Texas Fishing Forum

Loc r bar

Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Loc r bar - 08/20/16 04:47 PM

I have heard the comment multiple times about defeating a loc r bar, but has anyone seen it? I'm just looking for something to protect my boat when I travel. If anyone start using a sawzall at 2am. I'll hear it.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Loc r bar - 08/20/16 04:59 PM

Anything can be defeated. Just don't fall for the winching it off with your bow winch claim. I do think they could be pried off with a long pry bar or cut off with a sawall, but all that makes a ruckus. I look at them as a deterrent, not a failsafe product.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Loc r bar - 08/20/16 05:02 PM

Get the alarm lock for the loc r bar. If you're traveling, more than likely the boat will be outside your hotel room or in the hotel parking lot, or somewhere near you while you're asleep; you'll hear the alarm or somebody else will. It's a good deterrent, and very loud.
Posted By: Fishinreelslow

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 04:15 AM

357 Magnum will deter all theives

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishinreelslow

I choose a 40cal S&W but the best defense is prevention.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 01:08 PM

you gonna leave a note on your boat while you sleep? "Hey crack head! I am asleep in the hotel room, IF I hear you AND I wake up....I'm gonna shoot you"

Best bet is a Loc R Bar, alarm, boat cover, and most valuable removable stuff in the room with you.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 01:13 PM

Only if you sit in the boat all night with it!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
you gonna leave a note on your boat while you sleep? "Hey crack head! I am asleep in the hotel room, IF I hear you AND I wake up....I'm gonna shoot you"

Best bet is a Loc R Bar, alarm, boat cover, and most valuable removable stuff in the room with you.

Confederate Flag Wrap on your boat would be a good deterrent.........
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
I have heard the comment multiple times about defeating a loc r bar, but has anyone seen it? I'm just looking for something to protect my boat when I travel. If anyone start using a sawzall at 2am. I'll hear it.

The issue is how much damage does highly motivated but stupid meth monkey do to your boat trying to get in. Take stuff in, leave boxes unlocked so when they look they are empty and they move on. We learned a long time ago to leave registers open at night. They tear up a 10k register trying to get into it. All the 357 talk is silly.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 01:39 PM

I know if they want in bad enough or have time they can get in , its just a deterrent for me I think if they have to do to much work out in the public they would think twice about it or move on to one that does not have one.
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 01:41 PM

I made my own with 1" solid aluminum bar on the inside and 1 1/4" stainless on the outside. I slide them out wide and drilled a hole to put a padlock thru. I am aware that it could be gotten into, but it will keep honest people honest and slow a thief down enough that maybe I hear them.

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 02:49 PM

Honestly if I'm staying at a place with 6-10 other boats and mine has a loc r bar. I believe my odds are slim. I agree that taking your equipment out is the best but a full tournament load every night gets old and takes to much time. Thank y'all for input. The the gentleman that built his own. What did you use for the gunnel inserts?
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 03:16 PM

The few times I've stayed over night at a hotel, I'd take all my stuff in and just leave the storage boxes open.... You want to look inside, feel free, there's nothing in there, not even a life jacket.

I still remember the day when I was working in Corinth, a buddy's boat HAD (YES HAD) a lock r bar on it.. Someone took a hacksaw to it and sliced open the gunnels, they took everything...
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 04:22 PM

I'd never leave anything in the boat or my truck at the hotel. It's a pain but everything of value comes into the room with me. There's not an alarm or anti theft device made that I'd trust. I've never even tried checking my key to see if it works on the built in locks on my boat.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 04:37 PM

I have a car alarm system on my boat, lockable hatches have sensors and motion sensor is activated when boat is on trailer. I'm surprised they don't come with an alarm installed.....
Posted By: irbf

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 06:35 PM

BassCats come with an alarm.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: irbf
BassCats come with an alarm.

Cool, didn't know that, good for them!

Re: Loc r bar - 08/21/16 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: bronco71
I have a car alarm system on my boat, lockable hatches have sensors and motion sensor is activated when boat is on trailer. I'm surprised they don't come with an alarm installed.....

BASSCAT does on the premier boats. Not the advantage sp.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Loc r bar - 08/22/16 12:55 AM

what I figure is they probably know getting into a boat with a loc r bar maybe trouble, but the one parked next to it without one is a quick in and out.
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Loc r bar - 08/22/16 12:12 PM

Yes my cat has an alarm system but I still use the bar. Would not have a boat without the bar as I like it for making pit stops on the road like eating etc. when I stay in a hotel however, I take 20 mins in the evening and morning and take my gear inside.
Posted By: **TheLoneRanger**

Re: Loc r bar - 08/22/16 01:01 PM

The locker bar is definitely a theft deterrent... If my boat is parked next to yours... I have one and you don't... Thief will definitely go to your boat before mine... Thieves Look for quick and easy...
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Loc r bar - 08/22/16 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Honestly if I'm staying at a place with 6-10 other boats and mine has a loc r bar. I believe my odds are slim. I agree that taking your equipment out is the best but a full tournament load every night gets old and takes to much time. Thank y'all for input. The the gentleman that built his own. What did you use for the gunnel inserts?

I have made my own also. I used a bolt with Stack Washers on top cap facing in of the boat so the metal tube can fit over it. If they try and cut that part the blade will slide between the washers and bind. It is inside the tube sleeve anyways and they don't know what it looks like. Not the prettiest but it works fine for 2 different boats. I think I had 3/4" stack washers to fit inside my slide pipe. Approx 1" long sticking out but not that much of a problem with the rods on the deck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum