Texas Fishing Forum

Sabine river

Posted By: Daddyof2

Sabine river - 08/26/16 11:23 AM

I'm a Tx resident with Tx fishing license. Do I need a La fishing license to fish the Sabine?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Sabine river - 08/26/16 11:47 AM

No. It's shared waters.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Sabine river - 08/26/16 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Cast
No. It's shared waters.
nope you don't.
Posted By: HItec Redneck

Re: Sabine river - 08/27/16 01:46 PM

As long as you don't go inland in a ditch or a cut on the LA side you will be fine. I made that mistake @ 35 years ago.
Posted By: fish 4 5

Re: Sabine river - 08/27/16 01:56 PM

Is the Sabine flooding? Is there a site to check water conditions?
Thanks
Posted By: mrdvant

Re: Sabine river - 08/27/16 03:42 PM

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=LCH&gage=DWYT2
Posted By: Daddyof2

Re: Sabine river - 08/30/16 01:48 PM

It seemed like it may be a touch high. We caught about 30 the first day and probably 10 the second day. The only problem... absolutely none over a pound and a 1/4. Fun trip though. We caught them every way imaginable.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Sabine river - 08/30/16 02:12 PM

If you fish in the main river or anything on the Texas side no you don't need it. If you go in any cut/ditch/creek East of the river channel you will need a LA license.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Sabine river - 08/30/16 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Daddyof2
It seemed like it may be a touch high. We caught about 30 the first day and probably 10 the second day. The only problem... absolutely none over a pound and a 1/4. Fun trip though. We caught them every way imaginable.
good deal! Sounds like a fun day.I've got two boys and we love gitting on the river...what part of the river were you fishing?
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Sabine river - 09/01/16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: kellisag
If you fish in the main river or anything on the Texas side no you don't need it. If you go in any cut/ditch/creek East of the river channel you will need a LA license.

100%....the Sabine River is not like Toledo Bend to where all you need is either a TX or La license and you are good no matter where you go. If you go into anything off the main river into La you will need a Louisiana license. Also, something else to consider, it used to be and I am almost positive that it still is a law, but anything south of Interstate 10 requires a saltwater stamp as well.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Sabine river - 09/01/16 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Corey Stanley
Originally Posted By: kellisag

100%....the Sabine River is not like Toledo Bend to where all you need is either a TX or La license and you are good no matter where you go. If you go into anything off the main river into La you will need a Louisiana license. Also, something else to consider, it used to be and I am almost positive that it still is a law, but anything south of Interstate 10 requires a saltwater stamp as well.

Good point! I never considered it because I always buy a super combo with every endorsement/stamp.
I took the below from the TPWD website. Anything East and South of these boundaries is considered saltwater.

•eastward along Interstate Hwy. 10 to the junction of State Hwy. 73 in Winnie, thence
•eastward along State Hwy. 73 to the junction of U.S. Hwy. 287 in Port Arthur, thence
•northwestward along U.S. Hwy. 287 to the junction of Interstate Hwy. 10 in Beaumont, thence
•eastward along Interstate Hwy. 10 to the Louisiana State Line.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoo...ater-boundaries
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Sabine river - 09/01/16 07:40 PM

I was born and raised about 10 miles form the lower Sabine in Sulphur, La. Fished it all of my life. One of the Tx. Game Wardens told me the rule of thumb they follow is 100ft past the edge of the shoreline. You can fish the mouths of the bayous and ditches, but no further than 100ft. This isn't where the boat is sitting it is where the cast lands. 100 ft. is about the length of a normal cast. I was told the rule is applied by both states.

It is rare to see a La. Game Warden on the lower end of the river as the only boat launches are on the Texas Side or way up the river near Starks.
Posted By: TexBbq

Re: Sabine river - 09/01/16 07:49 PM

I fished Bass Champs' Championship and it was mandatory to get a Louisiana fishing license.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Sabine river - 09/01/16 07:57 PM

Also, for you guys that fish tournaments on the Sabine, TPWD lowered the minimum length on the Sabine to 12" from 14".
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Sabine river - 09/01/16 08:31 PM

And fishing is limited to only the counties with the new 12" minimum.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum