Texas Fishing Forum

Eagle Mountain

Posted By: jacksonmj

Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 04:20 AM

Anyone been out to eagle mountain recently? Last time out I stunk it up and was looking for information. Taking my wife out with me tomorrow so I would like to show her I still can fish. Thanks Mike
Posted By: TXwelder

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 04:23 AM

go early in the am an throw top water.... but i would take her to a different lake, for this time of year... not saying its good but certainly will be tough
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 04:28 AM

Zoom finesse worm on a shaky head on rock piles is the only luck we've had for August. There are some good ledges out there that do hold fish.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 11:41 AM

I caught a bunch flipping reeds a couple weeks ago. About 10-12 in 3 hours.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 12:26 PM

All the fish I catch in the reeds are tiny, but there's plenty of them.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 02:05 PM

Go throw a little white crankbait around boat docks.. You'll get bit.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S
you haven't found the right reeds then, to the OP I'll send you a PM.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Pay attention to what he says^^^^
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin

Pay attention to what he says^^^^

^^^^^^ cheers peep
Posted By: KickerFish29

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 05:10 PM

I have no input, I weighed my fish in a sandwich bag in KOC...
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 07:22 PM

If by tiny, you mean around a 2-1/2 to 3 pound average.....ok. To me, 5 of those in a bag out there on a regular basis is money in the bank.

You might try throwing a bigger bait and getting fewer bites. A finesse worm will get chewed up on every cast. A 5" Biffle on a 5/0 Trokar with a 1ounce weight will get bit a lot less....but when it does. smile

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 07:56 PM

I'm talking 1 lb average. Even catching a bunch of small ones schooling outside the reeds. I'm going to upsize. Need to get some of the bigger rage bugs.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 08:45 PM

I more interested in B.H. PM message....

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 09:40 PM

Look for small patches of reeds
cheers peep
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 09:52 PM

Pm sent as well
Posted By: Amackmac

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 10:44 PM

I need to get out there

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/23/16 11:25 PM

How does a man get on this pm list? Don't tell me I have to take my wife fishing...
Posted By: E-bright

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/24/16 02:06 AM

Caught 3 this morning in 4 hours but only fished 2 points looking for schools.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/24/16 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: GROD
How does a man get on this pm list? Don't tell me I have to take my wife fishing...
i hear ya buddy i need on it too
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/24/16 02:10 AM

Wife, prodigal son, or father with cancer and diabetes will usually do it.
Posted By: Frydaddy

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/24/16 02:38 AM

I thought it was if you were taking elderly grandpa, a group of nuns, and a bunch of kids who are looking for 5 lb average bass, that will get you on the pm list.
Posted By: fish hunt sleep

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/24/16 02:47 AM

roflmao

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/24/16 03:43 AM

After I get some new tires and bearing on my boat trailer tomorrow, I may get out for a little afternoon fishing on the EM... Prob end up fishing the reeds for couple hours and after the frustration sets in I'll head to the rocks and docks. Let y'all know how it goes.
Posted By: Mikeyb_23

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/24/16 12:24 PM

Are the reeds only on the north end? I don't remember seeing any south of twin points.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/24/16 12:28 PM

Only ones I know of are north of twin points... Lots of them though.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/24/16 12:45 PM

There's some reeds on the south west side of the lake but they're very small patches. Also some around some of the docks on the west bank.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/24/16 12:50 PM

fish the reeds with a green hairjig with watermelon craw/orange pinchers...
Posted By: toofy

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/29/16 01:43 AM

Hysterical !!

I've been hitting the reeds around the island and west of the island every weekend for about 2 months now. Never caught anything in the reeds. Mainly flipping baby brush hogs or similar soft plastics Texas-rigged. Sometimes jigs. I did catch one 20 feet out from the reeds on a crank bait once.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/29/16 02:29 AM

I didn't get a chance to get out the other day but planning on it Tuesday morning. May have a back seat open if anyone wants to go.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/29/16 04:06 PM

Ill be out there in the morning too. just installed a new transducer. Did alright on squarebills this weekend

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/29/16 06:46 PM

I got a few nice ones on a white/red topwater popper in shallow water at sunrise. Then nothing much after that.
Posted By: jacksonmj

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/30/16 02:02 AM

I went out on Sunday and fished the North end muddy water and not very good fishing. I did catch my first shaky head fish but only two others and they were all small. Probably should have went south to find clearer water. It's been rough for me this year on EM. Going to Worth this Friday cause at least it's free to launch there.
Posted By: KickerFish29

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/30/16 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: jacksonmj
I went out on Sunday and fished the North end muddy water and not very good fishing. I did catch my first shaky head fish but only two others and they were all small. Probably should have went south to find clearer water. It's been rough for me this year on EM. Going to Worth this Friday cause at least it's free to launch there.

It's not exactly free you still have to buy a permit to put on your trailer to be on the lake. Just a heads up in case you didn't know that, the police check for those stickers on trailers daily and write tickets.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/30/16 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: jacksonmj

I fished Saturday morning and caught 2 small ones mid lake and North. I haven't caught anything bigger than 3 lbs all year...

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/31/16 05:41 PM

I caught a 3ish saturday and a bunch of smaller fish. I put all my rods away except 2
Posted By: EN591

Re: Eagle Mountain - 08/31/16 10:28 PM

I had good luck on Saturday morning - EM has fished a lot better for me this year than last year. Caught the first fish on a black/blue senko and the second fish on a pearl Fluke. In past years it seems crankbaits have worked best for me but this year has been great for numbers and size on plastics. Most of my fish have come from the south end of the lake. I think we will see some great Fall action. (Sorry I didn't blur the backgrounds but I'm a firm believer in using the TFF to share successes so that it might help someone out.)

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/01/16 01:27 AM

^^^^^ nice! I still haven't made it out on the water yet... Only 24 hours in a day and 7 days a week. Sad thing is I live 1/2 mile from the lake country ramp!
Posted By: rooster tail

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/01/16 02:50 PM

That second spot I know for sure. It was good with a jig years ago but tough in July this year for me. Nice fish. I'm almost certain about the other spot also. thumb

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/01/16 03:30 PM

Were those fish deep or suspended? I've fished around that second spot with a deep diver and couldn't catch anything despite seeing them on the graph.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/01/16 11:41 PM

Were those fish deep or suspended? I've fished around that second spot with a deep diver and couldn't catch anything despite seeing them on the graph.

For me it's been a weird year on the lake. Those fish came out of very shallow water like most of my fish this year. The deepest fish I've caught this year was actually at night.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/02/16 05:07 AM

I took the day off tomorrow (Friday) to get on the lake before the Labor Day fishing crowd tears up the lake. Mornings are cooling off and hopefully this fish will be shallow because that's where I'm going.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/02/16 12:34 PM

Hopefully they bite for you!

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/02/16 06:19 PM

Oh, man it was tough today. Not even a bite. I was out at 6:30am before sunrise. Topwater popper and purple worm deep in the coves but didn't get anything. Then fished the reeds on the north side of the island. Then the shallow stuff over in the pelican bay area. Then pitched docks. Nothing.
Posted By: m.sherman

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/02/16 10:48 PM

i was out there this morning to caught 2 around the west side of island
alot of busting shad but would they not hit my pop r fluke spinnerbait nothing
finally caught 2 on ribbon tail worm one in the reeds one in open water
picked up other 2 on rattle trap around some docks in a cove on west side of lake

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 12:15 AM

What water temps did you guys see today?

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: EN591
What water temps did you guys see today?

Hmmmm I don't remember looking at that. Maybe that's why I never catch anything. laugh

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: m.sherman
i was out there this morning to caught 2 around the west side of island
alot of busting shad but would they not hit my pop r fluke spinnerbait nothing
finally caught 2 on ribbon tail worm one in the reeds one in open water
picked up other 2 on rattle trap around some docks in a cove on west side of lake

I may have seen you this morning. I saw 3 bass boats. I saw a white bass boat head out from the reeds West of the island about 8:30. Then I cranked up the big motor and idled through the channel on the west side of the island and saw 2 other boats in the reeds on the southwest side of the island.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 01:58 AM

u in a white ranger toofy

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 02:01 AM

u in a white ranger toofy

Yep, mainly white with subtle blue trim. Yamaha motor. Fat dude on the bow digging out a bird's nest! Were you the guy in a red trimmed boat by yourself? Maybe a yellow shirt (I can't remember). I felt bad cranking up my big motor, then I turn the corner and there's another bass boat. So I tried to steer away. I usually use my trolling motor to get further away from fellow anglers.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 02:31 AM

yea thats was me shirt was blue but yellow is close
no worries on crankin up thats all you can do cant see around the corner
going back out tomorrow morning try again

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 02:48 AM

I'll be heading out tomorrow morning also. I'm taking my old lady with me so who knows how long I'll get to stay out. I'm still trying to decide where to start out tomorrow. I'll probably try the Flemming slough since I caught a couple dinks there last weekend...which is better than what I caught today. Then I'll probably head to the southeast docks and marinas.

On an unrelated note, there was a guy out today going full throttle deep in the no wake zones in the coves. Old timer in a center console boat with aqua blue/green trim and a lady wearing black perched on the front. WOT going in and then WOT going out. Good grief.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 02:04 PM

Let us know how you guys do on Saturday. Hopefully you got out early as I'm sure there will be plenty of wakeboard boat rollers by the afternoon. Let the jet skis and big boats have their last weekend of wearing out the lake and then it is time to fish. Maybe we can fish offshore and stay on main lake points again without needing a seatbelt.

Side note - Nothing against wakeboarders and jet skis - it is your lake too. Just glad when you guys aren't out in full force.
Posted By: nitro250

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 04:10 PM

Was on the lake about 6:45, second cast about pound and a half on a yellow magic. Lots of blowups and lost a couple. Switched to a fluke and missed a couple and missed a couple on t rig. I figure I was about 45 Minutes late! Fish were surfacing all around. Best part is only 2 trailers at twin points and only saw 3 boats until about 9:30 when I got off the water. Will try again in the morning. Surface temp at 83 degrees on south end.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 05:14 PM

I was out at the same time. Water temp 81 in the coves east of the island. Lots of surface activity but I couldn't get anything on a topwater popper or buzzbait. I saw a big bass jump all the way out of the water to eat something in a brush pile in about 4 feet of water. Had to be at least a 3 pounder. Then I went to another cove and got 3 largemouth on a white crankbait but they were all pretty small. I'm about to go back out and flip docks or something.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 07:33 PM

i started out on the west side of the island throwing the whopper plopper got no bites
started to flip the reeds caught a 5 lb right on the outside of the reeds.
flipped for about another 100 yards or so nothing going on wing from the east so went to west side of lake hit the first cove with a rattle trap caught 4 out of it went down the shore on west side of lake started to tear them up on a rattle trap nothing big but boated atleast 15 fish sun got high and lost the wind bite went away lake started to get busy i got busy getting off the lake almost all rattle trap fish caught in 3 feet to 4 feet deep not right on the shore line but out alittle

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 07:42 PM

i started out on the west side of the island throwing the whopper plopper got no bites
started to flip the reeds caught a 5 lb right on the outside of the reeds.
flipped for about another 100 yards or so nothing going on wing from the east so went to west side of lake hit the first cove with a rattle trap caught 4 out of it went down the shore on west side of lake started to tear them up on a rattle trap nothing big but boated atleast 15 fish sun got high and lost the wind bite went away lake started to get busy i got busy getting off the lake almost all rattle trap fish caught in 3 feet to 4 feet deep not right on the shore line but out alittle

The little ones have been schooling in that shallow water around the island. Like I've said before, I can't seem to catch any big ones. Going out in a few minutes.
Posted By: Hattrck

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 08:17 PM

Thanks for the updates. Will be heading out there early tomorrow morning around 5am.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/03/16 11:27 PM

Put a beat down on the little schoolers around the island. Wait till they bust shad, throw rattle trap, game over. Biggest one was 12 inches though...

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/04/16 12:45 AM

I just sat and watched some idiot in a ski boat tearing out of Harbor One WOT in the no wake zone, then the police chasing him and he tried to outrun them. Got a 2nd police boat out to tow the boat while I think they cuffed and stuffed the idiots into the other police boat.

Be careful out there. Scary.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/04/16 01:04 AM

Man wished i could have been there for that.
do you live on the lake ?

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/04/16 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: toofy
I just sat and watched some idiot in a ski boat tearing out of Harbor One WOT in the no wake zone, then the police chasing him and he tried to outrun them. Got a 2nd police boat out to tow the boat while I think they cuffed and stuffed the idiots into the other police boat.

Saw the police boat hauling a to somewhere when I was loading up. You answered my curiosity as to what was going on. Lots of crazy folks out there.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/04/16 01:24 AM

I'm not surprised - gets pretty unsafe during the holidays. Nothing wrong if someone wants to have some beers out on the lake but have a designated driver.

It's been a week since I've fished so I need to get out. Tomorrow may be one of those 5AM-10AM days but I'm considering it.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/04/16 02:15 AM

Saw the police boat hauling a to somewhere when I was loading up. You answered my curiosity as to what was going on. Lots of crazy folks out there.

I got some of the info from my friend who was out there with his ski boat pulling his kids on a tube and scaring off your fish. Ha!

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/04/16 02:19 AM

Man wished i could have been there for that.
do you live on the lake ?

Yep I'm in the small Y-shaped cove east of the boat club point. It's dark now but I'm sitting outside and just saw the police lights pull someone over. This is great entertainment, even better than a bug zapper.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/04/16 02:41 AM

I bet there will be plenty more entertainment in the next two days as well!

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/04/16 06:26 PM

Good fishing early this morning - coffee in one hand and a senko in the other. Ended up with 11 total - a mix of senko and fluke fish as usual. Nothing as big as the last couple of trips but still some chunky little fish. I think they probably would've bit all day but I got off the water a little after 10 to avoid all of the boat traffic. Boats were lining up to launch when I was leaving so I got out of there just in time.

I bet there will be plenty more entertainment in the next two days as well!

I had some fun entertainment this morning but it was by a fellow fisherman. I was fishing a small section of bank early and was headed toward a main lake point. I look back and a guy in a Skeeter is coming in where I'm at. He let off the throttle and I figured he saw me late and was going to turn around. I was wrong - he got up and put the trolling motor down and started fishing. He cut me off and was within casting distance from me. I couldn't believe it but decided to fish to the point and then turn around and just fish the small section of bank again with a different lure. Since the other guy headed the opposite direction, I started fishing with a c-rig and a fluke to try something different. I heard something after a few minutes and when I turned around the guy is on me again within casting distance. I was so pissed I took a picture so I could post here but then decided it's not the right thing to do. But as a reminder to all (hopefully the guy that cut me off is reading this), show some common courtesy on the water and respect another anglers fishing area.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/04/16 06:55 PM

I think I may know that Skeeter. Did he have a blonde chick sitting with him? A couple months ago I pulled up to a spot between some docks on the eastern bank. I came off my big motor and was idling in to the spot. I saw this Skeeter coming fast and I assumed he just didn't see me. He flew right by me, turned off his big motor, and jumped up onto his trolling motor right in front of me between the docks. I was flabbergasted. So I just moved a couple docks up. Blondie just sat there reading a book.

Funny I was thinking the same thing this morning about how bad boating behavior is rampant. I was fishing this morning on a little point next to that power station on the eastern shore. A tan pontoon boat comes directly towards me and swerves around me, missing me by about 30 feet. Then it stopped to pick up a trot line.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/04/16 07:04 PM

Oh yeah, I started fishing in the reeds far west across from the island at sunrise. Nothing on topwater popper or buzzbait, then I flipped a baby brush hog at the edge of the reeds and got nothing. Then I threw a white squarebill and caught a little 1 pounder.

Then I went east over to Flemming Slough. There is a deer feeder by the only house/dock on the north side that goes off at 8:28am. You can watch the deer run out from the tree line like a dinner bell.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/05/16 03:01 AM

The most interesting part is that it was an actual chase, like the ski boat was trying to outrun the cops. It's a lake. Did this guy think he could make it across the border to Oklahoma? It's A LAKE!

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/05/16 03:05 AM

I'm heading out really early Monday morning to be on the water at 5am. I haven't had much luck this weekend other than a few brush piles I frequent but they don't hold many fish.
I think I'll start out in the cove around Harbor One marina.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/05/16 03:13 AM

good luck to you
weather might keep the crazy at bay for a while 30 percent chance of rain

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/05/16 04:48 PM

I think I may know that Skeeter. Did he have a blonde chick sitting with him? A couple months ago I pulled up to a spot between some docks on the eastern bank. I came off my big motor and was idling in to the spot. I saw this Skeeter coming fast and I assumed he just didn't see me. He flew right by me, turned off his big motor, and jumped up onto his trolling motor right in front of me between the docks. I was flabbergasted. So I just moved a couple docks up. Blondie just sat there reading a book.

Funny I was thinking the same thing this morning about how bad boating behavior is rampant. I was fishing this morning on a little point next to that power station on the eastern shore. A tan pontoon boat comes directly towards me and swerves around me, missing me by about 30 feet. Then it stopped to pick up a trot line.

No blonde on the boat but could certainly be the same guy. I guess I have enough places on EM to fish that when this happens I'll just go elsewhere. I just get frustrated with the lack of courtesy that a few guys show on the water.
Posted By: 89javelin100

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/05/16 07:44 PM

popcorn

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/05/16 08:14 PM

I went out at 5:30am and started way up in Dosier slough and fished the shore/docks all the way out to Lake Country marina. Then I fished that cove. Got nothing and there wasn't a ton of surface activity. Then I fished the shore in Carter slough and got nothing. I threw dark soft plastics on T-rig, and a white squarebill, rattle trap, blue/black jig. Got no bites so I finally called it quits about 11am. I probably should have gone further up the lake but I was trying to avoid the holiday boats. Yesterday the water was incredibly rough.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/05/16 11:34 PM

I went out at 5:30am and started way up in Dosier slough and fished the shore/docks all the way out to Lake Country marina. Then I fished that cove. Got nothing and there wasn't a ton of surface activity. Then I fished the shore in Carter slough and got nothing. I threw dark soft plastics on T-rig, and a white squarebill, rattle trap, blue/black jig. Got no bites so I finally called it quits about 11am. I probably should have gone further up the lake but I was trying to avoid the holiday boats. Yesterday the water was incredibly rough.

I launched at the LCPOA ramp around 6:00 this morning and may have talked to you?

I made the run up North past West Bay and fished the main lake reeds on the east and west sides. Caught 9 swimmers flipping soft plastics. It was a grind and rough, back on the trailer by 10:00. Looking forward to cooler weather and a calmer day without the pleasure boat gangs peep

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/06/16 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass&More

I launched at the LCPOA ramp around 6:00 this morning and may have talked to you?

I made the run up North past West Bay and fished the main lake reeds on the east and west sides. Caught 9 swimmers flipping soft plastics. It was a grind and rough, back on the trailer by 10:00. Looking forward to cooler weather and a calmer day without the pleasure boat gangs peep

Yep that was me. Did I ask about your rope you tie off to the dock when you put your boat in the water by yourself?

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/06/16 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass&More

Yep that was me. Did I ask about your rope you tie off to the dock when you put your boat in the water by yourself?

Nice to meet you Toofy, hope to see you out there again soon, cooler weather is on the way cheers peep

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/07/16 01:40 PM

Just a update, went out yesterday evening for a few hours had 3 good keepers one being around 4lbs caught around 20 fish about 10 being out of reeds on beavers green pumpkin, the rest on junebug shaky heads around docks and rocks on the south end...hope this helps.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/07/16 02:11 PM

Brandon are the bigger fish up against the reeds or in them? Seems like you can catch an infinite number of fish out on the flat surrounding the reeds but none of them are bigger than 13 inches.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/07/16 02:44 PM

They are deep in them I'm using a 1/2 tungsten and flipping over the top into them.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/10/16 08:33 PM

I went out this morning about 8am. It was still raining lightly but the lightning had stopped. I caught a couple of largemouth in the 1-2 pound range. They were both shallow. One was on a spinnerbait and the other was a baby brush hog on the edge of reeds. A school of sandbass moved by me and I caught about 5 sandies in a matter of minutes which is always a fun break. I also saw a HUGE carp jump completely out of the water by some reeds.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/11/16 11:12 PM

Fishing continues to get better at EM as the temps drop a little. It's nice having a full lake going into the Fall - I wish the water clarity was a little better. I'm still throwing senkos and flukes but changed up the color on the senko from previous trips and found some nice fish. This one weighed in at 6.12.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 09/12/16 12:10 AM

That's a monster, great catch! I was out today from 6:30am to 1pm. Water temp got down to 78 later in the morning. It was really muddy up north. Down south was not quite as muddy, but still dirtier than normal, probably because of yesterday's rain.
I started off up in a shallow cove at sunrise with a topwater spook and flipping a worm but got no bites. I moved locations and got a couple of large mouth off the reeds west of the island flipping a blue worm. Then I got about 4 sandbass on that patch/island of reeds south of the big island. I flipped docks at the south and got nothing.

At least the weather was really nice today. The roar of the pleasure boaters was gone, but replaced with an even worse roar of 2 sea planes flying around and around over the water. A couple of months ago one of those guys buzzed right over me just above the tree tops.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/03/16 04:41 AM

I went out today (Sunday) really early and started about 5am in the dark. Caught 3 before sunrise. 2 were off the rocks around the Fort Worth boat club. Each was about 2 lbs. Then a 1 pounder in Flemming slough. At sunrise I tried a topwater popper and Spook but got nothing. Then I went up north into the reeds and got a little 1 pounder, then another one that felt bigger and broke my line. Then went back south to the banks and got 2 more about 2 lbs off the bank. All were caught in less than 3 feet of water. Weather was really nice and a little windy.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/09/16 04:40 AM

I had a great day today. Went out early this morning and caught 2 largemouth around 2 pounds. Then in the afternoon caught a 4.2 pounder in a cove on a secondary point on a crankbait in about 10 feet of water. Then before sunset took my 10yo son and my neighbor's 14yo son out and caught 8 more on crankbaits. My neighbor's kid caught almost all of those. He LOVES to fish and is really good for his age.

Here's my 4 pounder:

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/09/16 11:20 AM

Nice one. The shad are piled into the coves right now.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/09/16 02:46 PM

Fishing is picking up on the Eagle Mountain with the cooler weather cheers peep

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/15/16 07:16 PM

I just got off Eagle Mountain and man it was REALLY windy and rough out there today. 2 foot waves even though no boats were out. Water temp was 71. Got 7 bass in the southern coves but nothing over 2 pounds.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/15/16 07:24 PM

Good day to be throwing crankbaits! I caught well over 15 and I even doubled up and caught 2 on the same crankbait at the same time! They're schooling up feeding on the shad and are very healthy.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/15/16 08:02 PM

Nice one! I got most of mine on a shad colored square bill. Then a couple on a blue rage craw T rigged.
I just got permission from the House Boss to go back out tomorrow morning. I hope it's not as windy because I think I'm gonna start really early before sunrise. But no way I want to be in rough water in the dark.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/16/16 02:14 PM

I fished a little less than 2 hours on the north end and caught one on a fluke a missed two on a senko. The bites I got were way up under boat docks in the shade. I threw a square bill but didn't have any takers in the area. The wind was such a pain that it was impossible to fish the areas that I wanted to. I spend 95% of my time fishing the south end anyway so my confidence up north is pretty low. Glad you guys caught some fish down south. Looks like it is going to be another windy day today but I'll be out again this afternoon for a couple of hours.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/16/16 02:20 PM

Find rocky points with wind blowing on them and crank. You'll catch some. Crank very shallow and crank a little deeper to find where they're at then go to town.
Posted By: dcherriage

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/16/16 03:00 PM

We caught them deep pulled this 7 out of 20ft of water.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/16/16 03:04 PM

Good stuff. Main lake or in a cove?
Posted By: dcherriage

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/16/16 04:32 PM

Main lake

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/16/16 04:44 PM

The bass are active with these water temps...

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/16/16 10:38 PM

The bass are active with these water temps...

cheers just got back, fished the south end in Dossier slough. Caught 23 in 4 hours on shakey heads and yum dingers. My best 5 would go around 18lbs. The mountain is fishing good right now peep

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/16/16 11:56 PM

How are you Fishing finesse in all the wind?

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/17/16 01:32 AM

Man it was windy today and rough like an ocean. I started out in Dosier slough and worked my way out to Carter Slough. My first fish was on a crankbait. The fish was less than 2 pounds but it broke my rod! Lew's Mach 1 combo:

Then I caught a little bluegill on a soft plastic. It was kinda poetic since those bluegill are usually chewing off the flippy flappys on my baby brush hogs.

Caught several keepers and the largest was 3.2 pounds. I hooked two good bass on a spinner bait but they both jumped off when I got them to the boat. I set a personal best record of losing 3 crankbaits all in one day. One is in a tree 20 feet up (thanks wind), another broke off the bill when hitting a rock, and the last one launched into outer space when the line broke mid-reel while casting.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/17/16 01:37 AM

WOW !!! Looks like the 'bite' on EM has finally 'turned on'....
It can be a tough lake to fish...
Congratulations to the Anglers....and thanks for the posts and pics !!! thumb

God Bless
Lee

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/17/16 04:41 AM

Finesse fishing in the wind is the same as any other fishing... just keep the rod low... 15-20 on EM isn't bad at all... plenty places to get out of the wind.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/17/16 12:48 PM

I'll finesse on 1/2oz if I have to just up size your shacky head

Re: Eagle Mountain - 10/17/16 12:56 PM

I'll finesse on 1/2oz if I have to just up size your shacky head

thumb 3/8 on the shakey head and weighted EWG hooks on the dingers, boat control is key as well as locations of cover and water for these baits to work. Me personally like a good frog bite banana peep
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum