Texas Fishing Forum

Baitcast finesse setup

Posted By: dreamweaver96

Baitcast finesse setup - 08/20/16 10:42 PM

Ok guys... I know everyone loves finesse fishing on spinning gear. Not me. I hate spinning tackle. I suck with it and can't cast nearly as accurate with it. Lol

What kind of setup would you recommend for dropshots and shaky heads? Rod and reel and line. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Baitcast finesse setup - 08/20/16 11:05 PM

Spinning gear! 6'10 GLX 823S with a Shimano Saro's, 12lb fluro.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Baitcast finesse setup - 08/20/16 11:48 PM

Just pick up a bait cast reel, put 8-12 pound line on it and use a medium Rod... You'll pick up a spinning reel soon though, especially on windy days!
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Baitcast finesse setup - 08/20/16 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: GROD
Just pick up a bait cast reel, put 8-12 pound line on it and use a medium Rod... You'll pick up a spinning reel soon though, especially on windy days!

thumb
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Baitcast finesse setup - 08/21/16 02:08 AM

I use a custom built 8' rod that is a 2.9 power rod. It is built on teh Shikari P803 blannk. I use the old grennie Curado SF with it and LOVE it for all finesse techniques. You can also throw light CBs with it, which is what it was originally built for. I tie a shakey head AND a drop shot on teh same rod and often catch 2 fish at a time, when they are schooling. I would go with a M or ML fast action tip for this technique. I throw it further than any spinning combo and it works like a charm. The only problem I run itno is if I put a different weight shakey head on it and forget to adjust the tension nob. WORKS GREAT and you can really set the hook when you do it this way. OH, if you tie both on the same rig, DO NOT USE A CIRCLE HOOK!!!!!!!! The reason is that you do not know how to set the hook if you both both on there, just reel or cross their eyes. I forgot to mention, I use 10# McCoys Mean Green for this technique. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Baitcast finesse setup - 08/21/16 02:19 AM

A drop shot can be rigger with heavier than normal line, hooks, and sinkers, on casting gear. This works well when fishing in vegetation. Use a worm hook appropriate for the size and length worm you are using, Tesas rigged to make it weedless. Watch some YouTube videos on the bubba shot rig.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UuEHkjH2sbY
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Baitcast finesse setup - 08/21/16 02:39 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycfp_XvoZ1w
Posted By: Kyhokie

Re: Baitcast finesse setup - 08/21/16 03:52 AM

I've heard the old curado 50e greenies work nicely for finesse presentations.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum