also the soft plastic bite is soft so you need to be paying attention to your line.

Re: Falcon Help - 08/28/16 10:43 PM

Thanks for all the info. Ended up destroying them today. Flipped the timber this morning and caught several. Bite really turned on around 11. They couldn't get enough of the square bill in 4-8 feet of water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum