Texas Fishing Forum

If you were to catch a new world record LMB....

Posted By: Rhino68W

If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 05:57 PM

Would you keep the fish and your record, and get a true mount of the beast? Or would you release it and risk someone coming in behind you and breaking your record?

Just curious on how some of you guys feel about this particular scenario versus standard catch and release.
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:02 PM

Personally, I would document and release and never tell anybody about it. The lake would be overrun with TFF'ers and it would never be the same.
Posted By: HOTBAMike

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:13 PM

ShareLunker would be the solution for me.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:14 PM

Taking that baby on tour!

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:19 PM

Remember guys, we're talking World Record here. That means interviews, magazines, articles, maybe even some TV show appearances and even a book deal. Keep all of that in mind.
Posted By: 9094

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:21 PM

Show me the money!

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 9094
Show me the money!

banana
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
Originally Posted By: 9094
Show me the money!

banana

x2
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:35 PM

I'd make sure she was weighed properly(and by at least 2 different certified scales) and lots of pics taken then I'd release her back where she was caught. I think that would make me the happiest with the whole thing. Granted with all the excitement that it would cause maybe donating it to a Bass Pro/Cabela's for display in the aquarium would be really cool! I haven't even broken into the DD stage yet though so a fish like that might give me a heart attack! ;-)
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:43 PM

Keep it, and keep it alive in my private pond.

Edit......

But!!! I don't know how I'd get it home from California alive....much less Lake Biwa, Japan. So, I guess I'll never know.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:46 PM

I think in all probability it would be more trouble than it's worth. You'd be signing up for a lifetime of endless criticism. That said, I think I'd shoulder the burden.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:47 PM

If I catch it that fish is gonna be famous. I admit I would contact the right folks to get it certified and I would not have an issue with any of the coverage it would get. We fish our whole lives to catch the "one"

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
I think in all probability it would be more trouble than it's worth. You'd be signing up for a lifetime of endless criticism. That said, I think I'd shoulder the burden.

I don't see how there would be criticism these days. Scales are more exact and social media is a wonder. I would deal with it too though lol.

I don't see people hating on the guy who caught the giant from Biwa. If anything I see more people wishing he had the record since his was 1 oz over the old one.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 06:56 PM

food roflmao

That fish has spawned plenty. Replica Mount, rent it out to BPS, Cabela's, when it dies, skin mount.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 07:04 PM

Hang it from a hook in my garage like that guy at benbrook did, then posts pics here. Lol

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
Hang it from a hook in my garage like that guy at benbrook did, then posts pics here. Lol

LMFAO

Do you have the link to that thread?
Posted By: the skipper

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 07:17 PM

Certify, pics, measurements, release. Then endorsement deals!

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 07:24 PM

LMFAO

Dude that got locked in like 5 minutes. It was a classic.

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 07:26 PM

LMFAO

I can only imagine the butthurtedness that was going on.

Was it a toad?
Posted By: SAKS

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 07:27 PM

I would first thank all my sponsors. Since I don't have any the door is open for when it happens. I am kinda partial to Strike King plastics and crankbaits(wink wink) just in case any of you SK higher ups are reading. Agree with Steez though, don't think Texas will produce that fish. Japan already has and California is probably best bet here in states(I know Dottie was caught but never officially at highest presumed weight).

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 07:29 PM

LMFAO

I can only imagine the butthurtedness that was going on.

Was it a toad?

10 plus lol

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 07:41 PM

10 plus lol

That guy is a legend in my books.
Posted By: Canino

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 07:55 PM

Wasn't there an article in Bassmaster a while back saying a world record LMB would be worth about $1 million in endorsements?

Even if it was 1/10 that, if you say you would throw it back or release it, you're throwing a $100K check in the lake.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
If I catch it that fish is gonna be famous. I admit I would contact the right folks to get it certified and I would not have an issue with any of the coverage it would get. We fish our whole lives to catch the "one"

+1 thumb
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Canino
Wasn't there an article in Bassmaster a while back saying a world record LMB would be worth about $1 million in endorsements?

Even if it was 1/10 that, if you say you would throw it back or release it, you're throwing a $100K check in the lake.

It would be worth a lot more than that if the right person caught it and knew how to market it without offending every other person he came in contact with. If some hillbilly caught it on a minnow, it would be worthless.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: Canino

It would be worth a lot more than that if the right person caught it and knew how to market it without offending every other person he came in contact with. If some hillbilly caught it on a minnow, it would be worthless.

Barry St. Clair comes to mind.

who_knows
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 08:09 PM

I would give anything just to see the Texas State Record broken and would love to be the one to do it.
Kind of like the lottery, you dream about it even though you know the odds are really stacked against you but someone does come along every once in a while and hits the jackpot.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 08:28 PM

simple , keep that fish alive and do not let anybody take pictures , not a word about how I caught it . Call up Johnny Morris @ BPS , I let him know that I have been a customer since the mid-seventies and I would like to give him an exclusive deal to "showcase" a world record bass. Negotiate a deal for "mega bucks" and a new boat every three years for life . Tell a BPS writer how I caught it out of my Tracker Targa 17' , with a Shimano rod and reel purchased @ BPS . Then I call Shimano , travel to Japan for a showcase and endorsements . Come back to the US and tell my boss I quit . Spend the rest of my days telling other bass fisherman how lucky and blessed I was and every night get on my knee's to thank God for that bass .
Gotta GO ----have that bass waiting for me in California !!!
tight lines ,
Robb
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 08:44 PM

LMFAO

It was a DD if i remember correctly said he had also caught a bunch of 3-6lbers that he didnt keep.

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: 1oldbassguy
simple , keep that fish alive and do not let anybody take pictures , not a word about how I caught it . Call up Johnny Morris @ BPS , I let him know that I have been a customer since the mid-seventies and I would like to give him an exclusive deal to "showcase" a world record bass. Negotiate a deal for "mega bucks" and a new boat every three years for life . Tell a BPS writer how I caught it out of my Tracker Targa 17' , with a Shimano rod and reel purchased @ BPS . Then I call Shimano , travel to Japan for a showcase and endorsements . Come back to the US and tell my boss I quit . Spend the rest of my days telling other bass fisherman how lucky and blessed I was and every night get on my knee's to thank God for that bass .
Gotta GO ----have that bass waiting for me in California !!!
tight lines ,
Robb

Well oldbassguy, you got the easy part over with. I do like your optimism though and wish you luck. When you see Johnny tell him I said hi.
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 09:16 PM

I'd have the biggest fried filet of bass you ever did see.....

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/23/16 09:30 PM

I would certify it, take a bunch of pictures with me and the fish, release it and tell the person who certified it and everybody on TFF I caught it under the 154 bridge.

thumb
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/24/16 01:29 AM

I'm sure I could find someone to buy her alive.
Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/24/16 01:42 AM

I would get my story straight first. I Caught her in a Ranger boat using Lowrance electronics with a strike king lure wearing costa sunglasses a huk shirt and nike shoes. oh and I forgot I had my power poles down when I set the hook!
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/24/16 03:40 AM

probably make you all famous, fillet it, cook it, then invite all of you over so you all can say i had a piece of a world record lmb it was tasty!!!

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/24/16 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master
probably make you all famous, fillet it, cook it, then invite all of you over so you all can say i had a piece of a world record lmb it was tasty!!!

I would charge $50 a bite lol
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/24/16 03:44 PM

Call Game Warden have it worked up properly. He is going to have the best advise at that point which would be to get it to Athens. I am sure that they will want to do studies on it. Then I could brag to all of you wanna be fishermen for the rest of my life. And if you disagree I will just keep posting my picture with the fish and LMAO. roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/24/16 04:45 PM

Keep her and donate to a program. Maybe not sharelunker but BPS or Cabela's. Let her enjoy the rest of her life without having to worry about us pesky fishermen. roflmao
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/24/16 05:00 PM

Look at Barry StClair's life after just catching the TX record in 1992.
Great job with the TP&W, writes magazine articles, public appearances.. etc..etc.. and all on the credit of a minnow, that tears my backside up..
Seriously, a minner...LOL.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/24/16 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
Certify, pics, measurements, release. Then endorsement deals!

THIS! Then I'd tell my 8-5 boss to shove it cheers

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/24/16 08:47 PM

I am surprised the voting is so close. I thought keep it would be in front.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: If you were to catch a new world record LMB.... - 08/25/16 12:59 AM

You might as well keep it. It is doubtful that she would make it back for a release; with pictures, measuring, waiting for the officials to come and verify and etc. There are no tanks to make this easy to hold a big fish for any length of time around many of our lakes with the exception of Fork. Transporting her to one will increase the stress and she just want make it. I am assuming this is the process to verify such a catch?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum