Texas Fishing Forum

1 rod.. what line?

Posted By: dreamweaver96

1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 02:28 PM

I have 1 rod I use for flipping and pitching and jigs. I'd like to start throwing frogs but I'm not sure that's a good idea on floro. Would braid suit all these situations? Is frogging one of those things that really needs it's own rod? My rod is a 7'3" heavy with a fast tip. Thanks for the advice yall.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 02:30 PM

Your rod is fine but you'll relly want to throw braid on the frog. How about a separate reel?
Posted By: buda13

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 02:41 PM

A couple of variables to consider... what kind of cover are you fishing the frog in? If its not super thick jungle that you are skipping way back in you can probably get away with flouro on the frog. Second is water clarity, braid on your jig or flipping baits can cost you bites clearer water conditions. IMO.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 02:45 PM

Separate reel is a good idea.

Braid could be used for all these situations (but is not ideal)--With a stiff rod/fast tip and straight braid with flipping, you have no give in any part of your set up--more likely to blow out the fishes mouth on a hook set. Having some give somewhere in your set up with flipping can be very helpful--either in the rod (some parabolic action) or in the line (fluoro). Fishing from a kayak, you are more likely to get away with straight braid and flipping (there's lots of "give" fishing from a seated position in a light weight vessel)

You could try braid to fluoro leader for flipping, then cut off the leader for the frogging--then retying on a fluoro leader when you go back to flipping and pitching.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 02:53 PM

Braid with copolymer leader
Posted By: fouzman

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
A couple of variables to consider... what kind of cover are you fishing the frog in? If its not super thick jungle that you are skipping way back in you can probably get away with flouro on the frog. Second is water clarity, braid on your jig or flipping baits can cost you bites clearer water conditions. IMO.

Fluoro will inhibit the action of his frog, boudreaux.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 03:11 PM

If you only have 1 rod/reel....I would say 20lb big game. You can beat it up and it will stay strong. It's Mono so it will float. You can use top waters/frogs if you wish. It will be strong enough to fish most applications. However, as Buda stated, if you are fishing a frog in the "junk" then I wouldn't throw a frog without braid.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 04:33 PM

I would go with 50lb braid. My favorite line for flipping/pitching and frogs.
Posted By: mark.tpt

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 04:50 PM

50lb braid with a fluoro leader. Best of both worlds, and a very versatile setup. If you find that the fluoro inhibits the lure action too much, you can always add a split ring between the leader and lure.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Boudreaux knows about as much about floro as he does spinning gear.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 05:58 PM

Copolymer line. Izorline is the best I have found.
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 06:01 PM

You can use that rod for everything with 65lb braid Segar smackdown is good.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 06:12 PM

Just put 20# Suffix Seige on it in their Camo color and throw anything, flip anything, drag anything you want to.
This stuff has drug some pretty good fish out of the brush and off the rocky points of Falcon.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/26/16 07:37 PM

You probably could just buy extra spools cheaper than reels to switch out.
Posted By: Mellis86

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/27/16 02:10 AM

Braid for sure you can always put a floro leader. I would go at least 30 pound braid.
Posted By: TexBbq

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/27/16 02:30 AM

65lb braid. I go to Guntersville every year, except this year, in October just for the frog bite. A lot of grass, hydrilla and current.
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/27/16 03:36 AM

Silver Thread an40
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/27/16 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Posted By: Richbirdhunter

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/27/16 03:31 PM

Keep your braid and try different leaders
Posted By: Connor S

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/27/16 03:53 PM

Your rod is great for both applications. High speed reel for both applications.

What about separate spools?

Replacement spools are only $20-$40 compared to a new reel $100-$400;one braid the other flouro or whatever you want to flip with. Makes since to me.

Reels like the new Curado 200's are a breeze to open up and the side plate is attached to the reel. I think I just solved a problem for myself too. I might get spools with different poundage line to swap out matching conditions.. saves me from trashing perfectly good line.
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: 1 rod.. what line? - 08/27/16 04:19 PM

Sounds like different spools would be the best way to go. Thanks everyone!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum